The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Does Toronto Have That Is Worth Luongo?

Ive got to say if Luongo goes to Florida for example..tell me which Canadian player are the Canadian media going to target..

We are in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and all they talk about is Luongo being traded...

These are the most boring playoffs I can remember. No Canadian team no Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh. All these teams put me to sleep..They all play the trap and a defensive system.

All the games going 2-1 3-1 1-0..

I agree with Gillis our game is going back to the TRAP SYSTEM. A very boring game.

I think its fair to say that we'd rather Hodgson than Kadri, and that both of these players are playmaking centers.

So doesn't it seem like a negative backtrack to trade for Kadri, considering his unproven NHL ability and the fact we just moved away from a playmaker on the third line.

Obviously Gillis doesn't wanna put Kesler on the wing, and obviously Kesler is too much $$ to play on the third line, so here we are stuck between Kesler's contract and a bad deadline trade.

The only thing worth getting from Toronto is Gardiner, Lupul, Kessel, Steckel or Franson. Phaneuf makes more than the Sedins, Kessel/Lupul are untouchable I'd presume, Schenn is a defensive brain-fart with no offensive upside, Kulemin is the worst of Toronto's 2nd line, Connolly's contract is atrocious given his last season, + he is a center as is Grabovski, who makes even more than Kesler, Armstrong would make sense if his contract was $1m less, Bozak isn't the right fit for the third line.

In the end, it looks to me like I would only want a combination of Gardiner/Franson/SteckelPicks. And no Gustuffuffuffffafffuffsfon back, I'd rather Lack gets the playing time or we sign someone even cheaper. Steckel can win faceoffs, is priced correctly for a 4th line Center, and would facilitate moving malhotra for pucks to free up $1.5m in cap. Espescially if we ended up taking a bad contract back, the Steckel will save a bit of cash there.

Also I like the idea of Ballard staying on the Canucks. I think moving him now is the wrong thing to do.

Lol. I find it hilarious people have not only assumed that mike gillis has chosen which goalie he is going forward with, but also have somehow figured out that luongo has already given him a list of teams to be traded to, AND THEN have magically read MG's mind in figuring that his only possible trade partner is the Leafs...

This thread deserves a big ol' facepalm.

Take deep breaths canuck fans, the off season doesnt start and end within the first few weeks of being eliminated.

Gonna be a long summer....

The biggest advantage to a trade with TO is that they have cap space to burn..........most teams Lu would want to go to would have to send equal salary back.........TO doesn't. That said Lupul would seem like the most likely player to come back as he has had problems with Carlyle in the past...........as far as Schenn goes, I think the skills and potential are stil there, but they've completely screwed up his development with unreal expectations and no one there to mentor him. I think he would do well in Van, mentored by Hamhuis,Salo, Bieksa etc etc

It's funny that all the teams likely to be on Lou's list are either not super off financially or are rivals, leaving us with Toronto as a trade partner.

We need input from regular Leaf (non fan) watcher to give us the lowdown on Franson v Schenn. Franson seems to me to have the bigger upside and would be a better fit for our heavy D pinching system. Other player info, beyond the paragraph available on thehockeynews, would go a long way.

Lol. I find it hilarious people have not only assumed that mike gillis has chosen which goalie he is going forward with, but also have somehow figured out that luongo has already given him a list of teams to be traded to, AND THEN have magically read MG's mind in figuring that his only possible trade partner is the Leafs...

This thread deserves a big ol' facepalm.

Take deep breaths canuck fans, the off season doesnt start and end within the first few weeks of being eliminated.

Gonna be a long summer....

I would take Phaneuf... straight up.

He is still young. He is physical. He has leadership qualities. He can score. He can run a PP. On a good team like the Canucks, Phaneuf would be a very solid player. I could see him being paired with Tanev.

To me, the only downside is his contract.

The Leafs will not move Gardiner or their #5 pick. Schenn, Franson and Steckel are all possibilities, too.

:towel::canucks:

Guest Dasein

Luke Schenn must be in the package, and this deal needs to be done as early as possible so that we can put Luke on the proper developmental path ASAP and out of that cancerous Toronto program.

Schenn has #1 shutdown capabilities and he can be that guy as early as next year. He's shown signs of it, but Ron Wilson killed his confidence this year. On a new team with deep playoff potential with a professional locker room like the Canucks, I can see Schenn finding his game and becoming that reliable 2nd pairing shutdown defenseman for Edler.

They have no one, but a first round pick #5 overall, but I don't see Brian Burke giving giving that up for Luongo. The Maple Leafs have for sure 3 picks in the 2nd round as well a possibility of a 4th, so he may want to give a couple of those away if anything, but I still wouldn't want that. Tampa Bay on the other hand has 2 first round picks, and a good chance they will be willing to hand one of those over for Luongo, and I would rather a 1st round pick then a 2nd round pick.

If you want to see which teams have which draft picks, check out this link:

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Lightning.htm

Gardiner is a real gem but Schenn has been one of their worst defenceman over the last few seasons. Just because he was drafted with high potential and is still young doesn't mean he's good for this team right now, which is when we're making our Cup runs. Schenn is brutal in his own zone and terrible positionally, no thanks.

I know no one wants this guy, but Phaneuf is exactly what this team needs. Say what you want, our defence is desperately lacking a big, mean, physical presence with solid leadership and also an ability to put up points. Phaneuf is the big, scary defenceman that our D core lacks, and is great in front of his own net - something we also lack (Bieksa and Edler are two of the worst, Hamhuis and Salo aren't much better because they aren't big and physical enough).

We could have used the big physical presence of Phaneuf against the big LA forwards, because our relatively small defencemen were embarassed.

Archived