The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nicklas Jensen Needs To Play Next Year

How are those case in points? Grabner was out of shape and wasn't capable of scoring 30 goals with us at that time - this isn't opinion, it's fact. Grabs has stated this himself. Shirokov was a bust, get over your man crush for him. And Hodgson, 5 years from now when some other highly touted young center comes up through the system and the coach shoves Hodgson (if he was still with us) aside to "accomodate" and "give him more ice time" to this unproven rookie, think about how big a sook and cry and whine you're gonna have because Cody (Kesler/Henrik) was shoved aside to accomodate him.

Who do you think developed Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and many others in the minors? You really need to look past your AV man hate, it's clouding your judgement.

Might be rushing Jensen a bit. I'm all for playing young guys but Jensen is only 19 and barely even played in the AHL. He did look good offensively there but I heard he still needs work defensively. Also, he finished the year with a concussion.

I definitely want to see the guy in camp and preseason to see how he looks but he might have to at least start the year in the AHL.

It is not an accident that Canadian teams never won a Stanley Cup for the past two decades. All Canadian teams keep to the traditional 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line and 1 so-called energy but garbage in real, line to build the team. But this is one of the main reasons why the majority of these teams were among the worst teams in the NHL, including Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary.

American teams have developed a strategy to beat the cap space. They play their top prospects in the NHL early in their career, very often right after being drafted. If that prospect turns out to be an NHLer right away, that would be great for the team. Even if that project fails, they do not have to waste time and move on to plan B and try the next prospect in line.

Then take a look at Vancouver under AV and MG. Top skilled prospects like Hodgson and Grabner were kept away from the NHL for a long period of time while their peers were ready to shine in the NHL. Then these guys were given chances to play on the 3rd or even 4th lines with limited ice time and both were declared defensive liabilities and failures after a handful of games, despite the fact that both were the rare 4th and 3rd liners of Vancouver that did not carry a minus rating under AV. MG did a very poor job by trading away a future unknown in Grabner for a proven failed top prospect project who carried with him a big contract in Ballard who spent most of his time in the press box. MG failed twice when he traded away a rising star Hodgson for an unknown in Kassian when his team desperately needed to score goals in the playoffs. When AV had wrongly accused Hodgson taking injury as an excuse for his poor performance, I think Vancouver is responsible for the sour relationship with Hodgson. The problem is in AV and MG. This deal could have cost the owner multi-million dollars in revenue because of the early exit.

Under the AHL caliber coach AV, all Canucks 4 th liners know is to dump pucks to the corner, hit something, opposition players or end boards and then go for a change or to the penalty box for stupid penalties, like the Bitz major against LA that cost a game. These players do not come cheap if compared with a rookie. But they together have accumulated astronomical MINUSES in the playoffs and regular seasons under AV for his 6 years here. Vancouver deserved to be beaten by the 3 rd and 4 th liners of Chicago twice, Boston and LA. AV and MG never seemed to learn.

All teams that had won the Cup recently had young talents who could play in the playoffs. Crosby and Toews even had become the youngest captains who ever won the Cup. Keeping its young prospects away from the NHL had proven a failure for Vancouver. Vancouver will be going nowhere if they allow AV and MG to fill the 4 th line Again with garbage players who have no future in the NHL. They are just a waste of time, cap space and roster spots. If Vancouver is serious about winning the Cup before the Sedins and Kesler will be on the decline in a year or two, it is time to play their own top young prospects Jensen, Schroeder and Kassian on the 4th or 3rd line next season. If these guys can play, Vancouver will still be a team hard to play against, especially if they can keep Schneider and trade away the shaky Luongo. These kids simply cannot be worse than Raymond and Malhotra.

AV likes hard workers, despite skill level.. That's his deal, not sure if anyone has noticed. Also, Jensen was probably the only player on the Denmark jr. Team that really wanted to win, I mean wanted to win above what someone would consider as normal for an individual who wants to win. No doubt AV likes him, he's a lunch pail player with skill!

Might be rushing Jensen a bit. I'm all for playing young guys but Jensen is only 19 and barely even played in the AHL. He did look good offensively there but I heard he still needs work defensively. Also, he finished the year with a concussion.

I definitely want to see the guy in camp and preseason to see how he looks but he might have to at least start the year in the AHL.

My major criticism of AV is how he seems to believe pluggers like Bitz,Pahlsson,Malholtra,Ryan Johnson,Dale Weise, Rick Rypien, Darcy Hordichuk, Tanner Glass,Etc need to play. I agree with you that I don't think you need to define the 4th line as being veteran NHL'ers who can hit but not score. You do need some strong checkers but you don't need two lines devoid of scoring talent which the Canucks seem to have now. Really after the trade deadline this year the Canucks became a trap team and getting rid of Hodsgon and replacing him with Pahlsson highlighted that.

I would like the Canucks to sign a guy like Chris Kelly who is a UFA and who is a strong checking player but who actually can score a little bit too. Kassian also has to be given a bigger opportunity to sink or swim. It is really hard to say he failed in the playoffs considering he hardly played. Schroeder has to be a given a real shot to make the team as well. I don't know if he can make in the NHL but you'll never know if you don't try. I would give Jensen a real shot to make this team but I don't think you can expect him to be ready yet.

I would like to see a lineup like this next year.

Sedin,Sedin and Burrows

Kesler,,Higgins,Ryan Malone

C.Kelly,LaPierre,Kassian

Schroeder,Hansen,Booth

I would target Ryan Malone for Luongo. I would let Bitz,Pahlsson,Weise.Raymond walk. I would keep Malholtra around as veteran depth and see if he can get his game back a bit (he does have one year left on his contract).

I also would really rotate the 4 lines so the fact Booth and Hansen are on the 4th line shouldn't come with a stigma. They could still play 12 minutes a game and be counted on to produce offensively. It keeps the top guys fresher for the playoffs if they aren't overused.

Good point you bring up for sure, but I truly believe the NHL is changing now. It's not up to that veteran experience anymore. Look at the last few cup winners, all had a young player that changed series at some point:

Pittsburgh: Crosby

Chicago: Toews, Kane

Boston: Seguin

This year could have been Hodgson, but I am not going to go into that topic. Flyers have many prospects this year who have made an impact as well: Couturier, Read, Schenn. The Kings have some too: King, Voynov. We do need some young blood on this team, we are simply too old. Our youngest player who played in the  game 5 vs Kings series was Alex Edler, and he's already 25. Our core is not getting any younger either. It's time for management to realize that our rookies need a chance at the big show, and to prove themselves, nothing better than a shot at the SCP.

Derlago,Ashton,Garth Butcher,Stu Kulak,Michel Petit,David Bruce,Cam Neely,JJ Daigneault,Jim Sandlak,Troy Gamble,Petr Nedved

IIRC: Bruce,Gamble and Kulak had short careers,but the others did play in the show for multiple years.

Not sure if this supports the" they were rushed" argument or the "throw them in there quick" side.

Archived