The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Do We Re-Ignite White Noise?

Scottish⑦Canuck

It won't be by having the first half of the page looking like this...

/topic/317913-funny-pics/">Funny Pics

Started by /user/85751-canuckslegacy/">CanucksLegacy, 18 Nov 2011

/user/63689-vintage-canuck/">photo-63689.jpg?_r=0

/topic/310819-when-was-the-last-time-you/unread/">t_unread.png

/topic/310819-when-was-the-last-time-you/">When was the last time you...

Started by /user/63689-vintage-canuck/">Vintage Canuck., 12 Jul 2011

/topic/230894-true-or-false/unread/">t_unread.png

/topic/230894-true-or-false/">True or False

Started by /user/36022-metaphoracle/">metaphoracle, 06 Apr 2009

/topic/280022-eat-or-spit/unread/">t_unread.png

/topic/280022-eat-or-spit/">Eat Or Spit.......

Started by /user/63689-vintage-canuck/">Vintage Canuck., 02 Jul 2010

/topic/329654-picture-association-game/">Picture Association Game

Started by /user/63689-vintage-canuck/">Vintage Canuck., Yesterday, 10:19 PM

These are threads that no one reads, they just look at the last post and get a nice little +1 postcount for thinking half a second and BLAH, throw their little bits in. It is why I tried to have these so-called "terrible threads" moved out and it is their advent that has killed off any sense of community in this forum.

As I proposed earlier in this thread, I think the community was at its finest when posters were free to express themselves and veer slightly off topic in the Off Topic forum. The Off Topic section contained a mixture of different types of threads and people seemed enthused and excited to banter in news-related threads, forum game threads, and other off-topic discussions.

You can check the archives and browse between June and September 2007 for a good idea of the types of threads that existed. They were fun to be a part of.

/forum/4-off-topic-forum/page__prune_day__100__sort_by__Z-A__sort_key__last_post__topicfilter__all__st__27360">http://forum.canucks..._all__st__27360

/forum/4-off-topic-forum/page__prune_day__100__sort_by__Z-A__sort_key__last_post__topicfilter__all__st__27240">http://forum.canucks..._all__st__27240

Threads like these formed a sense of community -- threads about people's immediate problems, and requests for advice. The Off-Topic posters were very animated and colorful, and we could expect a mixture of comedic banter and actual advice.

/topic/166774-help-sleeping/">http://forum.canucks...-help-sleeping/

The White Noise introduced in late 2008 was a completely separate entity. When it was created, it eliminated the conversational threads from the serious ones, restricted conversation, and fragmented the community. Certain rules were more heavily enforced afterward in Off Topic, and posters were expected to keep the conversational threads in this corner of the forum.

Most of the 2007 posters had left by that time. The integration of Off Topic and White Noise was what made the place lively. "White Noise" is a place to hide the more creative threads and eliminate the casual talk. Nobody except for a small group of posters checks this White Noise section. The old Off Topic, meanwhile, was where all sorts of posters encountered and interacted with one another.

I used to be one of the most active posters in the Off Topic forum. I gave this new section a chance, but it was never the same.

Honestly, I think it would be great to go back to the old format with a few tweaks.

General Discussion

1. Off Topic (Discuss other sports, politics, religion, recent news, movies, tv shows, music, upcoming events, concerts, food, travel, forum games, forum activities, advice, casual discussion, etc)

Sub-Forum: Gaming (console gaming, PC gaming)

2. Creative and Media Forum

Sub-Forum: Request Forum, Showcase

Archived