Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

How Do We Re-Ignite White Noise?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#31 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,864 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Posted Image

Do cheap hotel rooms look the same everywhere?

#32 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,660 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

"Who is the Nudest Chick in the World Right Now?"

#33 Redacted

Redacted

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

I wish it was the same as it used to be. It was really the only reason why I ever came to these boards and now I maybe show up once a week and never even post.
People talk about pressure like it's something negative. Pressure means your actions have meaning, that people care about whether you succeed or fail. Pressure is everything.

#34 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,864 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

It won't be by having the first half of the page looking like this...

Funny Pics

Started by CanucksLegacy, 18 Nov 2011 Posted Image Posted Image
When was the last time you...

Started by Vintage Canuck., 12 Jul 2011 Posted Image Posted Image
True or False

Started by metaphoracle, 06 Apr 2009 Posted Image Posted Image
Eat Or Spit.......

Started by Vintage Canuck., 02 Jul 2010 Posted Image Picture Association Game

Started by Vintage Canuck., Yesterday, 10:19 PM

These are threads that no one reads, they just look at the last post and get a nice little +1 postcount for thinking half a second and BLAH, throw their little bits in. It is why I tried to have these so-called "terrible threads" moved out and it is their advent that has killed off any sense of community in this forum.

#35 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,504 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

So, are you trying to say that Vintage Canuck is the worst WNer of all time?
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#36 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

As I proposed earlier in this thread, I think the community was at its finest when posters were free to express themselves and veer slightly off topic in the Off Topic forum. The Off Topic section contained a mixture of different types of threads and people seemed enthused and excited to banter in news-related threads, forum game threads, and other off-topic discussions.

You can check the archives and browse between June and September 2007 for a good idea of the types of threads that existed. They were fun to be a part of.

http://forum.canucks..._all__st__27360

http://forum.canucks..._all__st__27240

"Temp in Surrey OMG"

"7-Eleven-Day, July 11, 2007"

"Warning: do not rob bank disguised as a tree"

"My stupid idiotic accidents."

We saw threads like these every day. We could expect a lot of short, conversational responses regarding almost any topic, and they would always reach two or three pages at least.

Threads like these formed a sense of community -- threads about people's immediate problems, and requests for advice. The Off-Topic posters were very animated and colorful, and we could expect a mixture of comedic banter and actual advice.

http://forum.canucks...-help-sleeping/

A conversational Off Topic is what we need. The ability to stop in to Off Topic for a few minutes, post a few quick responses, then come back a few minutes later and continue the conversation is what we're missing now. Off Topic isn't a place for casual conversation anymore.

Edited by WeatherWise, 11 May 2012 - 04:22 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#37 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,497 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

As I proposed earlier in this thread, I think the community was at its finest when posters were free to express themselves and veer slightly off topic in the Off Topic forum. The Off Topic section contained a mixture of different types of threads and people seemed enthused and excited to banter in news-related threads, forum game threads, and other off-topic discussions.

You can check the archives and browse between June and September 2007 for a good idea of the types of threads that existed. They were fun to be a part of.

http://forum.canucks..._all__st__27360

http://forum.canucks..._all__st__27240

Threads like these formed a sense of community -- threads about people's immediate problems, and requests for advice. The Off-Topic posters were very animated and colorful, and we could expect a mixture of comedic banter and actual advice.

http://forum.canucks...-help-sleeping/

Didn't White Noise also have different names like "Brown Noise" "Double Rainbow Noise"?

307mg00.jpg

#38 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,864 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

So, are you trying to say that Vintage Canuck is the worst WNer of all time?

That would be a personal attack, and I don't do those.
I am a well-mannered, gentleman of a poster.

#39 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

Didn't White Noise also have different names like "Brown Noise" "Double Rainbow Noise"?

The White Noise introduced in late 2008 was a completely separate entity. When it was created, it separated the conversational threads from the serious ones, restricted conversation, and fragmented the community. Certain rules were more heavily enforced afterward in Off Topic, and posters were expected to keep the conversational threads in this corner of the forum.

Most of the 2007 posters had left by that time. The integration of Off Topic and White Noise was what made the place lively. "White Noise" is a place to hide the more creative threads and eliminate the casual talk. Nobody except for a small group of posters checks this White Noise section. The old Off Topic, meanwhile, was where all sorts of posters encountered and interacted with one another.

I used to be one of the most active posters in the Off Topic forum. I gave this new section a chance, but it was never the same. In 2008, the moderators may have been at the height of their enforcement of rules. White Noise was essentially a trash pile where threads that didn't belong in Off Topic were moved. Off Topic lost a lot of character, and only a select few visited White Noise.

Off Topic has become a very cold and uninspired place to be. People are expected to discuss in a very composed, thoughtful manner. While it isn't necessarily a bad thing to some extent, I know for a fact it isn't what Off Topic was all about before.

Characters like Cymbaline, SportCrazy, captainkirk, sarah, and all the other fun characters have disappeared alongside the old Off Topic. It's a real shame.

Edited by WeatherWise, 12 May 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#40 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,497 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

The White Noise introduced in late 2008 was a completely separate entity. When it was created, it eliminated the conversational threads from the serious ones, restricted conversation, and fragmented the community. Certain rules were more heavily enforced afterward in Off Topic, and posters were expected to keep the conversational threads in this corner of the forum.

Most of the 2007 posters had left by that time. The integration of Off Topic and White Noise was what made the place lively. "White Noise" is a place to hide the more creative threads and eliminate the casual talk. Nobody except for a small group of posters checks this White Noise section. The old Off Topic, meanwhile, was where all sorts of posters encountered and interacted with one another.

I used to be one of the most active posters in the Off Topic forum. I gave this new section a chance, but it was never the same.

My Proposal would be:

Move the 'Whitecaps, Lions, and other sports' forum to Off-Topic Forum as it has only 2-3 threads that are active which doesn't deserve it's own Forum as well as White Noise as you mentioned. Then have a huge Entertainment forum where we can discuss about movies, tv shows, music, arts etc... and move the 'Gaming' to Entertainment and make it as a sub-forum. Lastly, leave the 'Creative and Media Forum' the way it is.

So something like this:

Off-Topic Forum (Discuss other sports, politics, religion, recent news etc.)

Entertainment (Discuss movies, tv shows, music, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.)
Sub-Forums: Gaming

Creative and Media Forum (For exchange of sig files, avatars and wallpapers. Also a place to show off your videos and art (Canucks related or not)
Sub-Forums: Request Forum, Showcase

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stealth should try it out for a week or so. Then see if it's successful or not.

Edited by Vintage Canuck., 11 May 2012 - 04:36 PM.

307mg00.jpg

#41 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

Honestly, I think it would be great to go back to the old format with a few tweaks.

General Discussion
1. Off Topic (Discuss other sports, politics, religion, recent news, movies, tv shows, music, upcoming events, concerts, food, travel, forum games, forum activities, advice, weather, personal stories, casual discussion, etc)
Sub-Forum: Gaming (console gaming, PC gaming)

2. Creative and Media Forum
Sub-Forum: Request Forum, Showcase

The rules should still apply, but users should be allowed to discuss topics more casually in Off Topic.

Edited by WeatherWise, 11 May 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#42 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,497 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

Honestly, I think it would be great to go back to the old format with a few tweaks.

General Discussion
1. Off Topic (Discuss other sports, politics, religion, recent news, movies, tv shows, music, upcoming events, concerts, food, travel, forum games, forum activities, advice, casual discussion, etc)
Sub-Forum: Gaming (console gaming, PC gaming)

2. Creative and Media Forum
Sub-Forum: Request Forum, Showcase

Creative and Media Forum has also been pretty dead since guys like Syntax, Pfizer, CF00 all left.

307mg00.jpg

#43 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

In doing so, however, I believe the structure of certain White Noise threads would need to be changed, and certain threads prohibited. "Ask ___" threads, for example, should not be allowed, as too many would promote monotony.

Perhaps we'll see a change eventually.

#44 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,497 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

I also miss the old CDC layout:

Posted Image

307mg00.jpg

#45 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

^ When was that?

I'm new(sort of)
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#46 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,864 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

^ When was that?

I'm new(sort of)

Obviously "Today, 9:15PM".

#47 Tig'ol Bitties

Tig'ol Bitties

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Rules need to be slacked. People need to be allowed to kick back and say whatever the hell they want sometimes - I'm not saying rules such as nudity btw...

It really is a shame that people like Pfizer are gone, but I do want to say that there is still hope; as one community of people declines, a new era begins!

Oh, and I'm just gonna comment on the whole banning people issue. It is total BS - that whole thing with Kanucks25, in particular, was retarded; that was the best topic I've read in a long time....I couldn't stop laughing...lol

Edited by Ti'gol Bitties, 11 May 2012 - 08:51 PM.

3Goktj2.jpg

#48 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,530 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by avelanch, 11 May 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#49 Slender Man

Slender Man

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

~ FREE iE. ~

#50 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,497 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Rules need to be slacked. People need to be allowed to kick back and say whatever the hell they want sometimes - I'm not saying rules such as nudity btw...

It really is a shame that people like Pfizer are gone, but I do want to say that there is still hope; as one community of people declines, a new era begins!

Oh, and I'm just gonna comment on the whole banning people issue. It is total BS - that whole thing with Kanucks25, in particular, was retarded; that was the best topic I've read in a long time....I couldn't stop laughing...lol

I think I saw Pfizer posting some months ago. I guess some members are not banned they just don't come here anymore.

307mg00.jpg

#51 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

Keeping it real

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

I've made the Entertainment forum, as a few people have asked for that in the past.

I want to stay away from sub-forums, they tend to be hidden and never attract more interest.

If you guys are interested in stats, Off-Topic is the fourth most frequented forum right now, after Canucks Talk(which dwarfs everything else), Trades & Rumours, and General Hockey. White Noise is 8th, behind Prospects, doing about 1/10 the traffic of Off-Topic.

Being the off-season, I'm pretty open to changing things up with regards to WN and Off-topic, whether it's a merger, massive slackening of rules(which imo have been pretty slack already lately), permanent disposal of trash threads etc. If you guys can think of things that will attract your friends/random people, we'll try to make it happen.

Gooooo community dialog.

#52 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

Keeping it real

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Also Vintage, you really need to post less. Every once in a while I actually start worrying about the health of certain posters. You are one of them.

#53 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Also Vintage, you really need to post less. Every once in a while I actually start worrying about the health of certain posters. You are one of them.

lol

edit:

Posted Image

Edited by GodzillaDeuce, 12 May 2012 - 10:05 AM.

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#54 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

I've made the Entertainment forum, as a few people have asked for that in the past.

I want to stay away from sub-forums, they tend to be hidden and never attract more interest.

If you guys are interested in stats, Off-Topic is the fourth most frequented forum right now, after Canucks Talk(which dwarfs everything else), Trades & Rumours, and General Hockey. White Noise is 8th, behind Prospects, doing about 1/10 the traffic of Off-Topic.

Being the off-season, I'm pretty open to changing things up with regards to WN and Off-topic, whether it's a merger, massive slackening of rules(which imo have been pretty slack already lately), permanent disposal of trash threads etc. If you guys can think of things that will attract your friends/random people, we'll try to make it happen.

Gooooo community dialog.

Why not just eliminate the board rules altogether if CDC is so desperate to attract new users?

It was pointed out before that those who made WN their own personal sandbox to play in very rarely, if ever, contributed anything anywhere else on the board.

Necroposting and bumping threads that are 3 and 4 years old does not encourage longtime posters to come into WN or OT. If anything, it makes them throw their hands up and click the sign out button.

I would think those in charge at CDC would want to be attracting quality posters, not just (if I may borrow from Wetcoaster) a bunch of prepubescent humanoids who are only here to push the envelope in WN for sh*ts and giggles.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 12 May 2012 - 10:07 AM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#55 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,168 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

If BananaMash was Mayor Supreme Overlord of white noise we'd have many more visitors. I don't know about more relaxed rules though, it already seems pretty relaxed.

Posted Image

#56 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,977 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Tears coming to my eyes at the moment.

I think we need to unban some old users, RoyalFlush2233 comes to mind, I'm sure he still checks CDC daily.

I used to frequent the "Terrible Threads", and yes, they need permanent elimination.

Edited by Caboose, 12 May 2012 - 10:08 AM.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#57 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,168 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Funniest thing I've read all day.

Posted Image

#58 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

Keeping it real

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

Why not just eliminate the board rules altogether if CDC is so desperate to attract new users?

It was pointed out before that those who made WN their own personal sandbox to play in very rarely, if ever, contributed anything anywhere else on the board.

Necroposting and bumping threads that are 3 and 4 years old does not encourage longtime posters to come into WN or OT. If anything, it makes them throw their hands up and click the sign out button.

I would think those in charge at CDC would want to be attracting quality posters, not just (if I may borrow from Wetcoaster) a bunch of prepubescent humanoids who are only here to push the envelope in WN for sh*ts and giggles.

"massive slackening of rules" was terrible wording on my part. More an adjustment of moderation style to account for different or more varied content, if that makes sense. I agree necroposting and spam will not help anything, and I'm definitely leaning more to increasing quality by removing trash/spam threads altogether.

#59 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,977 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

"massive slackening of rules" was terrible wording on my part. More an adjustment of moderation style to account for different or more varied content, if that makes sense. I agree necroposting and spam will not help anything, and I'm definitely leaning more to increasing quality by removing trash/spam threads altogether.

I am all for the merging of Off Topic and WN, if you do recall I made a thread about the subject last year, not sure why it was deleted.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#60 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

Keeping it real

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

I think we need to unban some old users, RoyalFlush2233 comes to mind, I'm sure he still checks CDC daily.

No to this. Members are only banned when they're acting like complete morons with little hope of improvement. We've tried allowing people back in the past and the failure rate is 100%. Trolls will always be trolls.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.