The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey News' 'all Ufa Team' And The Canucks

Not true, it could be like the Hamhuis situation where Hamhuis was signed here for less money because Van is a competitive and great team to play for. I can see Parise taking 6M for 6 years to play here. Besides, isn't Parise leaving NJ because he wants the cup?

I think there is a high probability that we sign a big name in Parise or Suter considering the Luongo trade fiasco.

Trade Luongo for a high draft pick and a solid player with a low salary (Of course a team that has enough cap space for Lu). That way if you think about it, we traded Luongo which enabled us to increase our cap space and sign a player we want (suter, parise), plus a high draft pick for the future, and a solid player for depth.

Not true, it could be like the Hamhuis situation where Hamhuis was signed here for less money because Van is a competitive and great team to play for. I can see Parise taking 6M for 6 years to play here. Besides, isn't Parise leaving NJ because he wants the cup?

Suter and or Parise.

I'm not sure why people are saying "it's unlikely," I think we have a real good chance at getting one, if we tried. Gillis just needs to make a good sell to their agents, and tell them exactly why Vancouver is the best place for their clients. One card we can always use is that we are a cup contending team every. Also For Parise, his training buddy Schroeder is here, and his team usa linemate Kesler is on the team. I'm ok with offering Parise around 6 million. I'm not sure if anyone is stupid enough to offer him 7 million plus.

The same with Suter. We can just tell him, the honest truth, the type of player we are looking for, for the past 5 years, is a defencemen like him, and we believe we can win a stanley cup with him on the team. It's the honest truth. I'm ok with offering him 6.5 million honestly. He's that good.

Parise can jump start Keslers offensive numbers again. These 2 were line mates at the world juniors in 2004 that defeated Canada, and linemates at the 2010 Olympics.

I think it's possible we can get both. We have 9 million in cap room, cap is going up by 5 million, that gives us 14 million, if we trade Luongo that gives us another 5.3 million of cap room, and also I really think he should get rid of Ballard, that will give us another 4.2 million dollar of cap room. I know it's a dream, but we have a legit shot for at least getting one of them. Suter or Parise.

If we trade Luongo wouldn't mind seeing Josh Harding here as back-up to Schneider. Cheap and for 25 games a season would be a decent back-up. Would love to see Suter here not sure if that's possible though with Detroit potentially throwing dollars about.

Now if we can only get that 5th from Tampa for

Luongo, get Harding, Suter and sort that RW out..

We're not getting Suter because Weber is coming here like an ufa Hamhuis style.

In an article he wants to play closer to home and we don't have anyone to replace Sami if he retires next year.

I didn't buy it at first but after reading that, paired with the fact phoenix may sweep them. OHHHH BOy

The way I see it is that we are not gonna offer anyone with a higher cap hit of 6.1. After Luongo's contract, I doubt Gillis will go that route again. So with that said, we have to consider players that are only willing to accept a 6 million dollar contract or less to play here for at most 5 years.

I think Parise is within that range, but I'm not sure if he's the player we are looking for at this point. Weber is not going to be a possibility as we have no offer to trade for him. I'd only consider Suter for no more than 5 million, but with the market for him, he's likely not coming here either. Bottom line is we will not be making a big splash in free agency.

If we trade Luongo wouldn't mind seeing Josh Harding here as back-up to Schneider. Cheap and for 25 games a season would be a decent back-up. Would love to see Suter here not sure if that's possible though with Detroit potentially throwing dollars about.

Problem is, you always have to overpay to sign UFAs, and aside from Suter and Parise, there isn't anyone out there worth overpaying for this summer, at least in my opinion.

I think it's a real long shot that Parise and Suter sign here, what with both Detroit and Chicago going into the summer with a tonne of cap space, not to mention the rumour that the two want to play together.

Gaustad is an interesting option for the third line centre spot, but again, you're going to have overpay a lot to get him signed. Do you pay 3 to 3.5 million for your third line centre in the cap era?

BTW, no thnks on Semin. Last thing we need is another small, flaky European.

Barrett Jackman would be an awesome signing, for sure. Big, tough, punishing, stay-at home defenceman. Willie Mitchell-esqe.

Paul Gaustad would be a great bottom 6 guy who can play on the PP... big body in front.

Brat Stuart would be a solid addition to the back end. An alternative if Jackman can't be signed.

Alex Semin interests me, too. Because he is a righty, he could play the right side, an area of weakness league-wide. He may demand too much salary for a 60 point guy, though. $4.5 - 5M, I might take a stab.

Parise and Suter would be nice, too. :bigblush:

:towel::canucks:

Booth is a bust here.It simply just didn't work.Trade Booth and Ballard straight up for Nash.Canucks even gain 600,000 in cap space.Hell i would throw in Raymond.When the Canucks move Luongo(far to many hockey guys in the know seem to think it's all but done Lu is gone for sure)then see if they can get a goalie back.If it's Toronto then get Reimer back.He would interest Columbus.There are different scenerious for Nash.I don't think the Twins noses would be to far out of joint if that beast was on their line.Burrows can play with Kesler and the Canucks can pick up a winger through FA .

Archived