The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Corey Perry ?

Earlier during the season, we heard a Corey Perry trade rumour to the Canucks, which then turned to Bobby Ryan and then nothing happened.

Well, the way i look at it, one of our challenges in the playoffs has been to score goals and that is because outside of the Sedin twins, we don't have any other elite scoring threat. Kesler was great last season but lets face it, he will never be a top end scoring threat who consistently makes the 25-35 goal margin and neither do i expect him to. Now, with Perry in the team, we would have one of the best lines in hockey, free Kesler up for the 2nd unit powerplay(badly needing a centerman).

Now, Anaheim has 23 million free for next season and they need a top-end goalie to remain competetive in the Pacific division, especially if Koivu and Selanne retire. As such, the Perry trade benefits both teams and i wonder if we could swing the Perry trade by packaging Luongo with a combination of players & picks. ( i wouldn't want to trade the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre, Higgins, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Tanev or Kassian though).

People, exactly what kind of return do you think Luongo is going to fetch? You all make it sound like Vancouver should only trade him for superstars and first round picks.

Remember, when Vancouver trades Luongo, it is going to be a salary dump first and foremost. They won't get even close to a similar player in return as far as talent goes, unless it's another player of equal outrageous salary (ie. Lecavalier).

Luongo is going to fetch great returns from the right team. Yes, he has his epic meltdowns. Yes, he has an elephantine contract that will see the team take a cap hit far beyond his probable value in the last few years of his career.

But lets not sell Lu short. He is one of the few established goalies in the league. There have bee plenty of goalies like Scheider who were lights out one or two seasons and then became ordinary ( Jose Theodore, Antii Niemi come to mind)- not that i think Schneider will go that way mind you. But Lou represents a rare commodity in this league: a super-consistent goalie who has a proven track record of excellence both in a market that nobody cares for (Florida) and a high pressure market (Canucks). Lou is the type of player that *may* cost you the cup with his meltdowns ( IMO his meltdown against Boston was equally instrumental in us losing as Hamhuis's loss). But he definitely is the kind of goalie that *WILL* take you to the playoffs and that is a huge commodity in the right market- markets like the Leafs, Anaheim, Dallas, etc. where they are under significant pressure to make the playoffs will pay through their nose for Lou.

Most managers are not too keen on Luongo. They must suspect he's going downhill now, plus his mega contract simply does not justify the huge risk involved in trading for him. MG was alleged to have boo-booed with CoHo and he may very well repeat by keeping Luongo and trading Schneider for Perry!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Perry and Getzlaf really love Selanne (having him around and just in general). Seeing as he might retire this year (or next), it could affect the two players and how they see the organization and where it's headed. I absolutely love Perry and would love him on this team.

What are the chances? :mellow:

I realize that trading Perry, with Koivu and Selanne potentially retiring doesn't look good. however, the template in the west for the last few seasons has been ' defence and solid goal-tending = playoff appearance'. Hiller has vertigo problems that he hasn't fully recovered from and i made sure i checked the anaheim board to see what their impression is of Hiller- they think he is talented but damaged goods and not sure if they want to give him a contract extension if he can't shake his vertigo.

As far as next year looks, Ananheim has one 'super-line' and then nothing. No defence, no solid goal-tending and IMO, they arn't going to be in the playoffs without good goalie and defence.

My thinking is, Ananheim is in an extremely competetive division and they are going to prioritize making the playoffs first and making a cup run when they do have the pieces to make the playoffs consistently.

As such, Luongo still has atleast 3-4 years of good hockey in him and IMO, he will be a good enough goalie to backstop a team into playoff position for most of his contract- he is a position goalie, not a reflex goalie and as such, he will be a God on the first shot for a longtime to come. Anaheim has money to burn and they are almost in a position to start over again. They also have high draft picks and it is a lot easier to replace Corey Perry than find a bonafide goalie in the next few years.

I think the deal makes sense for both parties, but wouldn't be surprised if Gillis thought trading with a western team is a bad idea or Luongo didn't appear too hot to go to Anaheim.

I think there can be a way around this. Say Anaheim trades Hiller to a team needing a goalie, say, Chicago for Stahlberg and Kruger. (I'm not really sure as to what Jonas's value is) They then trade Perry to us for Luongo, Schroeder, Connauton, Ballard and our 1st. Then if we can, we trade Booth, Malhotra, Sauve, Raymond's rights, and a 2013 2nd for Jordan Staal. And sign Parise and Jokinen.

Sedin - Sedin - Perry

Parise - Staal - Kesler

Burrows - Jokinen - Higgins

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Pipe dream, yes. But there is some value to it.

Archived