The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gary Roberts Calls Mike Gillis A 'moron' For Comments About Hodgson

yes we can nucks

This will go down as one of the biggest flop trades in Canucks history; all because Gillis didn't know how to manage a misdiagnosed back injury and let personal issues with a player's agent/family get in the way of a sound business decision.

Just wait until next season when Cody's pumping out 60-70 points in Buffalo and Zach's riding the pine or playing for the Wolves. What a waste of the best prospect we've had since Kesler.

It's not like we had to trade him. So what if Cody's camp was asking for more ice-time, does that mean he gets it? Does that mean Cody was going to stop playing or showing up to practice if he didn't get it? No. He was still under contract. He would have still performed. After all, Cody loves the game, and still wanted to establish himself and get proven.

Roberts should be the one to keep his mouth shut if he didn't really know what was going on behind closed doors.

If Cody really is a prima donna he should be exposed as one. Kids like that that have been used to getting treated with favoritism their whole careers need to be called out. Maybe this will make him take a look at the way he has been conducting himself and make some changes.

Something tells me there was a mountain of issues that Gillis had to deal with for him to call out a player like that. he is a former player agent after all, I'm sure he's dealt with a lot of player issues, but obviously Cody's were over the top.

They treated this kid with golden glove for the last three years and did everything but wipe his @ss. Then Cody's camp (Father) interferes and creates trouble asking for top line minutes and so on, even with the vast inconsistancy of Hodgsons production through out the season.

I think Gillis was being overly kind not saying anything till he did and was right to explain himself to the fans. I know it cleared up alot for me about stuff i guessed at and now know for sure.

Cody's a great player but i don't know of many GM'S that are gonna put up with that kind of baggage for too long. If i was Cody i would tell my camp to stay the fr@ck out of my affairs and let him play hockey, because no team is gonna want those kind of distractions.

Oh and NO Gillis is not a moron, he knew exactly what he was doing and didn't want to put up with the crap anymore. Especially since the guy didn't want to be here anyway.

Roberts comments are belligerent and out of line. I never took Gillis' comments as something directed towards Hodgson's injury which is what Roberts is criticizing Gillis on. Those comments were more directed towards attitude problems ex. being a whiny ass bitch. All you have to do is look a Hodgson's interviews after the trade was made and you can clearly that he had said something out of line. Seems like to me he tried to play hardball with Gillis and AV and ended up getting shipped out of town.

Another way of looking at it is this:

Roberts takes in Kassian for his program

Kassian doesn't perform as planned or is injured during the season

The Canucks blame Roberts (previous bad blood induced) for either not properly training Kassian or over working him etc.

There is a certain risk/blame factor on Roberts part.

This will go down as one of the biggest flop trades in Canucks history; all because Gillis didn't know how to manage a misdiagnosed back injury and let personal issues with a player's agent/family get in the way of a sound business decision.

Just wait until next season when Cody's pumping out 60-70 points in Buffalo and Zach's riding the pine or playing for the Wolves. What a waste of the best prospect we've had since Kesler.

It's not like we had to trade him. So what if Cody's camp was asking for more ice-time, does that mean he gets it? Does that mean Cody was going to stop playing or showing up to practice if he didn't get it? No. He was still under contract. He would have still performed. After all, Cody loves the game, and still wanted to establish himself and get proven.

Everyone saying it wasn't right or it wasn't necessary for MG to make those comments is wrong.

People were calling for MG to get fired because of that trade, and the media and fans kept asking questions about it relentlessly. Something had to be said about the trade and so he did, now everyone thinks it was the wrong thing to do?

Make up your mind. I didn't care for what Roberts had to say, and was glad when Gillis talked about the Hodgson trade.

Roberts seems to be a good trainer, but at the same time almost all the names mentioned that he trained are elite top players anyway. I'm sure a lot of people working stamkos, skinner,neal ( he put up big points in dallas before getting traded last year and slumping while learning the pittsburgh system) would have had them producing a lot as well... out of the players mentioned hodgson does seem like the one that he may have been able to improve the most but even then it's possible cody just needed more time in the nhl to begin to produce

I am on the side of MG because when it comes to Vancouver they know how to tight lip anything. Injuries, disgruntle players, etc they know how to keep the lid shut. So when Hodgson was traded MG kept silent and silent and things didn't go very well for us. Kassian is a year or two away from being a impactful player, Gragnani will have chances to succeed but I fear that he may just be a wash in the deal. So when we to LA everyone was pulling out their hairs, still moaning about how Hodgson could have won us the series. MG had to say something, and you know what he said bare minimal. Just be glad he didn't go out in his under wear and bashed Hodgson until his face turned blue. I also wish to state that Hodgson DID not play all that well with the Sabres; I watched a lot of games with Hodgson as Buffalo and he was sloppy, made poor plays on the defensive side. Sure offensive is great, but wasn't Hodgson suppose to be a great two way player? The trade had a poor effect on both sides, we lost offence and Buffalo lost defence for offence.

you just dont get it bud , basically the argument from the hodgson lovers

"GIVE ME PROOF HE WANTED OUT"

not thats theres proof he wanted out

"FORCE HIM TO PLAY"

i swear some of you dont even think before you type out these long winded story book posts of retardedness

Can't wait till next season and kassian still isn't producing, atleast people won't have the "look how bad cody was his first year" excuse

edit: and I cant wait for the season after that so that people can't say "it takes longer for power forwards to develop"

you just dont get it bud , basically the argument from the hodgson lovers

"GIVE ME PROOF HE WANTED OUT"

not thats theres proof he wanted out

"FORCE HIM TO PLAY"

i swear some of you dont even think before you type out these long winded story book posts of retardedness

i was hoping kass would be able to train with roberts over the summer... but after gillis's comments and gary's outrage, i don't think he'll take on any more canucks. good thing tanev already got his foot in the door. sucks for the rest of our players though.

Good points, but you're missing the big fact that Cody wanted out of Vancouver. Either him, his agent, or his dad, demanded a trade. If a player doesn't want to stay, he WILL be traded by all means.. and this something every GM in the league will agree with. I believe his problems were starting to affect the rest of the players in the locker room, that's why MG traded him so urgently. I agree that the return on investment sucks and we could've gotten more had we waited for off season though.

Gillis got fleeced on this deal and now he trying to justify it and deflect blame from a horrific playoff run by suggesting that CoHo was nothing but a problem. In fact the last 3 deals Gillis have made were horrid, so I am very scared about what lame deal that's gonna come for Luongo. Sure he can sign people to play for a discount but when it comes to trading he needs some serious help. Too bad the rumors about him stepping down were false.

Archived