The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Does Toronto Have That Is Worth Luongo?

you guys should really go over to the leafs message board and see what they are saying about this lu deal. you guys are saying things like gardiner, schenn, or the 5th overall pick. they are saying at best komisarik and kadri for lu. and for the most part the consensus over there is that they dont really want him. if you ask me we would be lucky to get luke schenn straight up for lu, gardiner will be off limits and it will proably take more than just lu to get the 5th overall pick from buke. if we do get the pick i hope forsberg is still availble woul be great to add another young talented power forward to our system.

Not so long when it comes to our goaltending situation. Other teams can start making offers to Schneider on July 1st unless the Canucks take him to arbitration. Arbitration is unlikely because the imposed deal is only one year and he is a UFA at the end of it. Gillis' decision is most likely going to be before July 1st.

exactly

i dont care how much toronto wants him

what the hell do they have we want , besides someone like kessel lol

luongo for kessel is the only trade i would want to happen , seriously

luongo would do more for toronto as far as helping them win then kessel does

kessel is a sniper that van needs

wont happen but still

i dont want anything besides that from that crapshoot of an organization

I still think people are overvaluing Luongo. The team that (hopefully) picks him up will have to eat that decade long contract...that's a deterrent enough without having to throw in multiple key pieces from their team. If Toronto actually offered up their #5 overall pick, I would be thrilled. I'm just hoping for a second round pick from somebody.

To Vancouver: Roberto Luongo.

From Vancouver: Roberto Luongo.

See what I did there? I think the organization has made it clear at this point that they stand by Luongo. Even with Schneider's excelling performance, I really have a hard time picturing them moving Roberto. I would expect them to move a player like Ballard to free up cap room to resign Schneider. Stop overthinking this "goalie controversy", because in all likelihood, nothing will change in this department.

Please, reread what I have just said, memorize it, change your oppinion to it, and pass on the word to the next person who makes a trade Luongo thread. Please and thankyou.

lol

laffs is the least likely destination. Lui wants a cup, not more BS media scrutiny like in Vancouver.

he will never agree to go there. Who the hell wants to miss the playoffs for another decade?

Tampa makes much more sense

Who the hell cares what the leafs fans are saying on their forum? The Maple Leafs are the team missing the playoffs every single year, if they want a good goaltender like Luongo they're going to have to pay us big for him, or they can sit there and rot looking from the outside of the playoffs for the next 5 years again.

It'd have to be an incredibly good deal too, I don't think we'd want to touch the majority of the Leafs team with a 100 foot pole, most of them are terrible. There's a reason they suck so badly, you know, and it isn't only "just because of bad management".

If Luongo DOES gets moved, Tampa is the more likely trade partner. They desperately need a goaltender and Lu's wife already lives in Florida.

Start with what the Canucks need:

An elite puck moving defenseman that can QB the powerplay.

A consistent 40+ goal threat from the wing.

A playmaking forward on the second line, preferably with size.

An elite shut down defenseman.

Do the Leafs have any of those?

No, they don't.

OK, I've thought about it thoroughly. The most gaping hole on the Nucks roster, and hardest position to fill through FA is a top 4 right handed d-man to play w/ Edler. There's maybe 2 on the market this summer (Wideman). Position can't be filled in Nucks system, cause they don't have one.

We know AV uses his pairings in specific roles: Ham-Juice are shutdown, Edler - ?? are offensive guys to play w/Sedins, 3rd paring is d-zone start guys. Who would compliment Edler that can move the puck, skate well, play on PP, smart enough to play w/ Sedins, and play top 4 minutes? Only Gardiner. Franson has never played a top 4 role (top 4 mins) in the NHL and struggled to stay in both Nash and TO lineup. Gillis can't risk that he's not capable of playing top 4 mins, he did that this yr and lost that battle.

Would Burkie want to give up Gardiner? Not likely, but he'd be less likely to part with his top 5 pick. If the goalie market is slim (which I think it will be), Burkie will have to part w/ Gardiner. Also, Justin Shultz is BFF w/ Gardiner - just sayin B)

Archived