Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Nicklas Jensen Needs To Play Next Year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
93 replies to this topic

#1 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Enough babbling about needing more offence then suggesting we trade for it all. This kid has some unreal skills in his arsenal and deserves a chance at the top 6 next year. It's time to start actually letting our rookies play if they're capable. Teams like Boston, Philadelphia, etc.. They all do it. It's Vancouver's time to do it. I want to see him given the chance.

#2 Bilbro Baggins

Bilbro Baggins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

He has to earn it. We've got a team of solid, proven NHLers. If he outplays at least 6 of them, then he can get his chance on the 2nd line, maybe even the first. But, we aren't just going to let him play because he has to potential.

Posted Image

#3 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

He has to earn it. We've got a team of solid, proven NHLers. If he outplays at least 6 of them, then he can get his chance on the 2nd line, maybe even the first. But, we aren't just going to let him play because he has to potential.

Under Alain Vigneault it's not likely he ever gets that chance. Case in point? Shirokov, Grabner, Hodgson, etc. They all deserved more ice time than they got (although with Hodgson it's understandable to a degree).

#4 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

The difference is Boston and Phillies rookies are Schenn, Couturier, and Seguin.

Jensen is a strong young player....but the kid isn't even 20. Lets be patient with him.

#5 canuckspride

canuckspride

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

we let mason raymond play because he has "potential"

#6 Sixteen W's

Sixteen W's

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Everyone's so focused on the fourth line being tough or whatever, but they only end up playing less than 5 minutes a game. I wouldn't mind seeing a bunch of rookies getting a chance to play those minutes instead.

eptISvF.png

#7 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Under Alain Vigneault it's not likely he ever gets that chance. Case in point? Shirokov, Grabner, Hodgson, etc. They all deserved more ice time than they got (although with Hodgson it's understandable to a degree).

AV is super high on Jensen and I think that if he proves he's worth the shot in the NHL then AV will give it to him. This might just open the doors for our other prospects to come through without AV being so rough on them.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#8 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

We need a couple rookies and a couple veterans for balance. Oh how I dream of Selanne in a Canucks jersey, sadly it will never happen.

I hate how AV only dresses players that will win him the game that night. No room for rookies in his system. If that doesn't change then we don't have to worry about getting good draft picks since they will all want out anyways. I also dislike how they pick people who have the best training camp and completely disregard everything else they have done up to that point. I can't imagine something more demoralizing to a young players confidence. "Sorry kid, you have tried hard your whole life and accomplished a lot already, but since this one training camp sucked, we are taking that other bum who has sucked 90% of the year but tried hard this one time."

In this instance, I could see why Gary Roberts would have liked to call MG a moron.

Edited by hsedin33, 30 April 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#9 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Nino Nieddereiter says hi!

#10 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

He had some pretty solid numbers with Oshawa but they gotta be careful not to push him past his abilities. I think he is a couple of AHL seasons away from making the big team. If they are patient, I'm betting he's gonna be star in the NHL and a steal at 29th over all. The beauty of Jensen is that he play's both wings effectively. I can see him nest to Kesler in a couple of years.

#11 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,556 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

Thank you.

This sums up AV's weird/stupid decisions when it comes to young players perfectly,

but if Jensen isn't ready don't put him in, all/most of the players that step in and play right away and contribute are all top 10 picks, and that's usually why they are so high is because they have alot of upside like some of the later picks like Jensen but they are the most developed and ready players.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 30 April 2012 - 11:07 PM.

zackass.png

#12 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

+1 OP just because it isn't a Luongo thread.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#13 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,965 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

What exactly have our solid, proven NHLers proven? That they can't score post season? Whatever AV's offensive strategy, it needs to change. Some youth with speed, energy enthusiasm and creative talent might be what the Nucks need. Looked pretty slow and stale this playoff run.

#14 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

+1 OP just because it isn't a Luongo thread.

Can I get another one if I can turn this INTO one?

#15 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

Just reading HF's top 50 prospects for spring. Canucks don't have a single guy in the top 50... disappointing. Go Jensen Go
Posted Image

#16 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,777 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Jensen - Pahlsson - Hansen
Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian
Posted Image

#17 Southpop45

Southpop45

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Jensen - Pahlsson - Hansen
Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

lol kassian better not be on the 4th line next year, third line at the least

Edited by Southpop45, 30 April 2012 - 11:33 PM.

#18 Rookie Magic

Rookie Magic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

Everyone's so focused on the fourth line being tough or whatever, but they only end up playing less than 5 minutes a game. I wouldn't mind seeing a bunch of rookies getting a chance to play those minutes instead.

And play 15 minutes less than what they would be getting in Chicago? Not to mention PP time which would be non-existent with the Canucks. Offensive guys need their ice time to develop their game and it's only going to frustrate them more when they're not scoring and barely getting any ice time. Patience.

#19 canucks1692

canucks1692

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

I hate how AV only dresses players that will win him the game that night.

Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do? Dress the best possible lineup. The NHL is, and always has been, a results business.

#20 Flying Man

Flying Man

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

How's he been doing at the AHL level?
Posted Image

#21 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

He doesn't need to play next year. He needs to prove himself first and work his way up. Then he will play.

Edited by etsen3, 30 April 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#22 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:11 AM

Enough babbling about needing more offence then suggesting we trade for it all. This kid has some unreal skills in his arsenal and deserves a chance at the top 6 next year. It's time to start actually letting our rookies play if they're capable. Teams like Boston, Philadelphia, etc.. They all do it. It's Vancouver's time to do it. I want to see him given the chance.

As Kack has pointed out, there is a difference in the quality of the prospect. Jensen will likely become a very good player, once he has earned his time. You note that the Canucks rookies should get a chance to play 'if they're capable". Jensen will get that chance in training camp, just like every other player.

Why do all of these amazing prospects *deserve* more ice time? Why can't they earn more ice time, like the rest of the team? One of the ways that a player earns more ice time is to be defensively sound (at least, more often than not). All of the guys listed are not good in the defensive zone. Even Hodgson, who is the best of the lot still has many instances where he is stripped of the puck, knocked off the puck and so on resulting in opposition scoring chances.

Yeah, the Canucks could have all of those guys on one line, and they'd each score a goal every game... and their defensive play would result in at least as many being scored against. They are all soft players and I believe the team is better off without them.

And Raymond showed that potential by scoring 25 goals in '09 - 10. While he has not been able to re-capture that scoring touch these last two years, his defensive play has remained pretty good. True, as a top-6 winger he now leaves much to be desired (lack of scoring) but I would still keep him over Grabner or Shirokov.

Fun fact: Grabner got 20g but was a -18 this year while Raymond (in an injury recovery year), had 10 goals and was a +4.

I'm sure those 20 goals which Grabner got were really spectacular.

Certainly the 4th line is an energy line, but they also have to be sound checkers. If a prospect shows he can fill that role, to check and crash and bang, then indeed why not let him play on the 4th line. However, if we're talking about Jensen then I'd think his development would be better served playing more minutes in the AHL than 5 minutes or less at the NHL level.

I hate how AV only dresses players that will win him the game that night. No room for rookies in his system. If that doesn't change then we don't have to worry about getting good draft picks since they will all want out anyways. I also dislike how they pick people who have the best training camp and completely disregard everything else they have done up to that point. I can't imagine something more demoralizing to a young players confidence. "Sorry kid, you have tried hard your whole life and accomplished a lot already, but since this one training camp sucked, we are taking that other bum who has sucked 90% of the year but tried hard this one time."

In this instance, I could see why Gary Roberts would have liked to call MG a moron.

What coach wouldn't dress the players who he feels give the team the best chance to win on any given night?

If you believe that the Canucks should give ice time to prospects then why shouldn't they sit the entire starting roster and play the guys from the farm team? For a MONTH? You'll get a chance to see them for ten or so games, and since nobody cares about the President's Trophy, or the personal stats of the starters then all will good, right?

Of course, you might want to remember this past season's pre-season games which featured a team pretty much made out of prospects, try-outs and few of the first team guys who don't normally play all that much. It was only pre-season, but how happy were the majority of the fanbase while watching that hockey?

As to demoralizing events in a young player's life, can you imagine this scenario: "Sorry Hodgson, I know you have tried hard your whole life and accomplished a lot already, but there's this other guy (eg. Grabner/Shirokov) whose training camp sucked, and we are taking that bum who hasn't even tried hard in this camp over you."

You'd be okay with this, right?

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#23 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

I guess if he proves himself at the camps - go for it. He's only 19 though, so he might be a little young though.

#24 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

I guess if he proves himself at the camps - go for it. He's only 19 though, so he might be a little young though.

Your sig is awesome! :lol:

But I'd rather let him develop fully before rushing him into the NHL, seeing as he can't play in the AHL next season. I'd like to see him play for us for the 9 games though!
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#25 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:49 AM

As far as development goes, a full year in the AHL would not hurt, especially if he plays important minutes. It would help his defensive game as well, and I think that is what AV is hesitant about with rookies.

0au3Jj.gifhuntersmalll.jpg

#26 AnOnYmOuS

AnOnYmOuS

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:49 AM

How's he been doing at the AHL level?

He was producing at a point per game basis but took and elbow and is out with a suspected concussion. Definately don't want your prospects having concussion issues this early.

#27 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

How are those case in points? Grabner was out of shape and wasn't capable of scoring 30 goals with us at that time - this isn't opinion, it's fact. Grabs has stated this himself. Shirokov was a bust, get over your man crush for him. And Hodgson, 5 years from now when some other highly touted young center comes up through the system and the coach shoves Hodgson (if he was still with us) aside to "accomodate" and "give him more ice time" to this unproven rookie, think about how big a sook and cry and whine you're gonna have because Cody (Kesler/Henrik) was shoved aside to accomodate him.

Who do you think developed Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and many others in the minors? You really need to look past your AV man hate, it's clouding your judgement.
"BoKnows53"
My stinky team isn't on top of the Standings anymore Waah waaahh, fire everyone because I say so

- New Era Canucks Fans

#28 Buckmin

Buckmin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:52 AM

As Kack has pointed out, there is a difference in the quality of the prospect. Jensen will likely become a very good player, once he has earned his time. You note that the Canucks rookies should get a chance to play 'if they're capable". Jensen will get that chance in training camp, just like every other player.

Why do all of these amazing prospects *deserve* more ice time? Why can't they earn more ice time, like the rest of the team? One of the ways that a player earns more ice time is to be defensively sound (at least, more often than not). All of the guys listed are not good in the defensive zone. Even Hodgson, who is the best of the lot still has many instances where he is stripped of the puck, knocked off the puck and so on resulting in opposition scoring chances.

Yeah, the Canucks could have all of those guys on one line, and they'd each score a goal every game... and their defensive play would result in at least as many being scored against. They are all soft players and I believe the team is better off without them.

And Raymond showed that potential by scoring 25 goals in '09 - 10. While he has not been able to re-capture that scoring touch these last two years, his defensive play has remained pretty good. True, as a top-6 winger he now leaves much to be desired (lack of scoring) but I would still keep him over Grabner or Shirokov.

Fun fact: Grabner got 20g but was a -18 this year while Raymond (in an injury recovery year), had 10 goals and was a +4.

I'm sure those 20 goals which Grabner got were really spectacular.

Certainly the 4th line is an energy line, but they also have to be sound checkers. If a prospect shows he can fill that role, to check and crash and bang, then indeed why not let him play on the 4th line. However, if we're talking about Jensen then I'd think his development would be better served playing more minutes in the AHL than 5 minutes or less at the NHL level.

What coach wouldn't dress the players who he feels give the team the best chance to win on any given night?

If you believe that the Canucks should give ice time to prospects then why shouldn't they sit the entire starting roster and play the guys from the farm team? For a MONTH? You'll get a chance to see them for ten or so games, and since nobody cares about the President's Trophy, or the personal stats of the starters then all will good, right?

Of course, you might want to remember this past season's pre-season games which featured a team pretty much made out of prospects, try-outs and few of the first team guys who don't normally play all that much. It was only pre-season, but how happy were the majority of the fanbase while watching that hockey?

As to demoralizing events in a young player's life, can you imagine this scenario: "Sorry Hodgson, I know you have tried hard your whole life and accomplished a lot already, but there's this other guy (eg. Grabner/Shirokov) whose training camp sucked, and we are taking that bum who hasn't even tried hard in this camp over you."

You'd be okay with this, right?

regards,
G.

Whats with the common sense you are dribbling. This is CDC, reason doesnt work here. Try Raymond sucks, that will get you more plus'.
"Luongo had his worst year and won the Olympic Gold. And he can't win if he is at his best?"

#29 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

You do know who is coaching right?

#30 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

lol kassian better not be on the 4th line next year, third line at the least

...... not if Jensen out plays him... which won't be that hard

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.