Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Phoenix Coyotes Sale May Be Finalized Next Week

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#1 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,898 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

http://www.bizjourna...e-could-be.html

A sale of the Phoenix Coyotes hockey club to an ownership group led by former San Jose Sharks CEO Greg Jamison could be approved by the National Hockey Leagueand city of Glendale as early as May 8. That would keep the Coyotesin Arizona and allow the team to rollover its on-ice success in this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs into ticket sales and business sponsorships for next season.
Jamison has brought together the investment money necessary to purchase the Coyotes from the NHL and keep the team in Glendale, sources familiar with thesale of the franchise said. Previous Attempts to buy the team have struggled to secure financing and monetary commitments for a franchise that loses $25 million each season.
If Jamison has his investment ducks in a row, it could result in the NHL officially announcing sometime next week that theCoyotes are off the market with terms of sale being finalized with Jamison, who still is a minority owner of the Sharks.
The NHL has owned the team since buying them out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2009 for $140 million.
The Glendale City Council could vote on an arena lease deal and financial payments to Jamison’s group as early as its May 8 meeting, according to officials familiar with the matter. The city, however, has nothing on its council agenda yet, according to Glendale spokeswoman Juile Frisoni.
The city likely won't announce the details of a Coyotes plan and public vote until Friday if a vote is slated for May 8.
The city, NHL and Jamison are working out the Glendale portion of the deal that previously has tripped up other bids for the Coyotes. Glendale City Council members will be briefed again on the Coyotes situation early next week

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 30 April 2012 - 09:45 AM.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#2 Baka

Baka

ばか

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Does this mean if the Coyotes win the cup Bettman won't get his name on the cup? :bigblush:

Posted Image

#3 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Does this mean if the Coyotes win the cup Bettman won't get his name on the cup? :bigblush:

No, but he will be sharing the Conn Smythe with Mike Smith. :bigblush:

#4 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

I wonder what that will do to ticket prices. I pay 22.00 to watch the coyotes during the season. Not bad huh Canucks?

#5 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,898 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

I wonder what that will do to ticket prices. I pay 22.00 to watch the coyotes during the season. Not bad huh Canucks?

I live in TO and they are close to 100 for upper bowl blue line

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#6 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

They were selling tix for $10 at one point

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#7 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

When my gf and I went to Phoenix last November we went to the 5-0 game. There were a couple sitting beside us and the guy sat the entire and never stood or yelled once, a quiet clap sufficed for him. His gf sat and read a book the entire game without even glancing up once.

We payed 22 dollar each for tickets, The things I would do if I could watch the Canucks for 22 dollars a game, I'd almost be too much of a fan.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#8 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

You can barely get a beer and a stale piece of pizza for that at GM PLACE.

#9 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

I heard from someone that Scotsdale(where the Yotes play) is in the middle of no where. It's far from everything and people rarely would make the trips when they can go to the Cardinals, Suns, D-Backs, and college games.

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 30 April 2012 - 01:18 PM.

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#10 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,853 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Sale is imminent in two weeks.

That's what we have heard for the past 2+ years.

I'll believe it when they sign a cheque. Besides how long will the team last when Glendale goes bankrupt and can't subsidize the team?!?

#11 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,063 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

How convenient...

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#12 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Sale is imminent in two weeks.

That's what we have heard for the past 2+ years.

I'll believe it when they sign a cheque. Besides how long will the team last when Glendale goes bankrupt and can't subsidize the team?!?

Yes, we've heard this song and dance for so long now, funny how this stuff always happens during the playoffs. When the sale is officially announced, I'll believe it.

#13 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,019 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

hope they win and move to quebec. so they lose a team, and that team wins a cup (AVs). now they will have a team after that team wins a cup. it will be symmetric, with no cups in quebec still.
Posted Image

#14 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,019 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

You can barely get a beer and a stale piece of pizza for that at GM PLACE.

parking was like $15-20 in the lots just outside the stadium a few yrs ago. i'm sure it's that or higher now

Edited by Jaimito, 30 April 2012 - 04:48 PM.

Posted Image

#15 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

It's in Glendale, not Scottsdale.

Everything else is TRUE

The Coyotes used to do well attendance wise until they moved to this horribly located arena.

Pretend Rogers arena is in Abbotsford, and you'll start to understand what happened to the Coyotes.

#16 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Everything else is TRUE

The Coyotes used to do well attendance wise until they moved to this horribly located arena.

Pretend Rogers arena is in Abbotsford, and you'll start to understand what happened to the Coyotes.

The difference being that the Canucks, would still sell out in Abby. Far and away more hockey fans in the Valley than the Coyotes would ever hope in Glendale and/or Scottdale. And be more profitable to boot.

#17 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

The liquor store in Glendale gives a free ticket to the Yotes game if you buy a 26 oz of vodka.
Posted Image

#18 33HankandDank22

33HankandDank22

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

I live in TO and they are close to 100 for upper bowl blue line

Cheapest Phoenix season tickets are apparently $440. Not bad.

#19 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

Everything else is TRUE

If the Canucks came to Abby, it would make going to Canucks games so much easier.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 01Luongo

01Luongo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

I heard from someone that Scotsdale(where the Yotes play) is in the middle of no where. It's far from everything and people rarely would make the trips when they can go to the Cardinals, Suns, D-Backs, and college games.

The Coyotes play in Glendale which is about 30mins drive(freeway) from downtown Phoenix. The Coyotes arena and Cardinals stadium are next to each other. Other than a few bars and retail stores, it's pretty much located in the middle of no where.

Phoenix Sun and D-Backs play in dt Phoenix.

#21 iinteenseee

iinteenseee

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Not sure how these deals work entirely but wouldn't something like this be really distracting for the team at such a crucial time of the year?

#22 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

Everything else is TRUE

Thanks, finally get to understand, +1 :)

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#23 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

wouldnt this be a conflict of interest if he still owns part of the sharks?

maybe aquilini should bid and force the gm to trade all of phoenix's best players to us for nothing!
(its the new pittsburgh rebuild) :frantic:

#24 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

Everything else is TRUE

Not really, if you look at their attendance the trend is DOWN right from the first season on, you are also neglecting the novelty factor, discount the first few seasons as artificially inflated especially if the sport itself is new to the area, as people will always flock to see the "new" thing.

mqdefault.jpg

#25 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

If the Canucks came to Abby, it would make going to Canucks games so much easier.

Well, for people living in the suburbs maybe. Great for me as I living in Abby, but you could see how it makes it difficult for the millions who live in Metro Vancouver, especially those who live downtown, many of who don't even own a car.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#26 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,853 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

I don't understand how the people of Glendale are fine with their council throwing money at this team?!?

This "management fee" is a load of BS. Since when do arena's pay a team owner to 'manage' the arena? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Obviously a subsidy, which I thought was illegal.

If Bettman had worked this hard to keep the Jets in Winnipeg, they never would have left in the first place.

#27 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hope they move to Canada. Quebec or Hartford...

#28 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hope they move to Canada. Quebec or Hartford...

I'm trying to find a "Hartford" large enough in Canada to be an NHL city. Do you mean the Connecticut one? Geography, my friend.

Edited by chisoxin12, 03 May 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#29 Canuckfan_downunder

Canuckfan_downunder

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

I'm trying to find a "Hartford" large enough in Canada to be an NHL city. Do you mean the Connecticut one? Geography, my friend.

Maybe Hamilton or Halifax he meant? Either way
QUOTE (diamonddog01 @ Oct 6 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With this post you're now in the running for CDC's coveted "Down Syndrome Poster of the Year Award", congratulations.

QUOTE (Flinch @ Sep 24 2007, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brookbank, on the other hand, was only good for beating the living crap out of worthless Polish wife-beating pieces of trash (Oliwa, read up on him if you don't understand...)

#30 Fincup13

Fincup13

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Not really, if you look at their attendance the trend is DOWN right from the first season on, you are also neglecting the novelty factor, discount the first few seasons as artificially inflated especially if the sport itself is new to the area, as people will always flock to see the "new" thing.

97-15585, 98-15404, 99-15547, 00-14991, 01-14224, 02-13165, 03-13229, 04-15467, 06-15582, 07-14985, 08-14820, 09-14875, 10-11989, 11-12188, 12-12421

Sorry, I don't see the downward trend right from the first season. I see downward trends because highschool dropout former NHL players think that knowing how to shoot a hockey puck gives them the business and marketing smarts to run a team.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.