The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coach Av Staying Silent

It owes the season ticket holders something.

If they want to send me a letter letting me know V is gone and not even bother with a news conference until the new guy is hired I am cool with that.

So making it to the finals last year means he was out witted by every coach? Let me guess, he won because his team won and not because of him as a coach. I get it, you don't like him. But don't take away what he has done for this franchise. From your point of view when they won, the goalies won it for him when the team played bad. When the goalie played bad the team played good is why he won? So essentially he did nothing but ride on luck and the system he developed did nothing for them? The goalies won on their own and not because he had the defense play a certain system around the goalie? He became the winningest coach in the history of the franchise because he lucked out?

If that's the case, Thomas won the cup last year for Julien and Lundqvist, Elliot/Halak tandem got Torts and Hitchcock nominated this year with their out standing goalie performance. Coaching has nothing to do with it apparently.

If the mourning period is over, I will now throw off the black and take up a fight to ensure we don't suffer playoff debacles again: to whit: AV must go.

AV doesn't like goals, or goal scorers, he publicly stated that any more than the one goal it takes to win a game, the rest are a waste, he is a decent coach who can get the best out of AHL'ers, that is true, but aside from his patented "juggle till the pieces fall together, then claim responsibility for fate" coaching style he is merely riding a team that is bursting with talent due to the owner allowing maximum spending and beyond, and the staff, including the GM stocking the cupboards almost continuously since Y2K. We have a 'winning team' here in Vancouver and have had one for the last dozen years, but we need a championship team, and while I have said it every year of the past five or six, it remains true: AV will never win a Stanley Cup in Vancouver: for as long as he wants star scorers to not do their jobs, and as much as he wants pluggers to do more than they are capable of, and as long as he has no problem fomenting player ire, and tossing them under busses, the players themselves will rebuke him and fail to break through almost on a subliminal basis...the only way to get rid of a bad boss is to undermine him, because if the team succeeds with a bad boss, that bad boss will remain in place. I suspect this has something to do with what happened.

Anyways, its my opinion, I will tell it in AV threads: AV must leave. I have seen instances where he flat out did the opposite of what the GM wanted...and it cost the owner money.

In the end, the coach lost the first round of the playoffs with his star goalie on the bench, no matter what your opinion of Luongo, when the coach loses in the first round with a healthy starter on the bench then he made the wrong choice. Did Philly go with Bobrovsky? No...they are still in the playoffs with their starter in net, despite some shakiness.

Wow! That was a ridiculous rant, even for a dyed-in-the-wool AV hater like you, OP.

Doesn't like goals? 5th in goals per game this year. 1st last year.

"Wants star scorers not to do their jobs"... Where do you get that from? Daniel, Kes, Burrows. All got plenty of PP time. Do we have other "star scorers"?

Which "pluggers" are being asked to do "more than they're capable of"? (BTW: You might want to take a peek at what Washington is doing with their "pluggers" right now)

You've stated for 5 or 6 years that the Canucks will never win a Cup with AV? Wow. A one in 30 chance that you'll be wrong. You're really sticking your neck out on that one.

And "losing with your star goalie on the bench"? That's the best example in the whole sorry post of grasping at straws. What an idiot AV was for playing a guy with the best GAA and the best save percentage of all playoff goaltenders...

BTW: Philly tried going with Bob. His numbers were identical to Breezy's during the one blowout loss to the Pens.

If the mourning period is over, I will now throw off the black and take up a fight to ensure we don't suffer playoff debacles again: to whit: AV must go.

AV doesn't like goals, or goal scorers, he publicly stated that any more than the one goal it takes to win a game, the rest are a waste, he is a decent coach who can get the best out of AHL'ers, that is true, but aside from his patented "juggle till the pieces fall together, then claim responsibility for fate" coaching style he is merely riding a team that is bursting with talent due to the owner allowing maximum spending and beyond, and the staff, including the GM stocking the cupboards almost continuously since Y2K. We have a 'winning team' here in Vancouver and have had one for the last dozen years, but we need a championship team, and while I have said it every year of the past five or six, it remains true: AV will never win a Stanley Cup in Vancouver: for as long as he wants star scorers to not do their jobs, and as much as he wants pluggers to do more than they are capable of, and as long as he has no problem fomenting player ire, and tossing them under busses, the players themselves will rebuke him and fail to break through almost on a subliminal basis...the only way to get rid of a bad boss is to undermine him, because if the team succeeds with a bad boss, that bad boss will remain in place. I suspect this has something to do with what happened.

Anyways, its my opinion, I will tell it in AV threads: AV must leave. I have seen instances where he flat out did the opposite of what the GM wanted...and it cost the owner money.

In the end, the coach lost the first round of the playoffs with his star goalie on the bench, no matter what your opinion of Luongo, when the coach loses in the first round with a healthy starter on the bench then he made the wrong choice. Did Philly go with Bobrovsky? No...they are still in the playoffs with their starter in net, despite some shakiness.

Well, there is actually more than one team in the NHL. Some of us are hockey fans while some are only home team fans...

Even though the Canucks are out, these playoffs look like they could still be interesting, to me at least, with a lot of teams that go deep in the playoffs normally being gone. I mean look at the west, Phx, Nash, St.Louis, and LA ? One of those teams is going to the final. Not your typical playoff year.

In the entire time here, when AV's star goaltenders only played average, we'd start losing and it was the goalies fault, but when they played awesome, AV was a coaching genius? If AV had got the team to win when the goalies were just mediocre, i'd say, wow, he coached the team well into compensating for the goalies play, but that wasn't the case. AV is a decent coach that lucked into a great situation here, and has been the only coach to have that advantage in Vancouver. He got outwitted by pretty much every coach he went up against when countering one another's strategy was needed. I'll take my chances with a new coach.

Wow! That was a ridiculous rant, even for a dyed-in-the-wool AV hater like you, OP.

Doesn't like goals? 5th in goals per game this year. 1st last year.

"Wants star scorers not to do their jobs"... Where do you get that from? Daniel, Kes, Burrows. All got plenty of PP time. Do we have other "star scorers"?

Which "pluggers" are being asked to do "more than they're capable of"? (BTW: You might want to take a peek at what Washington is doing with their "pluggers" right now)

You've stated for 5 or 6 years that the Canucks will never win a Cup with AV? Wow. A one in 30 chance that you'll be wrong. You're really sticking your neck out on that one.

And "losing with your star goalie on the bench"? That's the best example in the whole sorry post of grasping at straws. What an idiot AV was for playing a guy with the best GAA and the best save percentage of all playoff goaltenders...

BTW: Philly tried going with Bob. His numbers were identical to Breezy's during the one blowout loss to the Pens.

I agree ,, AV has a terrific regular season record but the way his teams have come out in playoff games is disturbing.

I'm talking almost blowing the 3 game head start Chicago gave them last spring, to the no show performance of the team in games 6 + 7 of the SCF, to the almost getting swept this year.

I mean where was all that coaching ability when it counted most? If AV played the way he coaches, he'd have been a perimeter player.

I don't think AV could coach a team to the cup any more than I believe Mason Raymond will get 50 goals.

If AV comes back you will see a new coffee coming to Vancouver coffee shops.

It's called Canuck's Coffee, it comes without a cup.

Archived