Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustNazzy

Debunking The Roberto Luongo Myths

269 posts in this topic

This athlete with all the criticism has accomplished so much..In his Junior career..as a starter at won 2 Presidents Cups with 2 different teams. 1999 for Team Canada Junior lost in overtime 2-1 to Russia..getting peppered for 40+ shots.(no offence on that team either). Won Gold at 2 World Championships for Canada..Won the World Cup with Brodeur.(playing only the semi final)

The Olympic Gold ..and you know what if Vigneault won the Jack Adams his first year..he can thank Luongo.Not so bad for a curriculum vitae...don t forget he played for a Florida team where 2 years in a row he beat his own record for shots received in a year.

The Canucks will remember him as one of the great ones..

How about the fact that he didn't give the team a chance to win in Boston? Especially in game 6 when the team came out strong...he allows 3 weak goals in a span of just over 3 minutes. How about when he nearly blew the 3-0 series lead against Chicago? I've lost count of the number of times he's been lit up in the playoffs. If he allows 1-2 bad goals the floodgates open.

He's either very good or very bad. You don't know which one you'll get each night. He's great as a regular season goalie, but unreliable for the playoffs

Or the deciding game against Anaheim where he let the OT goal in when he was distracted by Edler.

Thanks for this artical. I've always been a Roberto Luongo fan and he's my favourite Canuck. It would be sad to see him go if he did. It's typical of fickle Canuck fans to always blame Luongo or any other starting goalie that plays for the Canucks when things go wrong.

Most Canuck fans are so fickle that Spike rated Canuck fans as the 5th most annoying fans in their poll. I'm surprised at that. Canuck fans should be No 1 in this poll.

Great article! People in Vancouver don't know what they have until it's gone.

My 'favourite' myth from Lu bashers is 'he gives up too many soft goals'. Do they ever watch other games besides the Canucks', or even just the highlights? Soft goals happen in almost every game to even the elite goalies. It just seems like Lu lets in a lot because we see him more often. Ditto the comment that he is always 'flopping around'.

Just look at the highlights of the first game between Nashville and Phoenix with Rinne and Smith in net (both great goalies). You'll see some flopping around and classify most of those goals as 'soft'. Keep watching the playoffs with all the hot goalies playing and you'll see that soft goals are common. How about giving some credit to the world class players shooting at them?

If Lu is worse than other goalies in this respect (soft goals, flopping) he doesn't achieve what he has in his career.

This was a good read, and full of FACTS!

It's funny how people complain about stuff without knowing facts, another good myth is that Luongo is always out of position, yet last year everyone thought Tim Thomas was a god.....that man is out of position more than any other netminder in the league and is constantly scrambling to make saves.

People are just clueless and IMO TOMaplelaughs hit the nail on the head when he said "When more players develop a book on Schneider, we may see him come back to earth as well."

Great article! Thanks for posting, OP.

And people still bash the guy. :rolleyes:

Did you not read or just assume then post?

It mentioned those TWO games. As far as I'm concerned this is a team effort. He had no help in Game 5 until Lappy scored his fluke goal. Canucks were lucky to see Game 7 with the offense cold and defense weak.

We could easily blame leadership... Why didn't anyone step up?

Could easily point our fingers to the 12M Twins who also didn't show up but everyone only talks about Luongo... Twins must be happy Luongo carried them for so long and now they get the credit while he is 2 steps from the airport.

It's old playing the blame game. Get over it lol

The 2007 Luongo: He was spectacular. One of the best ever. Got robbed of a Vezina. Etc.

He also had a team in front of him that play the same way the Coyotes, Kings, Preds and Rangers play today.

All those teams have oustanding goalies as well.

So you have to wonder if Luongo's numbers would improve if he played behind that system again. And the answer is yes, sort of.

While it should be noted that his best season as a Canuck came when they played ultra-boring hockey, it should also be noted that his best season ever came when he was a Panther, who frequently allowed 50+ shots a game.

He was amazing as a Panther and as a Canuck, UNTIL HE RIPPED UP HIS GROIN. Ever since that fateful morning in Pittsburgh he hasn't been the same, folks. His reaction time is slower. His side-to-side is slower. His five hole is open longer. He flops a lot. All of these things point to a lingering groin problem. And a lot of declining goaltenders have one.

Luongo is an elite goaltender? Well, define elite? He isn't even the best one on his team anymore, so how can he be labelled 'elite' among his league-wide peers?

I've been a Luongo supporter ever since he got here, but i cannot deny that his game has regressed. Partially due to a system change. But mainly due to that ripped groin.

But should we trade him? I dunno. First of all Gillis said he'd never approach a player about waiving his ntc. So it'll be up to Lu. Fine.

My worry is that Lu is still capable of at least one top-notch season and playoff run. If we trade him and he wins a cup immediately after, we'll continue looking like fools. It's a risk to consider.

But you have to think that Aquilini is torn here. Luongo is his boy. Or rather, was his boy. Interested to know what the opinion is now. But he, like the rest of us, has got to be shaking his head at the inconsistency not becoming of a so-called franchise goaltender. Cheers.

TOML

"When more players develop a book on Schneider, we may see him come back to earth as well."

It's gonna suck whomever goes but that's the hockey business.

The trading of luongo/naming Schneider our new starting goalie, is all about the fact that Luongo has not been clutch enough and consistent during the playoffs for the Canucks (not talking about Team Canada), because of several bad games involving 4+ goals let in.

I wouldn't say he's a playoff choker, I wouldn't say he's not an elite goaltender, I would just say that Schneider is the better goalie now and at a lower cap hit - which is an important aspect in the salary cap world. At this point, the team needs a goaltender that is more consistent, with less 4+ or more goals allowed in important games. Not to mention that allowing bad goals, even in a 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 3-2 game loss which doesn't hurt his GAA, shows that stats do not show the issues the team has with the perceived luongo's inconsistent goaltending.

Look at MAF, he has won a cup, but if continues his play as he did during the first round of Philly vs Pitts, he too will be considered inconsistent, and not clutch enough. It has nothing to do with stats, or past historical achievements, and more to do with what will give the team the best chance, and will NOT deflate the team because of bad, uselessly allowed goals that are let in by your goaltender.

Luongo is an elite goaltender - but we're here to put out a team with the best chance to win, not hold on to players because of their accolades. He must be traded, Schneider will start - if he cannot cut it, he will be traded and a 3rd goalie will be obtained to start for the Vancouver Canucks. It's that simple.