The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Phoenix Coyotes Sale May Be Finalized Next Week

Xbox

wouldnt this be a conflict of interest if he still owns part of the sharks?

maybe aquilini should bid and force the gm to trade all of phoenix's best players to us for nothing!

(its the new pittsburgh rebuild) :frantic:

It's in Glendale, not Scottsdale.

Everything else is TRUE

The Coyotes used to do well attendance wise until they moved to this horribly located arena.

Pretend Rogers arena is in Abbotsford, and you'll start to understand what happened to the Coyotes.

I don't understand how the people of Glendale are fine with their council throwing money at this team?!?

This "management fee" is a load of BS. Since when do arena's pay a team owner to 'manage' the arena? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Obviously a subsidy, which I thought was illegal.

If Bettman had worked this hard to keep the Jets in Winnipeg, they never would have left in the first place.

Not really, if you look at their attendance the trend is DOWN right from the first season on, you are also neglecting the novelty factor, discount the first few seasons as artificially inflated especially if the sport itself is new to the area, as people will always flock to see the "new" thing.

97-15585, 98-15404, 99-15547, 00-14991, 01-14224, 02-13165, 03-13229, 04-15467, 06-15582, 07-14985, 08-14820, 09-14875, 10-11989, 11-12188, 12-12421

Sorry, I don't see the downward trend right from the first season. I see downward trends because highschool dropout former NHL players think that knowing how to shoot a hockey puck gives them the business and marketing smarts to run a team.

Try looking at your own numbers, it starts at just under 16000 in 97, by 2003 it drops to barely over 13000, that isn't a downward trend? What kind of math are you using? It spikes a bit in 04, why? NEW ARENA, everyone checking out the NEW thing, after the NHL and NHLPA threw a season long hissyfit, the legions of fans that only you and Bettman seem to see couldn't fill the rink, not even as many as the first season, and the numbers begin to drop almost immediately. You keep trying to blame Moyes and Gretzky but the decliniong attendance was there long before them, you just don't want to see it, the bankruptcy didn't help, but it didn't cause the problem it just accelarated an existing trend. I've heard every excuse in the book, but excuses don't pay the bills. In good markets people will find a reason to go, in bad markets people will find an excuse not to go, I've heard nothing but excuses out of Phoenix, and their supporters.

Phoenix won the Pacific Division, is in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Yet the team had 12,240 fans per home game. Toronto who has not won a cup since 1967, sells out every game.

So much for the "well fans won't go to see a bad team" argument.

This will just be a delaying tactic. No owner will bleed money for more than 2-3 seasons. The writing is on the wall unless attendance skyrockets next season.

Yet the team had 12,240 fans per home game. Toronto who has not won a cup since 1967, sells out every game.

This will just be a delaying tactic. No owner will bleed money for more than 2-3 seasons. The writing is on the wall unless attendance skyrockets next season.

Bettman: "Hey Greg. Wanna buy the Yotes?"

Jamison: "I don't know Gary. The franchise is a money pit"

B: "How about I give you a discount, you can move it in a couple of years and the Stanley Cup?"

J: "This year for the Stanley Cup?"

B: "Sure...I got the officials in my back pocket."

J: "OK...I always wanted a Stanley Cup ring."

I bought my season tix last week.. $18 per seat for the lower upper bowl....

Locked in for the next two rounds as well... $22 for the conference finals and $30 for the SC if they get that far...

This is one town where we will applaud Mr. Bettman! Best commissioner in all of sport!

Archived