The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Malone To The Canucks Is Not A Good Idea

406281dylan

I know everyone who is a fan of the Canucks wants malone because he is big and gritty but take in to account that you are trading olympic gold goltender luongo and I can tell u that malone's value comes no where near luongos i dont want to see the canucks pay malone his overpaid contract for the next 5 years either. To be honest the canucks have a good third line center in lapierre. They really need a second line winger and a d man. That is why i think if we will be sending lu to tampa i rather get victor hedman back from them who they probably wont give us, that is why it is wiser to send lu to toronto.

Malone's contract is even worse than Luongo's. He wouldn't even be a top 6 forward on this team.

No to Malone, but I seriously doubt Yzerman is dumb enough to give up Hedman for Luongo, unless he's either really high on Luongo, or really unsatisfied with Hedman.

I don't see Ryan Malone's contract as being that bad.

He only has 3 years left on his at a cap hit of $4.5M per and his contract was front loaded which means in real dollar value the Canucks would only have to pay $8M over the next 3 years.

He is only 32, a year younger than Luongo. I would have no problem taking Malone for Luongo although I actually don't think TB would do it straight up because Luongo's contract is way worse.

Also, Malone is a winger not a center.

I don't see Ryan Malone's contract as being that bad.

He only has 3 years left on his at a cap hit of $4.5M per and his contract was front loaded which means in real dollar value the Canucks would only have to pay $8M over the next 3 years.

He is only 32, a year younger than Luongo. I would have no problem taking Malone for Luongo although I actually don't think TB would do it straight up because Luongo's contract is way worse.

Not getting a deal done with Tampa doesn't automatically mean we should get one done with TO. Esp. when all of TO's players are massively overrated.

Say what you want about Malone's contract, but he's the real deal. The only question i'd have about him is injury-related and if he'll be as good up here in Vancouver. Is Malone American? He'd be an upgrade on Higgins for the Amex line if so.

Btw TO wants Malone too, but they don't have the assets to get him. TB wants to keep him. Cheers.

TOML

You have to consider the other side of trade. TB can't afford to take on Luongo's cap hit without dumping some of theirs. I really can't see anyone taking Luongo and not sending a significant contract back the other way.

Btw, it is very likely the cap will go up again this year so given that a $4.5M cap hit really isn't overpaying Malone. If he were a UFA this offseason he would get that.

TO is more likely to land Tim Thomas. They have a recent trading history for starters. And Burke still believes in Reimer/Monster. He needs a stop-gap. Not an infinite contract.

TB doesn't have a Reimer/Monster, but you'd think Yzerman would want to get a younger guy than Luongo. On the other hand, he's not opposed to getting older guys. Like Roloson.

TB is a lot closer to winning than TO. A lot of people think they'll be elite with some goaltending. Be it Schneider or Luongo. That will give them a decent window to win soon. Where TO will still lose a lot of games, Luongo or not. Cheers.

TOML

Trading Luongo and Trading Schnedier are completely two different things.

If the organization wanted a hefty return, trading Cory would give you that return.

Trading Luongo, is getting rid of a contract they don't want anymore.

Trading Luongo means we don't have that commitment to him anymore, its not all about what we get in return. Getting Malone would be completely stupid.

The absolute best way to Trade Luongo is to a team that has cap space and won't need to send us salary the other way, making draft picks a very good return for us IMO.

Malone's contract is even worse than Luongo's. He wouldn't even be a top 6 forward on this team.

No to Malone, but I seriously doubt Yzerman is dumb enough to give up Hedman for Luongo, unless he's either really high on Luongo, or really unsatisfied with Hedman.

Archived