The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Consumer Experiences: Telus Vs Shaw

Stefan

Maybe this doesn't warrant it's own thread, so hopefully it will be used as a tool for anyone looking to switch providers / moving outta their parents house looking for advice / whatever else.

Truthfully I made the thread to vent about how freaking annoyed I am with Telus. I'm not one to blog, and whine, but hooooly hell. If my PVR box had a face, I'd punch it square in the ???? nose.

Anyways, to make this a hybrid whine / helpful thread for open discussion and opinion:

As a customer of shaw for 5 years, and a customer of Telus for 1 year I've got a pretty good opinion on both.

Shaw:

The bads, and the reason why I switched.

Shaw's expensive. Real expensive. They also have ridiculous customisation features, like you need SD to get HD (why the hell would you be like, hey, honey, wanna watch this on SD tonight? I'm kind of sick of high definition).

The call times are atrocious. They do have the call back feature which is nice, but when my internet's decided to take a dump all over my life because I've got a college paper due, and the wait time is an hour, the call back feature isn't much of a saving grace.

The goods, and the reason why I wish I never switched. Shaw's reliability, and quality is unsurpassable. The PVR is quick to respond, the internet rarely, if ever in my tenure ever went out. The TV feed never cut out, even for a second. I never had any glitches with the modem, or PVR, or any real major issues (maybe once in a while, nothing that was annoying).

Basically, you pay for what you get.

Telus:

The bads, and why I want to punch my PVR in the nose. The PVR is glitchy, slow, sometimes entirely unresponsive, and cuts out at least once a week for a minute or more at a time. The internet cuts out randomly. I've already had to replace my modem once, and my PVR once. The customer service is insane. It's like they hired high school drop outs.

When I initially ordered Telus, I clicked on the box to say "yes I want a free Xbox, why the hell wouldn't I want a free xbox".

A guy from India called to confirm my purchase, and I reminded him that I wanted the free Xbox promotion, because you'd be mental not to take something valued at $200 for free. He confirmed.

The installation guy came, with no Xbox, and I said, where's my Xbox, and he said I never requested one. Assuming this was just a mistake, I re-re-requested an xbox. He said ok. No Xbox came for a month, I called Telus, re-re-re-requested an Xbox, they confirmed. No Xbox came for a month and a half. I re-re-re-re-requested an xbox, and finally after my third month of being with Telus, I got my free xbox, spending probably about 2 hours on the phone.

I was irritated, but finally somewhat satisfied. I then found out they had a Kinect promotion that I signed up a week too early for to be eligible. I felt like I was being involuntarily trolled. I called in, and requested one, and felt I was entitled to it because of how much hassle I went through to get my Xbox.

Long story short, I talked to about 12 people, re-re-re-re-etc calling in, never having any of my conversations on history until I requested it was escalated to someone with a brain. About 4 months later i got my Kinect.

Also, there's like a 7 second delay on the feed. So if you have people living under you with Shaw, and the Canucks score, you'll know it before you see it. Good one Telus. Good one.

The goods: It's cheaper than Shaw.

Anyways. if you're a fan boy of either company, that's cool, just don't get all butt hurt about what I'm saying.. I'm merely offering an opinion. I don't really owe either company anything, and I honestly kinda hate both. Now that I know Shaw sucks less, I wish I wasn't in this ridiculous contract, and when it's up, I'll be switching over to Shaw, or, hopefully some other company.

And if you're thinking "why complain about something free".

I signed up for a 3 year contract for it. I'm entitled to it. So while it's a "free promotion", it wasn't entirely free. I'm locked up with this reject company.

Shaw is not all that reliable from my experience. In fact the internet cut out for 3-4 hours just two days ago. They also have very unreliable speeds.

I pay for ~100mbps so my speed should be somewhere around:

1885378152.png

Instead I get this:

1922730457.png

The PVR is probably the only redeeming service they have. I've complained a lot about the inconsistent internet but it never changes. I've given up on it now.

Shaw is not all that reliable from my experience. In fact the internet cut out for 3-4 hours just two days ago. They also have very unreliable speeds.

1885378152.png

Instead I get this:

1922730457.png

The PVR is probably the only redeeming service they have. I've complained a lot about the inconsistent internet but it never changes. I've given up on it now.

Yah I also hate both. I used to really like Shaw but their service has gone down hill rapidly the past few years. I have been thinking of switching to Telus but I know they arn't any better. It's just a lose lose situation....and then throw in BC Hydro, ICBC and BC Ferries...we are just constantly getting screwed over. :sick:

I prefer Telus - had bad experiences with Rogers (when I lived in the Vancouver area) and Shaw (in the Calgary area).

I need a consistent and reliable internet connection (work and play) and the cable companies just can't provide it.

I'm currently with SHAW and have been looking to switch to Telus to reduce my monthly internet/tv/phone bill. But I want Optik TV not Satellite TV. Unfortunately Optik TV is not available in my area.

A funny and frustrating story...

About a month ago, I received a call from Telus, around 7pm on a Wednesday night. The usual spiel about a promotion, etc. So I'm in a good mood and play along and ask if they have Optik TV in my area yet. The guy does the check and says Optik TV is not available but they have a good promotion for Satellite TV. I cut him off mid-sentence and say I'm only interested in Optik TV and for him to call back when it's available in my area. Thanked him politely and ended the call.

Next night around 7pm I get a call from Telus again. It's the same guy (I recognized his voice). The same speech about a promotion. But I cut him off asking..."You guys called me yesterday. I seriously doubt Telus got Optik TV up and running in my area in just a day." He does his check and agrees Optik TV is not available in my area but Satellite TV is. I told him that I'm not interested in Satellite TV. And for him to call me when Optik TV is and promptly hanged up the phone.

So what happend Friday night? Yep...again. And the same guy too. So I cut him off without giving him a chance to follow his pre-scripted promotion message. Told him to stop calling and hanged up the phone.

Ahh...weekend is here. Bliss.

Then Monday night...same bat time, same bat channel, same Telus guy. I was LIVID. I complained to him asking him why is he calling 4 straight week nights (Wed / Thu / Fri / Mon) promoting services that I do not want and when they don't have Optik TV available to me?!? I asked to speak to his manager. He went on about the services. I asked to speak to his manager. He went on about the promotion. I then told him I would be filing a complaint with the BBB and that his nightly calls to my house constitutes as harrassment. And again...I want to speak to his manager. At this point...the guy apologizes, says he'll put me on a Do Not Call List and hangs up. So I didn't even get a chance to vent at his manager.

Telus Customer Service at it's finest. What a joke!!!!!

I have had both and am currently with Telus.

I find Telus is much better giving promotions to current subscribers then Shaw. Shaw was horrible to deal with when it came to pricing. The equipment from Shaw was over priced if you wanted buy, not sure how it is now.

I have the 100/5 as well, very inconsistent speeds. Lots of crashes, modem reboots; but when it is working its Lightning fast.

7.5gb movie dl in 15 minutes fast.

We used to have Shaws TV service as well, but we found it was crap, the PVR worked only half the time. Too expensive as well

1885378152.png

Instead I get this:

1922730457.png

We switched from Shaw to Telus a couple weeks ago. PVR takes forever to respond, sound always cuts out A LOT when we watch recorded shows. To the extent that my sister has resorted to watching with closed captioning. Only reason why it's cheaper for us right now is because we don't have half of the channels we had when we had Shaw (we had most of the HD channels plus movie channels.)

I've had both. Currently with Shaw.

INTERNET

Shaw: Always have to reset my brand new router. Like once a week. Call for support and they tell me to reset my router.

Telus: I found Telus to be faster but I never actually tested it.

HOME PHONE

Shaw/Telus: I dunno, I never use it.

TV

Shaw: Noticeably lower quality than Telus Satellite TV. Especially when watching SD on an HDTV. I like that I don't need a box in every room, because I can just plug the cable wire into the back of the TVs. Great for SDTVs in the bedrooms, etc.

Telus: I live in an area where Optik TV isn't an option, so I had Telus Satellite TV. AWESOME picture quality. Great PVR. Never had an outage. Expensive $10/month for non-PVR HD Box. We've got 5 TVs in the house so it added up quickly.

I prefer Shaw over Telus. Better price (Where I live) and no need to buy a box for every single TV

Archived