The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Get Younger Defence Core

Firstly, this is more for conversation than hoping to come to fruition but here it goes.

Bieksa + Hamhuis -- remain, good shutdown pairing reasonable price, and NTC so we're stuck with them.

Ballard - Tanev -- they are getting better and better as time goes by, easily the best duo in the playoffs.

Edler had a good season, but bad playoffs, I like the guy and all but he's got one year left in his contract so if its time to trade him it's now.

Vancouver:

Edler + 1rst

for

Toronto:

Gardiner + 5th overall

(I think BB would be nuts not to do that trade)

Vancouver:

Schneider

for

Columbus:

Johansson + 2nd overall

(maybe another piece along side schneider)

Draft:

Ryan Murray (2nd overall)

Matt Dumba (5th overall)

Sign:

Justin Schultz UFA ( Gardiner's buddy)

Young defensive top prospects in system:

Murray, Dumba, Gardiner, Schultz, Tanev, Connauton.

** Lineup's ** around 8m of cap room free

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - ?

Higgins - Johansen - Hansen

? - Lapierre - Kassian

Volpatti - Pinizzotto

Holes filled in via, UFA RW playmaker, or Jensen / Schroeder / Rodin.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

? - ?

Gardiner - Schultz

Murray and Dumba in the Juniors to develop, Connauton / Sauve callups, and potential UFA's to fill in bottom role if Gardiner + Schultz can't make it.

Like I said just for fun because it's unlikely / impossible to happen.

Who wouldn't?

You could put that off for years, if you did it right.

Gardiner has 2yrs @1.2 left and Shultz would probably get 2 yrs @3.1 (similar to Pietrangelo hit). Murray & Dumba go develop in Jrs for 2 yrs.

Then Gardiner and Shultz get 5yrs 4m per (similar to M. Staal). Murray and Dumba join team with entry lvl contracts 3 yrs @ 2Mish. at this point you have 21.1M locked up in 6 defensemen. (Hamhuis and Bieksa have 2 more years @ combined 9.1)

3 years down road Murray an Dumba get the 5 years @ 4M per. Hammer and Beiksa are either gone or have cheaper deals. So thats 16M in 4 d men.

2 more years Gardiner and Shultz get 6.5 M for 6 years. So you have 21M in your top 4.

So it could work.

**Disclaimer:

I didn't take into account rising/falling cap and rising costs for players. I assumed everyone develops properly and takes somewhat of an hometown discount in contract negotiations.

If you're going to trade Edler, you get something back! Gardiner??

Alex Edler, David Booth, Mason Raymond - Nashville

Shea Weber, Brian McGrattan - Vancouver

You want a good young defense? Anchor it with the best defenseman in the league. Have him play with Hamhuis, as they already know each other from Nashville. All BC top d-pairing.

Bieksa and Ballard will be paired on the second. Combining Ballards speed and tenacity with Bieksa's shot and tenacity would be ideal. Both of them throw the gloves.......and win.

If Salo comes back (please!) pair him with Tanev, and cycle Gragnani in and out to keep him fresh.

Sign Justin Schultz if possible.

There you go. All that's needed is replacing Edler with Weber. That is a no-brainer.

If you're going to trade Edler, you get something back! Gardiner??

Alex Edler, David Booth, Mason Raymond - Nashville

Shea Weber, Brian McGrattan - Vancouver

You want a good young defense? Anchor it with the best defenseman in the league. Have him play with Hamhuis, as they already know each other from Nashville. All BC top d-pairing.

Bieksa and Ballard will be paired on the second. Combining Ballards speed and tenacity with Bieksa's shot and tenacity would be ideal. Both of them throw the gloves.......and win.

If Salo comes back (please!) pair him with Tanev, and cycle Gragnani in and out to keep him fresh.

Sign Justin Schultz if possible.

There you go. All that's needed is replacing Edler with Weber. That is a no-brainer.

Typical bandwagoners and/or whiners.

While i'd like to be able to get Murray though some of these trading ideas, but i dont think these trades will help Vancouver, especially not immediately. It 'may' work years down the line, but i dont want to have another set of nightmare years like we did in the late 90s.

I highly doubt Nashville will trade for Edler, 1 year left till he's a UFA they can get far more from the 29 other teams that want him.

Gardiner and Schultz are friends, playing in world cups or juniors or something so their's familiarity there, if we get Gardiner I think it's a lock we get Schultz. Plus Gardiner is one hell of a defender.

I'm all for Weber but it'll be tough to pry him from nashville as he'll get one hell of a return. Also one year and UFA Weber will hopefully sign here.

I do like the idea of going more canadian / BC connection. I think Murray (saksatchewan native) is going to be a franchise defensman in the league and is well worth the trouble to get him.

Archived