The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Debunking The Roberto Luongo Myths

JustNazzy

I'm sure I did but honestly I don't remember a series from 4 years ago. And I highly doubt you remember each and every game enough to evaluate from your memory alone that series either. If you can, kudos, but you probably should be putting that memory to something more important.

For us with a normal memory, let's have a look at the games:

Game 1

Luo had a .903 SV%, faced 31 shots and allowed 3 goals.

Khabibulin had a .846 SV%, faced 26 shots and allowed 4 goals.

Better Goalie: Luo

Game 2

Luo had a .839 SV%, faced 31 shots and allowed 5 goals.

Khabibulin had a .857 SV%, faced 21 shots and allowed 3 goals.

Better Goalie: Khabibulin

Game 3

Luo had a .958 SV%, faced 24 shots and allowed 1 goal.

Khabibulin had a .857 SV%, faced 21 shots and allowed 3 goals.

Better Goalie: Luo

Game 4

Luo had a .929 SV%, faced 28 shots and allowed 2 goals.

Khabibulin had a .933 SV%, faced 15 shots and allowed 1 goal.

Better Goalie: Luo, by virtue of facing almost twice as many shots while allowing only 1 more goal (in OT, where Luo faced 4 shots while Khabibulin faced only 1.)

Game 5

Luo had a .897 SV%, faced 29 shots and allowed 3 goals.

Khabibulin had a .905 SV%, faced 21 shots and allowed 2 goals.

Better Goalie: I'd say they were relatively evenly matched, but by virtue of SV%, though he faced 8 fewer shots, I'd give the tie breaker to Khabibulin.

Game 6

Luo had a .767 SV%, faced 30 shots and allowed 7 goals.

Khabibulin had a .868 SV%, faced 38 shots and allowed 5 goals.

Better Goalie: Khabibulin

So, by my count they split the games 3 to 3. In 2 of the games where Khabibulin was the better goalie they were actually relatively close, whereas in 2 of the games where Luo was better it was by a lot. Add to that the fact that over the course of the series Luo faced 31 more shots, made 28 more saves and ended up with a higher SV% and it's pretty clear he was the better goalie. Not that either was great.

Just remember this stance the next time our team manages to beat a goalie that faces more shots, makes more saves and has a higher series SV% than Luo. If we win, it must be because Luo was the better goalie, no matter what the stats say. Because apparently the team has nothing to do with it. That's why it's called "goaltending" instead of "hockey."

Just remember this stance the next time our team manages to beat a goalie that faces more shots, makes more saves and has a higher series SV% than Luo. If we win, it must be because Luo was the better goalie, no matter what the stats say. Because apparently the team has nothing to do with it. That's why it's called "goaltending" instead of "hockey."

This is not a stance, watch the damn games next time and make an informed opinion instead of searching the internet and telling people what you think. A 30 shot difference and two more losses does not mean he outplayed the other goaltender. But in your world enjoy your beliefs :)

In a specific year? Cory was this year in the regular season, but Luo was in the playoffs.

Overall? Ask me when Cory's had at least a few years as a starter.

But what does that have to do with whether or not Luo was the better goalie in a single playoff series in 08/09 and therefore not to blame for us losing it?

Smurf why don't u answer that? You were the one raving about Cory all year and how u are god of goaltending knowledge and u said Cory is far better technicality wise than lui... and how lui isnt a good goalie etc etc...

Then came the playoffs and u have considerably shut your trap about how Cory is far superior than luongo when it comes to "technical " skills or w.e

And to answer your question... luongo. Easily.

He's proven for over a decade that he's the best and most consistent goalie the NHL has had over the past 10 years.

Cory on the oth er hand... hasn't played even half a full season and he's nearing his late twenties.

You'll never win an argument with either Poetica or Apollo...for different reasons, but results the same. I asked her who was better goalie Lou or Schneider. One would think for a person who quotes stats ad nauseum that it would be a simple deduction , considering their stats , as to , at this point in time, is better. She's a Lou fan and can't spit out the truth.

Right, I was honest about not remembering every detail of games from 4 years ago when I've seen hundreds of hockey games since then. I could have been like you and claimed to remember them but then only been able to actually mention two individual plays to support my opinion. But I prefer honesty.

Your problem is that you just don't have an answer for the stats. They may not be the entire story, but they are a widely accepted measure by which goalies are judged. It's really too bad the best you can do is, "You just don't know as much as me because I have some old games on VHS!"

Archived