The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Do We Re-Ignite White Noise?

Scottish⑦Canuck

Rules need to be slacked. People need to be allowed to kick back and say whatever the hell they want sometimes - I'm not saying rules such as nudity btw...

It really is a shame that people like Pfizer are gone, but I do want to say that there is still hope; as one community of people declines, a new era begins!

Oh, and I'm just gonna comment on the whole banning people issue. It is total BS - that whole thing with Kanucks25, in particular, was retarded; that was the best topic I've read in a long time....I couldn't stop laughing...lol

Rules need to be slacked. People need to be allowed to kick back and say whatever the hell they want sometimes - I'm not saying rules such as nudity btw...

It really is a shame that people like Pfizer are gone, but I do want to say that there is still hope; as one community of people declines, a new era begins!

Oh, and I'm just gonna comment on the whole banning people issue. It is total BS - that whole thing with Kanucks25, in particular, was retarded; that was the best topic I've read in a long time....I couldn't stop laughing...lol

I've made the Entertainment forum, as a few people have asked for that in the past.

I want to stay away from sub-forums, they tend to be hidden and never attract more interest.

If you guys are interested in stats, Off-Topic is the fourth most frequented forum right now, after Canucks Talk(which dwarfs everything else), Trades & Rumours, and General Hockey. White Noise is 8th, behind Prospects, doing about 1/10 the traffic of Off-Topic.

Being the off-season, I'm pretty open to changing things up with regards to WN and Off-topic, whether it's a merger, massive slackening of rules(which imo have been pretty slack already lately), permanent disposal of trash threads etc. If you guys can think of things that will attract your friends/random people, we'll try to make it happen.

Gooooo community dialog.

I've made the Entertainment forum, as a few people have asked for that in the past.

I want to stay away from sub-forums, they tend to be hidden and never attract more interest.

If you guys are interested in stats, Off-Topic is the fourth most frequented forum right now, after Canucks Talk(which dwarfs everything else), Trades & Rumours, and General Hockey. White Noise is 8th, behind Prospects, doing about 1/10 the traffic of Off-Topic.

Being the off-season, I'm pretty open to changing things up with regards to WN and Off-topic, whether it's a merger, massive slackening of rules(which imo have been pretty slack already lately), permanent disposal of trash threads etc. If you guys can think of things that will attract your friends/random people, we'll try to make it happen.

Gooooo community dialog.

Why not just eliminate the board rules altogether if CDC is so desperate to attract new users?

It was pointed out before that those who made WN their own personal sandbox to play in very rarely, if ever, contributed anything anywhere else on the board.

Necroposting and bumping threads that are 3 and 4 years old does not encourage longtime posters to come into WN or OT. If anything, it makes them throw their hands up and click the sign out button.

I would think those in charge at CDC would want to be attracting quality posters, not just (if I may borrow from Wetcoaster) a bunch of prepubescent humanoids who are only here to push the envelope in WN for sh*ts and giggles.

"massive slackening of rules" was terrible wording on my part. More an adjustment of moderation style to account for different or more varied content, if that makes sense. I agree necroposting and spam will not help anything, and I'm definitely leaning more to increasing quality by removing trash/spam threads altogether.

"massive slackening of rules" was terrible wording on my part. More an adjustment of moderation style to account for different or more varied content, if that makes sense. I agree necroposting and spam will not help anything, and I'm definitely leaning more to increasing quality by removing trash/spam threads altogether.

I think we need to unban some old users, RoyalFlush2233 comes to mind, I'm sure he still checks CDC daily.

No to this. Members are only banned when they're acting like complete morons with little hope of improvement. We've tried allowing people back in the past and the failure rate is 100%. Trolls will always be trolls.

No to this. Members are only banned when they're acting like complete morons with little hope of improvement. We've tried allowing people back in the past and the failure rate is 100%. Trolls will always be trolls.

I completely agree. I believe what made the old Off Topic great was the real sense of honesty and integrity while allowing a wider range of content. I've used the word conversation in this thread a few times already, but that's what made the Off Topic forum so charming between 2006 and 2007. Greater tolerance of more types of threads would make Off Topic a more diverse place with more types of posters.

I feel gimmicks and trash threads, however, do not belong. I am opposed to the posting of suggestive or vulgar images, and I do feel, in particular, "game threads" need to be more heavily moderated. I do not want Off Topic to be flooded with the types of threads we currently see in White Noise; if game threads are to be made, I feel each should be significantly different in premise, or else they should be locked for being a duplicate thread.

I recall, in 2007, we had 2 or 3 game threads in Off Topic, each of which required a few moments of thought in order to contribute. One of them, for example, was a riddle thread; one would answer a riddle, then post the next one. We certainly do not need a 4 or 5 threads each asking users "What is your favourite _____?" The simpler games, such as the ones asking posters to "count to _____," or "post when ______," "this or that," and "ask _____" need to be eliminated entirely; those are trash threads with little substance. Trash threads would need to be locked. Trolling attempts, likewise, should be locked.

Perhaps the culture has changed, but I don't think things have changed enough from 2007 to make a combined Off Topic/White Noise less successful. A more diverse approach to Off Topic, a greater tolerance for more types of threads and "banter", as well a greater crackdown on duplicate threads and trash threads would make Off Topic a great place for everybody to visit and contribute.

I think, if we were to merge White Noise and Off Topic, it shouldn't be a literal merging of the two forums. I would rather we incorporate some of the aspects of White Noise, but actually delete/lock the current White Noise and start over. This would prevent the mess that merging the two forums would cause.

I completely agree. I believe what made the old Off Topic great was the real sense of honesty and integrity while allowing a wider range of content. I've used the word conversation in this thread a few times already, but that's what made the Off Topic forum so charming between 2006 and 2007. Greater tolerance of more types of threads would make Off Topic a more diverse place with more types of posters.

I feel gimmicks and trash threads, however, do not belong. I am opposed to the posting of suggestive or vulgar images, and I do feel, in particular, "game threads" need to be more heavily moderated. I do not want Off Topic to be flooded with the types of threads we currently see in White Noise; if game threads are to be made, I feel each should be significantly different in premise, or else they should be locked for being a duplicate thread.

I recall, in 2007, we had 2 or 3 game threads in Off Topic, each of which required a few moments of thought in order to contribute. One of them, for example, was a riddle thread; members would answer a riddle, then post the next one. We certainly do not need a 4 or 5 threads each asking users "What is your favourite _____?" The simpler games, such as the ones asking posters to "count to _____," or "post when ______," "this or that," and "ask _____" need to be eliminated entirely; those are trash threads with little substance. Trash threads would need to be locked. Trolling attempts, likewise, should be locked.

Perhaps the culture has changed, but I don't think things have changed enough from 2007 to make a combined Off Topic/White Noise less successful. A more diverse approach to Off Topic, a greater tolerance for more types of threads and "banter", as well a greater crackdown on duplicate threads and trash threads would make Off Topic a great place for everybody to visit and contribute.

I think, if we were to merge White Noise and Off Topic, it shouldn't be a literal merging of the two forums. I would rather we incorporate some of the aspects of White Noise, but actually delete/lock the current White Noise and start over. This would prevent the mess that merging the two forums would cause.

Archived