Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Phoenix Coyotes Sale May Be Finalized Next Week

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#31 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,922 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

I'm trying to find a "Hartford" large enough in Canada to be an NHL city. Do you mean the Connecticut one? Geography, my friend.

there's a hartford ontario just SW of hamilton... it's tiny, but has a large pop to draw from close by... maybe he meant that?

Edited by avelanch, 04 May 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#32 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,650 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

97-15585, 98-15404, 99-15547, 00-14991, 01-14224, 02-13165, 03-13229, 04-15467, 06-15582, 07-14985, 08-14820, 09-14875, 10-11989, 11-12188, 12-12421

Sorry, I don't see the downward trend right from the first season. I see downward trends because highschool dropout former NHL players think that knowing how to shoot a hockey puck gives them the business and marketing smarts to run a team.

Try looking at your own numbers, it starts at just under 16000 in 97, by 2003 it drops to barely over 13000, that isn't a downward trend? What kind of math are you using? It spikes a bit in 04, why? NEW ARENA, everyone checking out the NEW thing, after the NHL and NHLPA threw a season long hissyfit, the legions of fans that only you and Bettman seem to see couldn't fill the rink, not even as many as the first season, and the numbers begin to drop almost immediately. You keep trying to blame Moyes and Gretzky but the decliniong attendance was there long before them, you just don't want to see it, the bankruptcy didn't help, but it didn't cause the problem it just accelarated an existing trend. I've heard every excuse in the book, but excuses don't pay the bills. In good markets people will find a reason to go, in bad markets people will find an excuse not to go, I've heard nothing but excuses out of Phoenix, and their supporters.

#33 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Try looking at your own numbers, it starts at just under 16000 in 97, by 2003 it drops to barely over 13000, that isn't a downward trend? What kind of math are you using? It spikes a bit in 04, why? NEW ARENA, everyone checking out the NEW thing, after the NHL and NHLPA threw a season long hissyfit, the legions of fans that only you and Bettman seem to see couldn't fill the rink, not even as many as the first season, and the numbers begin to drop almost immediately. You keep trying to blame Moyes and Gretzky but the decliniong attendance was there long before them, you just don't want to see it, the bankruptcy didn't help, but it didn't cause the problem it just accelarated an existing trend. I've heard every excuse in the book, but excuses don't pay the bills. In good markets people will find a reason to go, in bad markets people will find an excuse not to go, I've heard nothing but excuses out of Phoenix, and their supporters.

Exactly! so bring the yotes to Portland please!
Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#34 geezer2

geezer2

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

The way the last game was played by the "yotes" cities will pay to keep them away

#35 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 76,184 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Jude Lacava from Fox 10 news in Phoenix reports, Bettman and Jamison will be announcing a Coyotes deal tomorrow before Game 5.

307mg00.jpg

#36 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,559 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

Phoenix won the Pacific Division, is in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Yet the team had 12,240 fans per home game. Toronto who has not won a cup since 1967, sells out every game.

So much for the "well fans won't go to see a bad team" argument.
This will just be a delaying tactic. No owner will bleed money for more than 2-3 seasons. The writing is on the wall unless attendance skyrockets next season.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#37 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

Yet the team had 12,240 fans per home game. Toronto who has not won a cup since 1967, sells out every game.

This will just be a delaying tactic. No owner will bleed money for more than 2-3 seasons. The writing is on the wall unless attendance skyrockets next season.

Just ask Michael Heisley how this works. He thought the corporate community let him down in Vancouver, look at the mess in Memphis. Great team and they draw flies. I really don't get how anyone would want to step up to the plate for this Phoenix franchise, they'll never make money in Glendale.

#38 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

Bettman: "Hey Greg. Wanna buy the Yotes?"

Jamison: "I don't know Gary. The franchise is a money pit"

B: "How about I give you a discount, you can move it in a couple of years and the Stanley Cup?"

J: "This year for the Stanley Cup?"

B: "Sure...I got the officials in my back pocket."

J: "OK...I always wanted a Stanley Cup ring."

#39 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

...and when they charge NHL prices for their games, then we'll see how attendance will skyrocket.

#40 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

I bought my season tix last week.. $18 per seat for the lower upper bowl....

Locked in for the next two rounds as well... $22 for the conference finals and $30 for the SC if they get that far...

This is one town where we will applaud Mr. Bettman! Best commissioner in all of sport!

#41 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Plus, Jamison knows that there will be a roll back in salaries once the lockout happens this year... Will put him in a better financial position for sure...

Truthfully, if I was paying $100 per ticket like in Van and Tor... I'd expect a consistent cup contender... And be PO'd if we were getting knocked out first round or never even making the playoffs...

Paying KC Royals pricing I'm hoping for good entertainment and maybe win a round of playoffs every so often.... Don't really expect a cup contender for the most part, but of course will take any great run we can get...

I'm a hockey fan, love going to games and am glad I don't have to break my financial budget to do so...

#42 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Chicago didn't draw flies either for years while they were losing before this most recent run... Yet everyone says they have great fans... Seems to me people are showing up to support a winner....

#43 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Plus, Jamison knows that there will be a roll back in salaries once the lockout happens this year... Will put him in a better financial position for sure...

Truthfully, if I was paying $100 per ticket like in Van and Tor... I'd expect a consistent cup contender... And be PO'd if we were getting knocked out first round or never even making the playoffs...

Paying KC Royals pricing I'm hoping for good entertainment and maybe win a round of playoffs every so often.... Don't really expect a cup contender for the most part, but of course will take any great run we can get...

I'm a hockey fan, love going to games and am glad I don't have to break my financial budget to do so...

If anything the salary cap is going up for next season, so where do you get your info from. Only IF you were paying $100 per ticket like Van and Tor would Jamison expect to turn the Coyotes around. You might have to pay a bit more for this too work in Glendale, lord knows not to many owners have made money in the 16 years they've been in existence.

Edited by chisoxin12, 07 May 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#44 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

parking was like $15-20 in the lots just outside the stadium a few yrs ago. i'm sure it's that or higher now

yup last year i took my girlfriend to the avs/canucks when we routed them 6 zip. 25 bucks for parking. 8 bucks for a small half cup of beer. 225 each for tickets. wicked game but it did hurt the wallet.
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#45 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

I bought my season tix last week.. $18 per seat for the lower upper bowl....

Locked in for the next two rounds as well... $22 for the conference finals and $30 for the SC if they get that far...

This is one town where we will applaud Mr. Bettman! Best commissioner in all of sport!

That would pay for a parking spot in Vancouver, no wonder this franchise is in trouble.

#46 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

If anything the salary cap is going up for next season, so where do you get your info from. Only IF you were paying $100 per ticket like Van and Tor would Jamison expect to turn the Coyotes around. You might have to pay a bit more for this too work in Glendale, lord knows not to many owners have made money in the 16 years they've been in existence.

No way they raise the cap... To many teams are not making money... Why would they lockout if they were going to raise the cap???

#47 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

yup last year i took my girlfriend to the avs/canucks when we routed them 6 zip. 25 bucks for parking. 8 bucks for a small half cup of beer. 225 each for tickets. wicked game but it did hurt the wallet.

Hope u got lucky....

#48 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

No way they raise the cap... To many teams are not making money... Why would they lockout if they were going to raise the cap???

What lockout??? The NHL and NHLPA have barely began discussions, and you're talking lockout. All indications show an increase in the salary cap.

#49 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

They should announce it after the series is over to avoid distractions.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#50 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

The league is trying to make the cap close to 50% of gross revenue, much lower than the 57% it is right now.

#51 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

They'll never make the play-offs now.
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#52 babalu

babalu

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

Anyone else find the timing of this announcement very interesting. Kind of like how Colin Campbell stepped down prior to the Canucks and Bruins meeting in the finals.

#53 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

Anyone else find the timing of this announcement very interesting. Kind of like how Colin Campbell stepped down prior to the Canucks and Bruins meeting in the finals.

What's so odd about Campbell stepping down since he had a son playing for Boston?

#54 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

Talk on this evening was a lot of smaller ticket plans... If I'm them I'd target market to all of those Canadian snowbirds that come down here too... Directly into Canada.. Older people that spend their winter's down here... You can go to a game for less than $300 of one night at the Canadian teams games... Got to be creative...

#55 afesposit

afesposit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

And yes.. Bettman got applauded...

#56 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

dallas or phoenix will be moving to seattle in my opinion after the new arena is built.

#57 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

What's so odd about Campbell stepping down since he had a son playing for Boston?

His son was playing for Boston quite awhile before he decided to step down.

#58 skolozsy2

skolozsy2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

Chicago didn't draw flies either for years while they were losing before this most recent run... Yet everyone says they have great fans... Seems to me people are showing up to support a winner....

just about every team at one point or another has had attendance issues with the exception of a few teams. Even vancouver, who holds the sell-out streak, had issues before the Sedins were drafted.Attendence isnt always attributed to a teams success. Sometimes fans turn on an owner, dont like the direction of the team, cant afford the increased ticket prices, are spending thier entertainment dollar on a far more successful franchises in town.And sellouts year in and year out dont necessarily mean "great" fans. Chicago Cubs were drawing 40,000 a game and hadnt won in a 100 years. Great fans, right? I bet half of them couldnt tell you who was playing first base. They were going to games cause it was the "in" thing to do not because they love the Cubs.

#59 chilliwiggins

chilliwiggins

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

campbell stepped down because of corruption regarding his e-mails to head referees that he was calling out because of calls made against his son, as well as what he said abouty marc savard

#60 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,650 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

campbell stepped down because of corruption regarding his e-mails to head referees that he was calling out because of calls made against his son, as well as what he said abouty marc savard

I don't think he stepped down, just stepped aside to let someone else take the heat, I still see his hand in random length suspensions. I wouldn't be surprised if he is still calling the shots by remote control, just like in the finals, he "turned the job over" to Mike Murphy, who just happens to be Bettmans brother in law.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.