The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gary Roberts Calls Mike Gillis A 'moron' For Comments About Hodgson

yes we can nucks

Calm yourself there bud, just cause you want to blow Gillis, who to you can do no wrong, don't take you're sexual frustrations out on me.

Its a point of view, you may see it differently than I do as I am sure some FA will, but I am sure it will factor into some FA choices, unless you know exactly what every single FA that the Canucks would ever want to sign is thinking.

Marco Sturm is besides the issue of what he may or may not have done, as other FAs will be needing to buy houses and rent condos in Vancouver if they sign with the Canucks or maybe they will all be staying at your house.

Someone who signs with a team has a resonable expectation that they will be playing for the team they signed with. Otherwise why would he have signed in Vancouver and not just signed with Florida?

So get over yourself there, your opinion is not the supreme one that everyone has to have.

How does Marco Sturm factor into this?

Sturm signed a deal in July, and showed up in September not ready to play. He was painfully slow, unreliable, and on the verge of being sent to the Chicago Wolves. Gillis did him a favor finding him an NHL team that was still willing to play him.

Gillis didn't say that. Gillis said "players like that never get traded after they've been developed."

Trying to poach David Backes after he had already put up 23g 31a 54pts & 332 hits (including finishing #5 overall in hits in '07-'08) in 121gp isn't going to work. However, he probably could have gotten him for a poacher's price while he was still in College but while we're on the subject of Backes I guess it's pretty clear today that Gillis should've ponied up his "Porsche" (Hodgson) instead of whatever crap was actually offered.

And when posters realise GIllis promised an up tempo team and then traded his offense for futures?

Why did Gillis allow Kesler to play injured when he had a centre man that could have filled that role?

I am waiting for Rich Winter and Cody's father to come on the TEAM 1040 as per the extended invitation.

I don't understand what Gillis was getting at with those comments and I could honestly see Hodgson getting a PPG next year...

I could see Roberts as a coach at some point...

The downside to this is that we may never have another player accepted into the Gary Roberts MVP-Factory

<p>

Whoa there. I'll leave you to reading players minds as you have quite obviously done several times in your original post.

And while you're busy making personal insults on an online Canucks forum because you have no real substance to defend your ridiculous argument, I'll tell you this, MARCO STURM DID NOT HAVE A NTC. Does a player who signs with a team have a reasonable expectation to play for that team? Yeah sure he does. Now put yourself in Mike Gillis's position, You have two aging veterans with a history of injuries and you have an opportunity to go out and get a young skilled forward who might give your team a huge boost in the top 6.

Now tell me this, does Mike Gillis refrain from making this move because he had just signed one of the players to be traded? Hell no. Does Marco Sturm get immunity for some reason because he was just signed? Of course not. Why the hell would Marco Sturm (who was not having an impact on the team what so ever) feel he is immune to be traded ? He doesn't have a NTC.

So why on earth would other players feel threatened about coming to a team who is all about productivity? A team where both the management and coaching staff have stressed openly that whatever player is most productive will get playing time.

I'm sure FA's understand that this is a business like i stated before, and realize that if they do not have a NTC that they are subject to be traded. It's obvious. If they plan on living long term in Vancouver and buying a house then they better get their agent to give them a NTC, otherwise they could be traded. Do you get that? Players get traded all the time like it or not. It's the nature of the business and MG should not be frowned upon for trading a player in a move which he thinks makes the team better.

Save your childish insults.

And sorry for going off topic guys.

Yeah i'm sure you know all these prospects that the Canucks have drafted have cringed inside when being drafted by the Canucks.

I'm sure the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Tanev, Hansen, Schneider and more have all regretted being drafted by the Canucks. Look at how bad these players are? Such bad development eh? Boy they are REALLY mismanaging these guys. Just horrible.

When it looked like Cody Hodgson was going to be a star, his days as a Canuck were numbered.

Just look at the big market draft picks of 2008:

5. Schenn. Bust? Trade bait?

10. Hodgson. Close to busting. Traded.

11. Beach. Fairly close to being a bust.

16. Colbourne. Traded.

19. Sbisa. Traded.

30. McCollum. Not even close to the big league.

imo You're not allowed to be a successful team and get decent draft picks unless you're one of the inner circle who is due to win the cup. Philly. NYR. They have paid their dues. The Canucks are up there, but they're not even close. And now the prime years of the Sedins are wasted.

It would not surprise me to see the Habs and Laffs win the cup again before the Canucks win one. Possibly the Oilers as well. And don't forget about Buffalo. The Canucks apparently still need to pay their dues. I say let us sign more and more free agents to ridiculous contracts and merely bury them like NYR and Philly do all the time. (Hey, does Wade Redden get his name on the cup if NYR wins?) Cheers.

TOML

Yup, GIllis was doing PR for himself so that the public would blame CH for the questionable trade. He's a good GM but that was poorly played. Unless, of course, he is in danger of getting canned, then it was good for him but couldn't he have just explained that to the owners?

Childish comments aside, he is right about this though. It's not like EA NHL sports and signing someone then trading them right away reflects poorly on you around the league. (As it would with any job). You don't need a NTC to secure work in an organization for longer than 2 months. If you sign a player and move him at the trade deadline is one thing, but almost right away? This is where you see players taking the high road and not commenting to the media about it, but since they are afterthoughts in the minds of the fans they don't question the procedure.It's kind of funny really, you have a whole bunch of people talking about Cody's dad / agent as if they were actually in the room with them and Gillis, but something like this? Nope, completely overlooked. For all you know, Codys agent was just as pushy for icetime as Marco Sturms was. Then when they traded Sturm he threw a lamp across the room and shouted obscenities. Also note, of course Codys agent is going to be more vocal than the Sedins (Long termed), Kesler (Long termed), Burrows (First line), Edler (Contract coming up and he was having a career year), Schnieder (Going to make like, 4x the amount he was already making at the end of the season), Bieksa (long term), Booth (Long term), Lou (Long term, although now he has to go).The question should really be, did Gillis really need to talk to anyone as much as Cody? And if so, why is he so salty about it? It's not like he would have any reason that the Sedins would contact him (I'm sure he would contact them when Daniel was hurt, but there is zero reason why they would talk to him during a season if both are healthy). Inexperienced GM is inexperienced.

I'm sick of the myth of Gary Roberts........of course he churns out young superstars..........he only takes on the cream of the crop in his program. It's pretty easy to produc a Stamkos when you get a Stamkos to begin with. I'll be impressed when he takes a 5th rounder and turns him into a Skinner......of course that will never happen because he only takes on kids who are stars before they ever come to him.

I don't see Gary Roberts denying a young talent's will to get better just because he might harbour a grudge against a certain organization. That seems kind of shoddy to me, especially after he talked about stuff which is out of a player's control. For example, I don't think it would be right if he denied Kassian access to the program - I mean, it's not his fault Gillis said what he said, right?

AV made a boneheaded public comment about Cody faking an injury and he did not retract, nor apologize, even after it turned out that the injury was real and serious. I can see mistrust developing from there. Maybe AV was better behind the scenes than he was in public, but we will never know because Cody has been silent on everything and taking the high road so far.

Archived