The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coach Av Staying Silent

Because a coaching change means you just start losing? A coach of the year nominee this year would be happy to talk to you.

The problem I see if that some people equate all the team's success to AV. While he's been gifted with the deepest team ever in the city, do people really think that other coaches couldn't have success when handed 2 art ross trophy winners, a selke winner, a deep defensive core, and 2 of the top goaltenders in the league? Nobody else could have success with that kind of roster? seriously?

I for one am glad AV is staying silent. Because it would royally piss me off to hear him blame everyone but himself again.

Here's how it would probably go down:

Media would probably ask him about the playoff exit. To which he'd probably say the Canucks played well but the NHL changed the rules. NHL's fault.

They would ask about Daniel's impact. He'd go on to say how we didn't have the top scorer in the line-up .... blah, blah, blah..... Refs fault for not discipling enough.

Then the media would ask him about the goalie situation. To which he'd probably answer - I talked to Lui and he said he wants what's best for the team. Classic deflection.

Then the media would ask him about the Hodgson trade. And i don't even want to image what he'd say in response to that. But it would most likely be along the lines of...... blame Hodgson.

Just once I'd like him to admit that some of the blame falls on him.

Something like:

We sucked since January. And I didn't do squat because I thought the players would work through it. It's the coaches job to figure these things out. I failed. Don't take it out on the players.

But he wouldn't. So I'm glad he's staying silent.

I'm only a Vancouver fan, so yeah, hockey's over for me. :lol:

But, since when was there meaningful discussion here during the season? Are you on a different forum? <_<

I thought AV was on hols; maybe the reporters in Mexico or Hawaii or wherever aren't pestering him.

On hockey central yesturday they talked about how AV still has not broke his silence and that there might be something going on there. Every coach after the season ends is supose to meet the media and talk about the year they had. WHen MG did his year end presser, AV was not there and they said he will be available later on in the week. It is very unusual for a coach to stay silent like this. Maybe he just dosent wana answer questions about Luongo? Anyone know whats going on here?

It works both ways there buddy. Without AV would the players have turned into the players they became? From my view on this forum, the majority of people say we win in spite of AV so I'm not sure where you see that people equate all the team's success to AV. It's more the opposite on here where if we lose, it's his fault, if we win it's the team. If a player does good it's in spite of him but if a player does bad it's his fault for not developing. Even the year where we had Bulis on the second line, everyone says he won the Jack Adams because of Loungo. Vancouver has actually been the most critical of him despite his great record.

The success of players were helped by the coach, they did not learn everything on their own and play their own system. However, we may see a better team with him gone but that does not discount everything he did for the players here and the organization. It's all speculation but currently I recognize how great of a coach he was here but I believe it's time we move on to change up our system and strategies.

In the entire time here, when AV's star goaltenders only played average, we'd start losing and it was the goalies fault, but when they played awesome, AV was a coaching genius? If AV had got the team to win when the goalies were just mediocre, i'd say, wow, he coached the team well into compensating for the goalies play, but that wasn't the case. AV is a decent coach that lucked into a great situation here, and has been the only coach to have that advantage in Vancouver. He got outwitted by pretty much every coach he went up against when countering one another's strategy was needed. I'll take my chances with a new coach.

It's been stated in the media that Gillis has yet to meet with management and won't until next week. Gillis will not meet with AV until after that. Afterall, he may determine following a season review, or be instructed by ownership, to fire the coach/coaching staff.

The Canucks took a lot of heat when Nonis met with the press at the end of the seaosn, then was fired after.

I think what they are doing is appropriate, and not a conspiracy of any kind.

AV was spotted at the airport within the last week, so is probably taking some down time away from Canuck fans until he gets the call from Gillis.

So making it to the finals last year means he was out witted by every coach? Let me guess, he won because his team won and not because of him as a coach. I get it, you don't like him. But don't take away what he has done for this franchise. From your point of view when they won, the goalies won it for him when the team played bad. When the goalie played bad the team played good is why he won? So essentially he did nothing but ride on luck and the system he developed did nothing for them? The goalies won on their own and not because he had the defense play a certain system around the goalie? He became the winningest coach in the history of the franchise because he lucked out?

If that's the case, Thomas won the cup last year for Julien and Lundqvist, Elliot/Halak tandem got Torts and Hitchcock nominated this year with their out standing goalie performance. Coaching has nothing to do with it apparently.

BEFORE the trade deadline was when we were winning AND played an exciting brand of hockey. AFTER the trade deadline, we were not winning as much, and played a disgustingly boring brand of hockey. MG made up his mind that we should play a trap style of hockey, for which ever reason, and it failed miserably. Our depth and talent was what got us so far last year, and this year, it was all gone: Torres, Ehrhoff, Hodgson. We brought in Pahlsson and Kassian, who were nothing short of useless in the post season. This should be blamed partly on AV too, who didn't even use Pahlsson as a shut down center, which is what he is, and did not give Kassian any valuable ice time. Daniel Sedin was injured too, eating more into our depth. Kesler dissapeared too. Booth was never a game changer either.

BEFORE the trade deadline was when we were winning AND played an exciting brand of hockey. AFTER the trade deadline, we were not winning as much, and played a disgustingly boring brand of hockey. MG made up his mind that we should play a trap style of hockey, for which ever reason, and it failed miserably. Our depth and talent was what got us so far last year, and this year, it was all gone: Torres, Ehrhoff, Hodgson. We brought in Pahlsson and Kassian, who were nothing short of useless in the post season. This should be blamed partly on AV too, who didn't even use Pahlsson as a shut down center, which is what he is, and did not give Kassian any valuable ice time. Daniel Sedin was injured too, eating more into our depth. Kesler dissapeared too. Booth was never a game changer either.

AV runs a better trap defense system than MacT, IMO. MacT might be a better motivator, but who knows. Every team is different and the players will react differently to each coach. Surely some will love MacT and some will miss AV. I just don't think it is an upgrade in any way. Never make a change just for the sake of change and especially never do it in reaction to a disappointing loss. Don't forget MacT has Oilers tatoo'ed on his arse and they are our rivals.

Archived