Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Who Does Toronto Have That Is Worth Luongo?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
144 replies to this topic

#31 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

We got a lot of work to do before we can consider us a Stanley cup contender.

I know, right? Tons of work. A bad season (what did we do, win a lousy President's Trophy ... might as well be a participation badge) following a short off-season, injuries, and emotional fatigue (as the fanbase can certainly attest to) and you're right, we're practically the Edmonton Oilers.

And since I know that some people won't read the above as the dripping sarcasm it is: by the way, I think what you said is utter reactionary stupidity. A long way to go? Man, if two President's Trophies back-to-back is a long way to go, then 29 other teams (including the team that wins the cup this year) are in way worse shape than I thought. Did you even think about your comments for more then half a second before hitting the "post" button?

Edited by Remy, 29 April 2012 - 02:04 AM.

#32 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

Everyone is assuming where Lou is going, he just had a heart breaking loss and might change his mind about his future in van city, if he does go, don't expect gillis to settle for sh*t

#33 BZRK

BZRK

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

My boss is a die-hard Laffs fan, he says they wouldn't be interested in moving the 5th overall, Gardiner, or Schenn. He says he would take Luongo, Raymond and Ballard for Franson, Colborne, Gustavsson's rights, and a 2nd. I really like this package.

DARRENHELM

Posted Image

marinated.pea

#34 Grags2Kass

Grags2Kass

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

After living in ontario for awhile and watching Luke Schenn play all the time I want absolutely nothing to do with him. He's physical and strong and that's about it, he is awful defensively, he has constant loss of concentration issues, he is a slow skater, his puck moving skills are almost non existent, his shot is slow and not very powerful, he get's gassed quickly(might be one of his biggest issues). There's better choices just in free agency alone...
Posted Image

#35 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

My boss is a die-hard Laffs fan, he says they wouldn't be interested in moving the 5th overall, Gardiner, or Schenn. He says he would take Luongo, Raymond and Ballard for Franson, Colborne, Gustavsson's rights, and a 2nd. I really like this package.

that is horrible, huge overpayment by us.

Edited by Tm085, 29 April 2012 - 02:53 AM.

#36 Canuckz101

Canuckz101

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

There really is no hurry to trade Luongo right now. He is our property. He is signed. Let's get Schneider signed first before we settle this goalie controversy, see what teams are willing to pay for him when they can't offer sheet him. His value would be sky high then. If MG doesn't like the offers for Schneider at the draft, make him our #1 and trade Luongo to the team with the best offer. The draft is where it will all be settled but MG will explore all possibilities and see what teams are willing to pay for either of his goalies first before deciding on who to keep. He really means it when he says he is undecided. It is not a done deal that Luongo is leaving Vancouver. Not at all. But they do need to sign Schneider prior to the draft. This is an absolute must because it puts Vancouver in a very strong position to field the best possible offers for him out there. MG knows he can't make a decision yet until he knows what Vancouver would be receiving for either goalie. Then he'll weigh the best offers and make a decision that is best for the organization going forward....without emotions involved.

#37 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

So at this point in time it seems as if Luongos most likely destination this off-season is Toronto, but the question I ask is who do we get in return for our all-star goalie? some say they'd just accept their first round pick (I believe 5th overall) for Luongo, straight up, but I don't really think thats enough... I think the Canucks should look to get some players that can make a difference for the upcoming cup run.

And that made me think, who does Toronto have that could do this for us... and by that I mean who that is worth Luongo? There's no way wed be able to get Kessel which is the only real member of the leafs that is sought-after... Phaneuf... well not many people really want Phaneuf.

So who do you guys think we could get/want to get from the Leafs if this deal were to go down?

Oh god please don't let it be Phaneuf, he's so overrated and weak defensively.
"BoKnows53"
My stinky team isn't on top of the Standings anymore Waah waaahh, fire everyone because I say so

- New Era Canucks Fans

#38 briana

briana

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

Ive got to say if Luongo goes to Florida for example..tell me which Canadian player are the Canadian media going to target..

We are in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and all they talk about is Luongo being traded...

These are the most boring playoffs I can remember. No Canadian team no Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh. All these teams put me to sleep..They all play the trap and a defensive system.
All the games going 2-1 3-1 1-0..

I agree with Gillis our game is going back to the TRAP SYSTEM. A very boring game.

#39 briana

briana

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

If Gillis cannnot find a trading partner...what is Lu going to do...Is he going to retire or is he just going to sit on the bench and be a backup..

If he decides to stay in Florida and not play does his salary still count against the cap...

#40 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

Schenn.....righty, solid, young, potential and would be in his best interest to hide behind hamhuis, bieksa, and edler so we can grow at his own pace

Schenn can't find is own right hand let alone the puck on the ice. The guy has a season long cold that he cannot get rid of, all he does is cough up the puck!!!

Edited by canuckelhead70, 29 April 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#41 FaninON

FaninON

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

To Vancouver: Roberto Luongo.
From Vancouver: Roberto Luongo.

See what I did there? I think the organization has made it clear at this point that they stand by Luongo. Even with Schneider's excelling performance, I really have a hard time picturing them moving Roberto. I would expect them to move a player like Ballard to free up cap room to resign Schneider. Stop overthinking this "goalie controversy", because in all likelihood, nothing will change in this department.

Please, reread what I have just said, memorize it, change your oppinion to it, and pass on the word to the next person who makes a trade Luongo thread. Please and thankyou.

How do you not trade someone who basically begged to be traded on national TV?

#42 canuck25

canuck25

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

Luke Schenn.

#43 Sandro17

Sandro17

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

But that's all were interested in. If that were the case then the laffs would have to forget about Lu and miss the play-offs for the 8th year in a row.

#44 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'd be fine with Gardiner + Picks. There's no one else on their team that I want, especially given salaries and such. I really don't want Phaneuf or Schenn. Did anyone even watch Schenn last year? I don't want to have to bank on him having a bounce back year.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#45 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

I'd only trade Luongo to Toronto if we got Schenn and Gardiner in return.

Both of them.

Well good thing you aren't GM cause no way Burke would give up that.

I wouldn't mind Kadri, maybe a change of scenery could reboot his career since TO hasn't worked out for him yet. Would have to add something more than just Kadri but he could be a piece to the puzzle.

Edited by Russ, 29 April 2012 - 07:10 AM.

Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#46 fyrblaed

fyrblaed

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

your boss is retarded. why would burke pick up over $10 million in contracts and while shipping out less than 4? Will not happen in the cap era.

#47 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

From the first page of replies I am shocked at what people's idea of luongos worth is. 5th overall pick not enough? Lol.
Posted Image

#48 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,218 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

Tim Thomas, after TO acquires him instead. And a 1st. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#49 Ryan17Kesler17

Ryan17Kesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Do you guys honestly think Toronto will give up another first round pick? Burke is already getting flamed for doing that so many times before. I don't think they would trade their pick for luongo straight up. Or maybe not even at all

#50 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,218 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

What makes anyone think the Canucks will even draft anyone worthwhile, even if they do get TO's pick? The guy will just demand to be traded, bust, or perish. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#51 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

I'd be fine with Gardiner + Picks. There's no one else on their team that I want, especially given salaries and such. I really don't want Phaneuf or Schenn. Did anyone even watch Schenn last year? I don't want to have to bank on him having a bounce back year.

Schenn would be another project and could not be considered the major piece coming back if he came. Pheunuff & Kessel are two I don't want in the dressing room. Lupul had a big season but how old is he.

If Van got Gardiner does that sew up the Schultz signing? :)

#52 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Nobody. Really.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#53 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

If Lou goes to the Leaf's who would the Canucks want off that team, it seems like a big "OH GOD" moment who ever they get.

I hope his worth goes up I have a LOU jersey and a signed photo...(one of three LOU has one as well)

As for the Hawks...they have a few players that play hard and have scoring skill, however the hate factor between the two teams might be a problem in the dressing room. It seems like a mess no matter where you look... Some TV sportscasters have suggested Lou might stay and Cory might go...Time to flip a coin..."BALLS"

#54 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Lou is nuts to want to go to TO. Read the TO boards they don't want him already, if he plays inconsistent it will be Vancouver all over again.

#55 geezer2

geezer2

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

Come on dreamers Lu s contract is an albatross around anyones neck we will have to take an overpaid dud in return just to try and clear space. No one on TO who is over paid is of any remote interest to me ( they all are overpaid) this is not a trade that will end well I am not saying don't want it done but his contract will hurt his value

#56 Nicklasjensen46

Nicklasjensen46

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

With the market the way it is for goalies. Lots of teams are looking. And really besides Jonathan Bernier on he market there are no elite goalies out there. So luongo will fetch more than a couple players.

If varlomov gets a 1st rounder in return for him. Ben bishop get a 2nd rounder. No reason why Luo wouldnt fetch a phaneuf/scheen calibre player there first rounder and possibly a bottom 6 forward/5&6 depth player.

My 2012 Canucks
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hodgson
Sturm Malhotra Hansen
Sammuelson Lapiere Oreskovich

Hamhuis Bieska
Edler Salo
Tanev Ballard
Luongo Schnieder

#57 Beaken

Beaken

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

I almost hope we wait until the Rick Nash deal is done, then we can see what he went for and hopefully structure something very similar.

And I can't believe some of you think we'll give up Lu for one or two unproven young players. It will be a high draft pick, top prospect and then some junk to counter his contract

Edited by Beaken, 29 April 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#58 Southpop45

Southpop45

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

you guys should really go over to the leafs message board and see what they are saying about this lu deal. you guys are saying things like gardiner, schenn, or the 5th overall pick. they are saying at best komisarik and kadri for lu. and for the most part the consensus over there is that they dont really want him. if you ask me we would be lucky to get luke schenn straight up for lu, gardiner will be off limits and it will proably take more than just lu to get the 5th overall pick from buke. if we do get the pick i hope forsberg is still availble woul be great to add another young talented power forward to our system.

Edited by Southpop45, 29 April 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#59 Creed_17

Creed_17

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

I hear names like Schenn, Kadri, Lupul being thrown around. THOSE just aren't realistic. The FACT is is that whoever takes Luongo, is doing just that, taking him off our hands.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a 1st rounder, Komisarek (to send money the other way), and maybe an ok prospect.

We just aren't going to get a great return. It's the reality.
Posted Image
When everything is falling apart, and there is no reason to, we have to BELIEVE!

#60 Creed_17

Creed_17

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

What makes anyone think the Canucks will even draft anyone worthwhile, even if they do get TO's pick? The guy will just demand to be traded, bust, or perish. Cheers.

TOML

Wow...
Posted Image
When everything is falling apart, and there is no reason to, we have to BELIEVE!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.