The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would You..

lappykass

Right now if you could, would you trade Kesler for Weber? This exact thread was started last season, and move of you guys said no. But now, would you?

Honestly, I would only trade Kesler for Weber and that's it. I wouldn't take another player in a 1 for 1 trade.

What are your thoughts?

Yes, in a heartbeat. Kesler is a tremendous hockey player, but we've NEVER had a Weber and he'd be a force for another decade. With the reckless way that Kesler plays, I wonder about the wear and tear on his body four or five years from now. It's academic though because such a deal could never happen.

Yes, in a heartbeat. Kesler is a tremendous hockey player, but we've NEVER had a Weber and he'd be a force for another decade. With the reckless way that Kesler plays, I wonder about the wear and tear on his body four or five years from now. It's academic though because such a deal could never happen.

I would have said yes last year because our D was playing like our D should, but this year, I would definitely say yes because I don't know what to expect from our D-corp at the moment.

Weber gets a solid 50-60 points with a Defense first Nashville, so imagine his point total on the PP? He could replace 75-90% of Kesler's offense while improving our D.

Kesler = Borderline 1st line center and Top-4 player on a Cup contending team

Weber = Franchise D-man and Top-3 player on a Cup Contending team

If you're referring to Weber for Kesler, you are thinking with your heart and not your head.

Weber is consistently one of the top 4 D men in the league. This year's Norris candidate (again). Kesler had one great season and one series in the playoffs (in the last 2 years) where he stood out. Most of his points last year came on the League's hottest PP. He is a great shutdown center but more fitted to a 3rd line shutdown role/penalty kill than top 6 scorer. WIth Kesler, Pahlsson and Malhotra, AV has stacked this team with defensive shutdown men and insufficient offensive punch.

Kesler would be missed but he can be replaced, Weber is something we have never had and are likely to only see once in 20 years or more. It's like having a Chara. THese guys eat up 30 minutes a night of ice time, score and allow the forwards to be more aggressive because they are so effective defensively.

This team would do anything but crumble with Weber instead of Kesler.

Alexander Edler ($3,250,000) or Kevin Bieksa ($4,600,000)

David Booth ($4,250,000)

for Shea Weber ($7,500,000)

Exact value exchanged. Those two would be Nashville stars in a minute.

Alexander Edler isn't going to be that elite defenseman the Canucks are banking on. He's not fierce enough. He lays hits, has a great shot, and passes adeptly, but when it comes to defending the Sedins. He's absent.

That's what makes Bieksa much more valuable. His willingness to throw down or at least assume the mantle of "peacemaker by force" within a scrum makes Kevin the keeper.

Booth was good to have but hasn't panned out and will likely not. His finish was lacking. He was pushed off course to many times this year.

Kassian will be ready this fall. Oh sh!t he gunna be scary!

Augment the goalie trade.

Either may be traded. At this time Luongo is rumoured to have submitted a list to Gillis listing teams he would be fine being traded to. If New Jersey is one.....we have a chance for something special. We could package

Either goalie

Schnieder ($3-4,250,000) projected or Roberto Luongo ($5,333,3333)

Mason Raymond ($2,250,000)

Andrew Alberts ($1,225,000)

Aaron Rome ($900,000)

for

Zach Parise (($6,000,000)

Immediately our top 6 forwards look insanely good. We shed some repetitve defense that is replaceable now with Tanev and Gragnani. Weber can give them advice.

We can also use some cap space to sign Colton Orr and George Parros

Total cap hit: $1,875,000

Ass-kicking ability: Priceless

If not to keep both goalies by trading off Raymond and the two defensemen for cap space for Schneider, and keeping Luongo. We can afford to play Schneider more of Salo also retires. I hope he doesn't. Salo may pass on some Jedi knowledge to Weber.

Or we look to signing Justin Schultz. Wow a killer young defensive incubus in Tanev, Gragnani, and Schutlz with Shea Weber, Dan Hamhuis, Kevin Bieksa and Keith Ballard as their teachers?

An insanely stacked and powerful defense fronting the best tandem in the league in goal led by a multi-faceted lethal forward lineup.

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Jannik Hansen

Zach Parise - Ryan Kesler - Alexandre Burrows

Chris Higgins - Maxim Lapierre - Zack Kassian or Byron Bitz

Andrew Ebbett or Aaron Volpatti - Sammi Pahlsson - Manny Malholtra or George Parros or Colton Orr or Dale Weise

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber

Keith Ballard - Kevin Bieksa

Marc Andre Gragnani - Sami Salo/Chris Tanev

Cory Schneider

Eddie Lack - Joe Canatta

If that can't win us a Cup? Nothing ever will. Nothing

Archived