97 replies to this topic

#31 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

The people in Afghanistan who actually committed the murders are solely responsible for their own actions. The pastor shouldn't have his right to free speech infringed upon because people overreacted to him being a dick.

That is a good excuse the first time around.
Posted Image

#32 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

The are exceptions to the first amendment. This one teeters particularly close to the one about inciting imminent lawless action, regardless of the location.
Posted Image

#33 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

That is a good excuse the first time around.

It's a good excuse to not "make him pay" any time around. I don't want to go down the slippery slope that results in the banning of any speech that triggers a disproportionate threat.

Edited by VICanucksfan5551, 30 April 2012 - 12:26 AM.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#34 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

Yeah, you're a really smart one aren't you.
:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpcbfxtdoI8
skip to 5:30

Says the smart guy who needs sarcasm lessons. Some people are so thick.

Maybe you'll figure it out, God Willing. :)

Edited by zaibatsu, 30 April 2012 - 01:11 AM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#35 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

This guy has every right to do this.

However, he's a raving lunatic who can't separate the Taliban and Al-Qaeda from regular Muslims. And for that, someone should smack him over the head a few times.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#36 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

Says the smart guy who needs sarcasm lessons. Some people are so thick.

Maybe you'll figure it out, God Willing. :)

Right right.
Posted Image

#37 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

As long as the Korans aren't stolen property, WHO CARES!?!

Probably about 1 billion Muslims...?

Don't live with your head in the clouds and talk about ideals and principles. This is a real issue. Muslims have enough reasons to be pissed with the States. If this incites more suicide bombers and ends up killing more US and Canadian soldiers, you don't think it's a problem?

#38 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

i find

They should take note of the point I raised in Post #8 and count their blessings.

I'll agree it is practically unwise, but have yet to find reason to condemn it.

so you find no reason to condemn an action that is solely designed to provoke violence and hatred , right on . where is your empathy for the people who believe this book is a holy and sacred thing . i am the first to defend a persons right to free speech but this is not free speech , he is not speaking he is acting with malice , and the circle of hatred continues .
"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#39 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,700 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

Sigh...this guy is so wrong...

"Jones believes Islam promotes violence" - wrong....like any religion, Islam does NOT promote violence, but some people twist it for their own purpose...

"The head of the church Pastor Jones described Islam as "a false religion" that will lead people to hell..."

I see Pastor Jones as a "false prophet"...The Dove World Outreach Center should fire this guy (no pun intended).

Mathew 7:16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#40 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,506 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

i find

so you find no reason to condemn an action that is solely designed to provoke violence and hatred , right on . where is your empathy for the people who believe this book is a holy and sacred thing . i am the first to defend a persons right to free speech but this is not free speech , he is not speaking he is acting with malice , and the circle of hatred continues .

The people who actually commit the violence are solely responsible for his actions. He is not their babysitter. Nor is he the babysitter of nor affiliated with those US and Coalition forces who act on the orders to invade and occupy said Islamic countries. If he chooses not to cooperate with the occupation, that is his right.

As for empathy with the people who find it sacred, American flags, effigies of politicians and other public figures, and even Bibles are all fair game to trashing or setting ablaze. Why should all things Islam be the sole exception?

Edited by Buggernut, 30 April 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#41 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Of course, the best way to get through to Muslims is to burn their holy book.

#42 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

Right right.

Better luck next time.
How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#43 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,506 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Probably about 1 billion Muslims...?

Don't live with your head in the clouds and talk about ideals and principles. This is a real issue. Muslims have enough reasons to be pissed with the States. If this incites more suicide bombers and ends up killing more US and Canadian soldiers, you don't think it's a problem?

Maybe we should turn our attention to those issues, and away from any internal matter that is taking place entirely within the confines of the USA.

Withdraw our troops!

#44 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Why doesn't this guy go over to Saudi Arabia and try burning one? Not ballsy enough to do that is he? Real easy when your actions only affect others and not yourself.

#45 AbbyNucksFan

AbbyNucksFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

what would happen if Muslims burned a copy (or a thousand copies) of the bible?

nothing.
Posted Image

Credit to LostViking for the sig! Thanks!

#46 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Maybe we should turn our attention to those issues, and away from any internal matter that is taking place entirely within the confines of the USA.

Withdraw our troops!

Yes, but in this case these "internal matters" have the potential to further deteriorate relationships between US troops and Muslims in countries such as Afghanistan. Therefore having a negative affect on the troops you're so obviously concerned about.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,506 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Yes, but in this case these "internal matters" have the potential to further deteriorate relationships between US troops and Muslims in countries such as Afghanistan. Therefore having a negative affect on the troops you're so obviously concerned about.

But stopping him is a violation of the fundamental freedom of speech principles that I value more. He's the least guilty of the parties between him, the Coalition invaders and the Islamic fanatic terrorists.

#48 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,506 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

Why doesn't this guy go over to Saudi Arabia and try burning one? Not ballsy enough to do that is he? Real easy when your actions only affect others and not yourself.

I'd say a guy like that who hates Islam and Muslims so much has no right going to their part of the world in the first place.

Same applies in reverse to those Muslims disgusted and infuriated by his actions and the free country that allows it.

#49 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'd say a guy like that who hates Islam and Muslims so much has no right going to their part of the world in the first place.

Same applies in reverse to those Muslims disgusted and infuriated by his actions and the free country that allows it.

Yes in an ideal world this is true. When one like that exists let me know.

#50 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,113 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

The man is a moron. A complete moron.

Kind of looks like Paul Sr. with AIDS....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#51 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Kind of looks like Paul Sr. with AIDS....

lmfao

Seriously, it's often while sitting here all by myself that I burst out laughing. You're getting the coveted "+1" from me.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 30 April 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#52 CIA

CIA

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

While I don't support his actions, he has every right to do what he wants. Burning a book is (and should not be) a crime and there's no need to overreact. And people saying others will have to pay for his actions...uhhh that's the problem with the world. WHY should we be afraid to burn a book?! That needs to change.

I was discussing this was a friend and his opinion was that they should burn a Koran for every murder caused by a suicide bomb. A sign of...idk...resistance? Maybe to show that we are not afraid?
Posted Image

#53 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

While I don't support his actions, he has every right to do what he wants. Burning a book is (and should not be) a crime and there's no need to overreact. And people saying others will have to pay for his actions...uhhh that's the problem with the world. WHY should we be afraid to burn a book?! That needs to change.

I was discussing this was a friend and his opinion was that they should burn a Koran for every murder caused by a suicide bomb. A sign of...idk...resistance? Maybe to show that we are not afraid?

Then why don't I have the right to yell "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater?

Just because you can do something does not make it a good idea. Holy books of any type mean zip to me. However, they mean a heck of a lot to a lot of other people. So why would I intentionally disrespect and anger them? Comes down to this, there are all types of people in the world with all types of different views. We all only have one planet to share. So why piss people off for no reason?

#54 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,700 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

That's part of the problem.
The Koran doesn't tell anyone to be a suicide bomber.

So basically, your friend (as well as others) are blaming this book.
That's like...idk...burning a Hunger Games book every time a kid is bullied.
In other words, just because the kids like those books doesn't mean the books are what causes kids to bully.

As far as "why should we be afraid"?
If you personally, were to burn the Koran, or a Bible - no one would really care...that's your choice.
As far as this pastor goes, he's supposed to lead by example, he's supposed to be following Jesus - showing his love for everyone regardless of their beliefs. In other words, he's no different than those who use a holy book and twist it's meaning to tell people to be a suicide bomber.

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#55 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Sorry, but you either believe in freedom of speech, or you don't

Though I don't, so I would stop him personally for making the country look like a bunch of toothless hicks.

Edited by TimberWolf, 30 April 2012 - 01:29 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

“That guys an idiot. It’s his own fault if he can’t tell the difference between an all star center and a plug defenceman”

"It's not the location. We just can't beat the Canucks. Thank god they're in the West."

#56 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,506 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Yes in an ideal world this is true. When one like that exists let me know.

Do we strive to make the world ideal, or do we cave in to all the bullies and terrorists?

#57 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,700 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Do we strive to make the world ideal, or do we cave in to all the bullies and terrorists?

Is bullying an acceptable way to stop bullying?

Posted Image

#58 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,506 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Is bullying an acceptable way to stop bullying?

I call it asserting your right to burn a bundle of paper.

Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

#59 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

I have no problem with this guy burning paper.

#60 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

what would happen if Muslims burned a copy (or a thousand copies) of the bible?

nothing.

Don't think Muslims are allowed to burn holy books - esp the Bible and Torah. Even when they want to 'throw away' old Qurans or holy books, they don't burn them, they're thrown into the sea/river/ocean, any place where there is water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.