The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nicklas Jensen Needs To Play Next Year

We need a couple rookies and a couple veterans for balance. Oh how I dream of Selanne in a Canucks jersey, sadly it will never happen.

I hate how AV only dresses players that will win him the game that night. No room for rookies in his system. If that doesn't change then we don't have to worry about getting good draft picks since they will all want out anyways. I also dislike how they pick people who have the best training camp and completely disregard everything else they have done up to that point. I can't imagine something more demoralizing to a young players confidence.  "Sorry kid, you have tried hard your whole life and accomplished a lot already, but since this one training camp sucked, we are taking that other bum who has sucked 90% of the year but tried hard this one time."

In this instance, I could see why Gary Roberts would have liked to call MG a moron.

Question: Can he play in the AHL next year?

I thought you had to be 20 by new years if you're coming out of junior.

But ... this article says that the Wolves say he will be eligible: http://www2.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=6477499

The quote is "According to the Wolves, Jensen is eligible to play in the AHL next season."

What's the deal? I'd love to see him with the Wolves +call ups. Great for development and allows him to make the jump, if ready, with a landing spot if he still needs seasoning.

He has to earn it. We've got a team of solid, proven NHLers. If he outplays at least 6 of them, then he can get his chance on the 2nd line, maybe even the first. But, we aren't just going to let him play because he has to potential.

Everyone's saying how hard it is to make the team as a rookie because AV is hard on them - take a look at Tanev guys. He has shown he's capable of stepping in and playing a solid game, which as a rookie, if you want to play, you have to do. We've built half of our D-core from the farm - Edler, Tanev, Bieksa. We have a solid group of forwards so it will take some patience for our young guns to be ready to make an impact - which we should be thankful for.

kinda like how gillis and AV gave Hodgson a chance in the top-6 role right?

good luck getting your wish with our present management.

hodgson started on the 4th line, so did Kassian and so will Jenson/Schroeder...It's ridiculous

AV needs to relax during the season. He plays every game like it's game 7 of the finals.

A kid makes one mistake and he's benched for the rest of the game.

Yet Raymond can't stay on his feet and can't do anything offensively, he's given more ice time and moved up the line up.

What kind of message is that to send to the farm team and young prospects.

If you make one mistake you're going straight back to Chicago, players can't learn that way.

Question: Can he play in the AHL next year?

I thought you had to be 20 by new years if you're coming out of junior.

But ... this article says that the Wolves say he will be eligible: http://www2.canada.c...html?id=6477499

The quote is "According to the Wolves, Jensen is eligible to play in the AHL next season."

What's the deal? I'd love to see him with the Wolves +call ups. Great for development and allows him to make the jump, if ready, with a landing spot if he still needs seasoning.

It is not an accident that Canadian teams never won a Stanley Cup for the past two decades. All Canadian teams keep to the traditional 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line and 1 so-called energy but garbage in real, line to build the team. But this is one of the main reasons why the majority of these teams were among the worst teams in the NHL, including Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary.

American teams have developed a strategy to beat the cap space. They play their top prospects in the NHL early in their career, very often right after being drafted. If that prospect turns out to be an NHLer right away, that would be great for the team. Even if that project fails, they do not have to waste time and move on to plan B and try the next prospect in line.

Then take a look at Vancouver under AV and MG. Top skilled prospects like Hodgson and Grabner were kept away from the NHL for a long period of time while their peers were ready to shine in the NHL. Then these guys were given chances to play on the 3rd or even 4th lines with limited ice time and both were declared defensive liabilities and failures after a handful of games, despite the fact that both were the rare 4th and 3rd liners of Vancouver that did not carry a minus rating under AV. MG did a very poor job by trading away a future unknown in Grabner for a proven failed top prospect project who carried with him a big contract in Ballard who spent most of his time in the press box. MG failed twice when he traded away a rising star Hodgson for an unknown in Kassian when his team desperately needed to score goals in the playoffs. When AV had wrongly accused Hodgson taking injury as an excuse for his poor performance, I think Vancouver is responsible for the sour relationship with Hodgson. The problem is in AV and MG. This deal could have cost the owner multi-million dollars in revenue because of the early exit.

Under the AHL caliber coach AV, all Canucks 4 th liners know is to dump pucks to the corner, hit something, opposition players or end boards and then go for a change or to the penalty box for stupid penalties, like the Bitz major against LA that cost a game. These players do not come cheap if compared with a rookie. But they together have accumulated astronomical MINUSES in the playoffs and regular seasons under AV for his 6 years here. Vancouver deserved to be beaten by the 3 rd and 4 th liners of Chicago twice, Boston and LA. AV and MG never seemed to learn.

All teams that had won the Cup recently had young talents who could play in the playoffs. Crosby and Toews even had become the youngest captains who ever won the Cup. Keeping its young prospects away from the NHL had proven a failure for Vancouver. Vancouver will be going nowhere if they allow AV and MG to fill the 4 th line Again with garbage players who have no future in the NHL. They are just a waste of time, cap space and roster spots. If Vancouver is serious about winning the Cup before the Sedins and Kesler will be on the decline in a year or two, it is time to play their own top young prospects Jensen, Schroeder and Kassian on the 4th or 3rd line next season. If these guys can play, Vancouver will still be a team hard to play against, especially if they can keep Schneider and trade away the shaky Luongo. These kids simply cannot be worse than Raymond and Malhotra.

They should give this lineup a try

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen - I could see Jensen scoring a lot of goals with the twins

Booth-Kesler-Kassian - if we don't get a playmaker, 3 big guys and Kassian should be better after this offseason

Higgins-Schroeder-Burrows- shutdown line that can score

?-Lapierre-Hansen - this would allow the coach to roll 4 lines

The team should have a lot more energy with these young guys in the lineup, something which they lacked badly.

Archived