The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Debunking The Roberto Luongo Myths

JustNazzy

I think Luongo needs to use his brain more before opening your mouth in front of microphones.

What kind of person requests a trade right after a disappointing exit from the playoffs? Definitely not one who feels any personal responsibility or believes that his team could do better. Because of the timing of it, all I see is a big baby who can't accept that he was outplayed.

I think it's very obvious that Luongo thinks he deserves better from fans/media here in VAN. He's right but I would much rather support players who appreciate playing here or at least be smart enough to pretend to instead of adopting the attitude that fans need to appreciate you while jumping ship when things don't go your way.

Luongo is a good goalie. But I don't believe he's mentally mature enough to last with any fan base for more than a few seasons.

Lu's sv% and GAA this season ranked 25th and 30th respectively, and that's when he's on the best team in the league. Interestingly enough, Luongo's .919 sv% this year (ranked 25th overall) is equal to the OP's quoted career sv%, which was his reason why Luongo is supposedly an elite goalie...you might say the game has changed since the days of Patrick Roy.

I've never seen such an insecure bunch of "fans" as the save luongo crowd..........almost no one who want CS as the starter is saying Luongo sucks. This argument about Luongo being traded begins and ends with one thing

Cory Schneider is a better goalie, now, than Luongo is. Nothing more, nothing less

I think Luongo needs to use his brain more before opening your mouth in front of microphones.

What kind of person requests a trade right after a disappointing exit from the playoffs? Definitely not one who feels any personal responsibility or believes that his team could do better. Because of the timing of it, all I see is a big baby who can't accept that he was outplayed.

I think it's very obvious that Luongo thinks he deserves better from fans/media here in VAN. He's right but I would much rather support players who appreciate playing here or at least be smart enough to pretend to instead of adopting the attitude that fans need to appreciate you while jumping ship when things don't go your way.

Luongo is a good goalie. But I don't believe he's mentally mature enough to last with any fan base for more than a few seasons.

My 'favourite' myth from Lu bashers is 'he gives up too many soft goals'. Do they ever watch other games besides the Canucks', or even just the highlights? Soft goals happen in almost every game to even the elite goalies. It just seems like Lu lets in a lot because we see him more often. Ditto the comment that he is always 'flopping around'.

Just look at the highlights of the first game between Nashville and Phoenix with Rinne and Smith in net (both great goalies). You'll see some flopping around and classify most of those goals as 'soft'. Keep watching the playoffs with all the hot goalies playing and you'll see that soft goals are common. How about giving some credit to the world class players shooting at them?

If Lu is worse than other goalies in this respect (soft goals, flopping) he doesn't achieve what he has in his career.

Fudge the haters here.

He's one of the best, best canucks ever had. How has no one said anything about Schneds - Lack tandem? Sounds pretty scary to be relying on these guys.

And what about Kesler, who didn't show up for a whole season? Who didn't score a single goal in round one. Luongo's not to blame, I for one will miss everything he brought here, if he does leave.

Luongo was lights out in the 2006/2007 playoffs.I don't think anyone was criticizing his play that year.

Luongo's playoff inconsistencies started after his groin injury in the 2008/2009 season. His save% in the playoffs since that season is a very pedestrian (by today's standards) .908.

Debunk that!

Other goalie's would choke?

How do you know that.

I just think a goalie is all about mental toughness not emotional competitiveness.

Luongo beats himself up and it has shown his entire playoff career.

I didn't even want to cheer for the Canucks after game 4.

All you Lu haters make me ???? sick.

If you think Schneiders better can't you just say that instead of bashing Lu as well. Luongo is one the best goalies in the league....... I know the same people hating on Lu now will be the same people hating on Schneider as soon as he has a few bad games, everyone just STFU about our goalies, it isn't the problem.

All you Lu haters make me ???? sick.

If you think Schneiders better can't you just say that instead of bashing Lu as well. Luongo is one the best goalies in the league....... I know the same people hating on Lu now will be the same people hating on Schneider as soon as he has a few bad games, everyone just STFU about our goalies, it isn't the problem.

Archived