The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Strength Of Mike Gillis' Position

danaimo

What's not taken into account is that TO might simply just work with what they have.

Remember, Burkie had us keeping Cloutier for eons after the point it had become obvious that he wasn't ever going to be good.

If they believe that they can work with what they have, then all they would need is a stop-gap at best.

Imo people are believing that TO is heading the Luongo hunt because the media there would have us believe that they are heading the hunt on every potential trade and free agent acquisition possible.

But i guess crazier things have happened. It's TOTALLY TO to expensively acquire a declining asset for no real reason. Cheers.

TOML

I can't imagine anyone would take on Luongo's contract. If a 12 year contract is insane, a 10 contract is nearly as bad. A gm would have to be nuts to take that on.

- what would you get for Luongo? Nothing; and you'd likely have to take back some player you don't want, who has a huge contract of his own.

A week has passed since Roberto Luongo said that he might waive his NTC and speculation has been rampant. Assessment of what the Canucks might get in return varies from a huge overrated, overpaid bit part coming back as a salary dump, to outrageously optimistic package of elite stars. So what is the strength of MG in this market?

This summer there are possible as many as 10 NHL teams that are looking to obtain a quality #1 starting goalie. On the supply side of the ledger there might only be 4 goalies available. In order of desirability it would be Schneider, Luongo, Thomas and maybe Bernier. Thomas has been an elite goalie for the last few years but his age, attitude and antics will seriously reduce his value. Bernier is an outside choice supply because LA have not showcased him. They chose to ride Quick all season and so Quick is arguably worth less today than he was 2 years ago.

People have suggested that Luongo's trade value is low, but given the demand for goalies and the fact that Vancouver CAN trade Schneider, Luongo's trade value is larger than many people think.

Consider the situation where the only team interested in Louie is Toronto. Burke offers Komisarek for Louie. That's it. Nothing more. This might be a worse case scenario for the Canucks. Mike Gillis just has to call up CBJ, NYI, TBL and offer up Schneider. if Schneider goes off the market, so does Luongo. Now Toronto still don't have a goalie, Burke now really feels the heat and is forced into making a really bad trade for either Thomas or Bernier. Effectively the market will go from 10 teams chasing 4 goalies to 9 teams chasing 2 goalies. The first team that moves for one of Vancouver's goalies will surely win out. The other 9 teams will be left to grasp at smoke.

This puts MG in an awesome position. Luongo's value is enormous in light of these simple market fundamentals. Give us something really valuable for Louie or we trade Schneider to someone else and you fight for the crumbs on the table.

Vancouver have complete control over the trade market for goalies and although the market for Louie might be small, the fact that they can trade Schneids makes Louie's value artificially high. I'm sure the logic of this is not lost on MG or the other 29 GMs.

I can't imagine anyone would take on Luongo's contract. If a 12 year contract is insane, a 10 contract is nearly as bad. A gm would have to be nuts to take that on.

- what would you get for Luongo? Nothing; and you'd likely have to take back some player you don't want, who has a huge contract of his own.

i'm sure there are FARRRRRR more than 4 goalies available that can be a starter in this league. let see, Schneider, Luongo, Thomas, Bernier, probably Vokoun, Harding, one of either Halak or Elliot, maybe Kipper, Lindback, Neurvith etc etc.. there's 10 already and there's probably a few more that's escaping my head. Sure some of them isn't a BIG name like a Luongo, Schneider or a Thomas, but the blackhawk proved that you don't need a superstar elite goaltender to win, and those goalies can probably be had for a MUCH MUCH lower price.. so stop over valuing what our players can get in return.

i'm sure there are FARRRRRR more than 4 goalies available that can be a starter in this league. let see, Schneider, Luongo, Thomas, Bernier, probably Vokoun, Harding, one of either Halak or Elliot, maybe Kipper, Lindback, Neurvith etc etc.. there's 10 already and there's probably a few more that's escaping my head. Sure some of them isn't a BIG name like a Luongo, Schneider or a Thomas, but the blackhawk proved that you don't need a superstar elite goaltender to win, and those goalies can probably be had for a MUCH MUCH lower price.. so stop over valuing what our players can get in return.

A Canucks hater, mainly a lot of leafs fans are saying, "Gillis's options are very limited. There are many goalies out there and he will be screwed and get a back of pucks in return." This is what most of them are saying at HFboards.

I agree with you op, Gillis has more options available. There are always goalies available, but not very often, an all star goalie of Roberto Luongo's calibre is available. Luongo cannot be classified as a "goalie" maybe, but no. Thomas is 38, he's probably available, but he's 38.

I think there is a bigger risk in going after guys like Kipper and Thomas (if they're available).

Thomas's contract expires in 1 yr, Kippers in 2 yrs. Then they both become UFAs. You could give up an asset and he might not re-sign with you - at which point you're back to square 1 and in need of a goaltender.

What's the bigger risk? Not knowing if you'll have a goaltender after 1 or 2 yrs, or knowing you'll have a goaltender for 10+ yrs.

The only reason we are in this position is simple: we lucked out with 2 elite goalies. We either get what we need for Lu or we wait. No one else has an elite Lu to offer. He will be the goalie everyone who is shopping for goal wants. MG is going to have a great summer.

Archived