The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Metaphorical Balls

funkyfresh

But that's exactly why it can be hard to truly evaluate a GM's performance. For the most part, we only know the moves he actually made. Sundin's case is a little different because we know what he was offered. What we don't know are all the moves he has tried to make but wasn't successful.

Let's say MG made a pitch for Parise, but the Canucks just didn't have what the Devils were looking for, or someone else had more to give. Does that mean MG is a poor GM because the Devils didn't want what he had to offer?

Or... how about MG's attempt to get David Backes? Just because he didn't get Backes in the line-up does that mean we shouldn't count the attempt against his performance as GM?

Personally, I think he has done a fairly decent job as GM. I just also think he got lucky Sundin didn't take his initial offer. This could be a very different looking roster if he had.

See the problem with this is that almost all the other gms could have possibly tried to get Parise as well, so we can only judge him on what he has actually done and not what he could have done. And I agree that he has been a good GM but sometimes you need to take a chance to be better not just stay at the same level.

Archived