The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cbc’S Scott Oake Shares Story Of His Son’S Fatal Addiction

As someone who's currently in recovery, I can tell you first hand, just getting yourself to a rehab facility isn't nearly enough. This is a lifetime struggle. I've been to detox 3 times and a rehabilitation facility twice and I still relapsed afterwards.

I put my family through HELL! They tried everything they could to help me get better, but in the end, it was all up to me and what I was willing to do to overcome this brutal disease. It's a sickness of the mind. I had the same attitude as SO many people once they get clean. "I've got this under control now. I can use drugs like a normal person....etc" and I actually believed that. That's the power of addiction.

And it's true. Addiction knows know social or economic boundaries. When in rehab, I met all different kinds of people. Some of them became my best friends, we watch out for each other, encourage each other, and remind each other where we came from and how far we've come.

My 3rd day of a 28 day stint in rehab, we got news that a young woman who just checked out the day before, was found dead in a hotel room in the down town east side of an OD. She probably had the same attitude so many had, that she could use just one last time. Well, she was right in a way. Unfortunately, it was her last time. I think of her all the time. She was really a sweetheart and even though I only knew her a couple of days, I'll never forget her and what she gave up to give the rest of us a constant reminder of what could happen.

And yet, when I got out if rehab, I used. That's the power of drugs and addiction.

I know exactly what the Oake family went through/is still going through. I put my family through the same ordeal. I'm just lucky I didn't suffer the same fate as their son.

Do I still think about using, hell ya. But I know I can't and I don't entertain the thought for very long. But it's taken a long time to get to this place.

Keep going strong my friend, know that you have in love from your family, everything you need for happiness. Drugs will never bring that to you and know that your strength and resolution will be an inspiration to others to take the hard road to being drug free.

Archived