Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

How Do We Re-Ignite White Noise?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#61 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,105 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

No to this. Members are only banned when they're acting like complete morons with little hope of improvement. We've tried allowing people back in the past and the failure rate is 100%. Trolls will always be trolls.

Fair enough.

Did the merge of the Gaming forum and WLaOS cause that massive lag spike? When did that occur?

And if you're planning on removing the spam threads, here is a helpful list.

http://forum.canucks...-last-time-you/

http://forum.canucks...sociation-game/

http://forum.canucks...22-eat-or-spit/

http://forum.canucks...-true-or-false/

http://forum.canucks...ount-to-100000/

http://forum.canucks...mber-above-you/

http://forum.canucks...user-above-you/

Edited by Caboose, 12 May 2012 - 10:25 AM.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#62 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

Keeping it real

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Fair enough.

Did the merge of the Gaming forum and WLaOS cause that massive lag spike? When did that occur?

Quote possibly. That was 20ish mins ago.

#63 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

:bigblush:

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#64 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

"massive slackening of rules" was terrible wording on my part. More an adjustment of moderation style to account for different or more varied content, if that makes sense. I agree necroposting and spam will not help anything, and I'm definitely leaning more to increasing quality by removing trash/spam threads altogether.

I completely agree. I believe what made the old Off Topic great was the real sense of honesty and integrity while allowing a wider range of content. I've used the word conversation in this thread a few times already, but that's what made the Off Topic forum so charming between 2006 and 2007. Greater tolerance of more types of threads would make Off Topic a more diverse place with more types of posters.

I feel gimmicks and trash threads, however, do not belong. I am opposed to the posting of suggestive or vulgar images, and I do feel, in particular, "game threads" need to be more heavily moderated. I do not want Off Topic to be flooded with the types of threads we currently see in White Noise; if game threads are to be made, I feel each should be significantly different in premise, or else they should be locked for being a duplicate thread.

I recall, in 2007, we had 2 or 3 game threads in Off Topic, each of which required a few moments of thought in order to contribute. One of them, for example, was a riddle thread; members would answer a riddle, then post the next one. We certainly do not need a 4 or 5 threads each asking users "What is your favourite _____?" The simpler games, such as the ones asking posters to "count to _____," or "post when ______," "this or that," and "ask _____" need to be eliminated entirely; those are trash threads with little substance. Trash threads would need to be locked. Trolling attempts, likewise, should be locked.

Perhaps the culture has changed, but I don't think things have changed enough from 2007 to make a combined Off Topic/White Noise less successful. A more diverse approach to Off Topic, a greater tolerance for more types of threads and "banter", as well a greater crackdown on duplicate threads and trash threads would make Off Topic a great place for everybody to visit and contribute.

I think, if we were to merge White Noise and Off Topic, it shouldn't be a literal merging of the two forums. I would rather we incorporate some of the aspects of White Noise, but actually delete/lock the current White Noise and start over. This would prevent the mess that merging the two forums would cause.

Edited by WeatherWise, 12 May 2012 - 12:01 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#65 Tig'ol Bitties

Tig'ol Bitties

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

I completely agree. I believe what made the old Off Topic great was the real sense of honesty and integrity while allowing a wider range of content. I've used the word conversation in this thread a few times already, but that's what made the Off Topic forum so charming between 2006 and 2007. Greater tolerance of more types of threads would make Off Topic a more diverse place with more types of posters.

I feel gimmicks and trash threads, however, do not belong. I am opposed to the posting of suggestive or vulgar images, and I do feel, in particular, "game threads" need to be more heavily moderated. I do not want Off Topic to be flooded with the types of threads we currently see in White Noise; if game threads are to be made, I feel each should be significantly different in premise, or else they should be locked for being a duplicate thread.

I recall, in 2007, we had 2 or 3 game threads in Off Topic, each of which required a few moments of thought in order to contribute. One of them, for example, was a riddle thread; one would answer a riddle, then post the next one. We certainly do not need a 4 or 5 threads each asking users "What is your favourite _____?" The simpler games, such as the ones asking posters to "count to _____," or "post when ______," "this or that," and "ask _____" need to be eliminated entirely; those are trash threads with little substance. Trash threads would need to be locked. Trolling attempts, likewise, should be locked.

Perhaps the culture has changed, but I don't think things have changed enough from 2007 to make a combined Off Topic/White Noise less successful. A more diverse approach to Off Topic, a greater tolerance for more types of threads and "banter", as well a greater crackdown on duplicate threads and trash threads would make Off Topic a great place for everybody to visit and contribute.

I think, if we were to merge White Noise and Off Topic, it shouldn't be a literal merging of the two forums. I would rather we incorporate some of the aspects of White Noise, but actually delete/lock the current White Noise and start over. This would prevent the mess that merging the two forums would cause.

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with this 100%. Thank you for saying what I was thinking.

3Goktj2.jpg

#66 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

I recall, in 2007, we had 2 or 3 game threads in Off Topic, each of which required a few moments of thought in order to contribute. One of them, for example, was a riddle thread; members would answer a riddle, then post the next one. We certainly do not need a 4 or 5 threads each asking users "What is your favourite _____?" The simpler games, such as the ones asking posters to "count to _____," or "post when ______," "this or that," and "ask _____" need to be eliminated entirely; those are trash threads with little substance. Trash threads would need to be locked. Trolling attempts, likewise, should be locked.

I nominate you to moderate your suggested merger

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#67 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,100 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

Also Vintage, you really need to post less. Every once in a while I actually start worrying about the health of certain posters. You are one of them.

Posted Image

PS, if you wanna get rid of Spam threads, go right ahead. Then merge White Noise with Off-Topic.

Edited by Vintage Canuck., 12 May 2012 - 06:57 PM.

307mg00.jpg

#68 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Also Vintage, you really need to post less. Every once in a while I actually start worrying about the health of certain posters. You are one of them.

I know, right? 29,000 posts in 2 years. That's ridiculous. I think this calls for an...

Posted Image

#69 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 72,100 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

If you guys are interested in stats, Off-Topic is the fourth most frequented forum right now, after Canucks Talk(which dwarfs everything else), Trades & Rumours, and General Hockey. White Noise is 8th, behind Prospects, doing about 1/10 the traffic of Off-Topic.

I don't really think 'Junior Hockey Discussion' needs it's own forum. It's only the Big Draft that occurs once a year and some young decent prospects that need to be discussed about most of the time. We can probably merge it with 'General Hockey Discussion'.

307mg00.jpg

#70 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,512 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

Vintage, how old are you?

(Just curious, not setting you up for a personal attack)
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#71 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Vintage, how old are you?

(Just curious, not setting you up for a personal attack)

Well, I guess he thinks he's old enough to drive because he said in a status update a day or two ago he goes and gets gas in the States.

We all know that's a crock of crap though.

EDIT: Grammar.

Edited by Bryan McCabe.24, 12 May 2012 - 09:59 PM.

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#72 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:29 AM

White Noise needs a 'can I tap that' thread

Whoa I just realized Bryan McCabe & Vintage Canuck aren't the same people :frantic:

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#73 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,856 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

White Noise needs a 'can I tap that' thread

is that a thread where people post objects and you say whether or not you can knock your finger/knuckles against it to create a tapping sound?
I'll create that right now!

Edited by avelanch, 14 May 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#74 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

I've made the Entertainment forum, as a few people have asked for that in the past.

Just to confirm......

If I want to talk about movies now I have to wade through all that gaming crap?
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#75 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Just to confirm......

If I want to talk about movies now I have to wade through all that gaming crap?

Other sports is in there too. Not sure if I like that. Those might be better suited for OT.

Movies are in Entertainment, but TV shows are in OT?
Posted Image

Edited by JustJokinen!, 14 May 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#76 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,105 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Obviously the merger needs some ironing out.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#77 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:21 AM

is that a thread where people post objects and you say whether or not you can knock your finger/knuckles against it to create a tapping sound?
I'll create that right now!

Yeah actually, that's exactly what I meant. I'm glad you figured it out on your own without explanation. You're awesome avelanch!

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#78 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.