The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gary Roberts Calls Mike Gillis A 'moron' For Comments About Hodgson

yes we can nucks

I don't think anybody has to choose between one or the other. It is widely acknowledged (refer to Wetcoaster's detailed post) that the Pat Quinn regime mishandled Pavel Bure throughout his entire career as a Canuck. Many Canucks fans resent Quinn for driving Bure away from this city, though they remain both fans of Bure and the team. Disliking Quinn did not mean disliking the team -- the organization and the brand are bigger than the general manager.

Just another example of how this organization mismanages its talent.

This is one of the reasons why good prospects cringe inside when the Canucks draft them. They simply don't know how develop and manage good young talent.

You both failed to comprehend what I was addressing so I will bold it for you:

Do you two hope that Kassian busts? If you do, you're not a fan of the Canucks as it is in the best interests of all Canuck fans that Kassian does indeed develop into a menacing 20g 30a powerforward. Wishing for him to fail is completely the opposite to wanting the best for your team.

If MG traded Hodgson because he was taking up too much of their time and they did in fact want a change of scenery then he made the worst move in franchise history.

If MG traded Hodgson because he wanted out then he did the nicest, best possible thing for both parties and should be commended.

Either way, if Gary Roberts isn't pleased with the Canucks GM good luck getting any of our young talent like Kassian, Gragnani and especially Jensen to train under him.

It's funny.

canucks.com forum is like high school

you see popular trend, you try to jump. LIke Iphones and smart phones they have it, I want it too.

True religion Jeans, is probably one of the most popular jeans for asian teens. If you guys go to a east van high school you will know what I mean. Because soooooo many teenagers are wearing these 300 dollar jeans! Everyone is getting those jeans, I must grab a pair.

I read the first 3 pages, and decided to make a response.

It looks like, a few people have agreed with Gary Roberts that Gillis is a moron, and all of a sudden, a few people agreed with him, 40 thumbs up comments here and there, AND EVERYONE is on the "YEA I AGREE ROBERTS"

First off, how the hell would you decide to side with the person who just called Gillis a moron?

Mike Gillis was professional, in his season ending conference. He was dissapointed, sad, probably pissed, like everyone else. His team won just 1 game this playoffs.

HIs comments on Cody Hodgson.

Mike Gillis I applaud you for speaking it as it is. As a Vancouver Canucks fan , I am glad he said what he had to say about the HOdgson situation. It wasn't easy. Cody Hodgson was a fan favorite, and many of us penciled him, as a guy that will take over as our number 1 centerman in the future. So he tells us exactly why he traded him.

He said

"I had more issues with him in the past 3 seasons, then any other player combined."

WHATS WRONG WITH THIS COMMENT. Now theirs closure! He was honest, and said nothing else! So now I know, as a Canuck fan, Gillis didn't trade him, because he wanted too, he traded him because he causing too many issues. WE don't know what these are. But we know, it's probably because of Hodgson, and nothing else.

Maybe we misdiagnosed him, but Mr. Roberts, stfu, if you don't know what your talking about don't say anything.

As for Gary Roberts, he should keep his mouth if he doesn't know what was actually going on.

Cody Hodgson was probably breathing a sigh of relieve that he Gillis didn't tell the world, what kind of stress he probably put the Canucks through! He was probably to Gary Roberts, "oh it was nothing," But it was something, and it was bad enough that Cody didn't want to tell Gary Roberts . He was probably to embarrased to tell him.

It has to be THAT bad in order for Gillis to say something like that about a player.

Question 1

Do you rather Gillis tell us the real reason why he traded Hodgson?

1 yes

2 no

anyone who chose option 2 is a complete idiot. It's like saying I dont want Pavel Bure to tell us why he wanted to leave Vancouver

Anyone who chose option 1, but at one point, voted a plus 1 to any of the "Gillis should't have said it" or commented on agreeing with another person who said, "he shouldn't have said" is complete dumbass because your not contracdicting yourself Cause Personally, I want to know why he did it. Now we know. It wasn't because he wanted to "add toughness" because if those issues didn't happen, Gillis would have kept him, but he was causing problems. He said it in the most simple way ever, "I had more issues with him then any other player combined." The brass will probably back up him on this, but Gillis probably doesn't want to get his colleagues involved.

IN the end, what Gary Roberts was unprofessional, becaue he didn't know what really happened. Gillis had to address the media, and Cody Hodgson trade was a huge topic. Another reason other hockey fans can use to slam the Canucks. "Oh they have a classless gm."

Classless my balls. Nuff said. Keep up the good work and honesty Mike Gillis. Gary Roberts can suck it. We don't need players going to him anyways.

Mike Gillis I'm glad you said it, you told Canucks fans why you did it. I guess in 20 years from now, you can then tell us what were the issues, just like what how Pavel finally told us why he wanted out.

Also Gary Roberts.... Look at team he's assembled...... a moron? cmon dude... grow up.

Good thing Gillis solved the puzzle for you.

I agree it's a puzzling trade on the surface but now we've gotten to get beyond the surface. Now they could have just put up with it because no matter what CoHo is a terrific hockey player. Hopefully he continues to develop and lives up to his potential. Certainly seems like he's on his way.

All of you agreeing with Roberts and insulting Gillis are the true morons here. It is OBVIOUS now that there was a storm brewing, and if it wasn't nipped in the bud, it would be looming over the team like a cancer. Get that through your heads. I miss Hodgson, but it is clear that this trade needed to happen.

It's done, now get over it.

cody is gone, nothing we can do. It was just a situation that went bad for both sides and honestly it was probably two years in the making. Cody was an 18 year old kid who basically was mismanaged by the Canucks and called out by AV. He learned not to trust the organization based on how he was handled that is why he hired Roberts. I believe both sides had good intentions but it simply didn't work out. I really don't think Gillis helped himself or the organization with his comments about a former player, as we all agree, nothing good can really come from how that was perceived. This doesn't mean Gillis isn't a good GM or AV isn't a good coach but it is clear they both made a mistake here. Av doesn't have the best reputation for developing young talent and anyone who points to the Sedins whould remember that they were given tons of ice time and powerplay opportunities perhaps underserving, by a different coach to aid in their development.

Mike Gillis is defensive over the trade because the perception is that he got fleeced and we gave up a potential star player. He doesn't appreciate that and lashed out a bit. I for one think Kassian will be a very nice addition in time if he is given the ice time to develop. I am just fearful that this will not happen as AV really is a veteran coach who doesn't play rookies and clearly plays favorites He is quite a good coach for an older team but developing talent doesn't seem to be his strong suit

Gary Roberts, are you kidding ME? Gillis could have come out and said a lot more than what he did, you should be glad that he didn't and only went as far as giving a brief outline as to why he was traded.

Put yourself in MG's shoes, he trades away a promising young talent and the people in Vancouver demand answers, WTF do you expect him to do? Keep his mouth shut and take the blame for everything?

Codys issues were obviously a big part in trading him, MG would look like a fool without telling the media that. Period.

All of you agreeing with Roberts and insulting Gillis are the true morons here. It is OBVIOUS now that there was a storm brewing, and if it wasn't nipped in the bud, it would be looming over the team like a cancer. Get that through your heads. I miss Hodgson, but it is clear that this trade needed to happen.

It's done, now get over it.

Why don't you say that to Gillis? Tell Gillis to stop insulting departed players. Hodgson is not cancer to the team and isn't developing into one anytime soon. If that was the case ... why would he be putting up the numbers? His points did help Canucks win games ... did it not?

And his point production would help Canucks in these playoffs would it not? I mean ... how many points is Kassian going to get this year eating Nachos in the pressbox?

Gillis made a trade (that may or may not work out) at a time when both our 1st & 2nd line were struggling. That trade did not improve our chances in this year's playoffs. Gillis made a mistake in dealing Hodgson and didn't get anything that could help us this year in return. (Kassian may turn out to be a great player ... but in 2012, he was in the pressbox). Instead of learning from his mistake, Gillis blame the trade on Hodgson. Gillis is a moron for making the trade and he is a moron for making excuses for the trade.

I know we Canucklheads are in disbelief that a rookie player would ask for a trade away from a cup contending, 2 time president's trophy winning team. But face the facts ... a up and coming star in the league playing behind #1 and #2 lines that didn't deserve their offensive starts & ice time. If Hodgson was given a fair shake by AV and given an opportunity/time to develop (a little more ice time and responsibilities); Hodgson's line would have been a force for LA to contend with this year. What is wrong with having 3 good lines and play the line that's hot any given night? But AV only played his veterans even injured ones instead of using the regular season to develop young talent. So what if we lost a few more games in regular season? We would be much better off in the playoffs.

If MG traded Hodgson because he was taking up too much of their time and they did in fact want a change of scenery then he made the worst move in franchise history.

If MG traded Hodgson because he wanted out then he did the nicest, best possible thing for both parties and should be commended.

Either way, if Gary Roberts isn't pleased with the Canucks GM good luck getting any of our young talent like Kassian, Gragnani and especially Jensen to train under him.

The problem with Gillis' remarks on Hodgson are not the fact that Hodgson had issues and created work. To me the concern is that the claim they specifically put him in offensive situations to make him a more tradable commodity. Obviously every one in the NHL has access to the very detailed stats but it still seems manipulative.

If you're a fan of the Canucks and you think they do no wrong then I guess this kind of behaviour is OK from your GM but really he needs to not divulge that kind of information.

And we can all call Roberts names and be mad at him but it doesn't change that he is very influential in the hockey and training world and it really isn't great to have a guy like that against you. He has the ear of a lot of young players and has had amazing results. Having him speaking poorly about your team isn't great. Say Jensen goes to Roberts and Roberts gives him his opinion of Gillis and the Canucks. I'm not sure that he is going to say positive things. And players do talk and it looks as though they do listen to and respect Gary Roberts a lot.

You can't argue that Cody Hodgson didn't improve greatly once he started working with Roberts. They diagnosed his injury and have made him a way better player. That's way more than the Canucks organization can say. It's no wonder Cody didn't love playing for the Canucks.

Yah an idiot who trains other players for what I am sure amounts to a hell of lot of money. Jeez what an idiot for not just being happy with his paycheck during the season but actually does something to get more money in the off season when his duties with Dallas are done.

What kind of idiot wants to make more money? What kind of idiot wants to help budding NHL stars see their full potential which is better for the game of hockey in general and therefore the Dallas Stars?

Geez Gary Roberts must be huge moron. :picard:

Gillis honestly answered a question with candor .. it has created a frenzy here, as most folks seek a hidden agenda in everything "Canuck". Gary Roberts is a shill for Cody's Conservative Daddy and Agent Winter .. Cody "taking" the high road is like Mitt Romney decrying the Super Pac attacks on Gingrich. (Google is your friend) .. :lol:

Archived