Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Coach Av Staying Silent

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#61 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

In the entire time here, when AV's star goaltenders only played average, we'd start losing and it was the goalies fault, but when they played awesome, AV was a coaching genius? If AV had got the team to win when the goalies were just mediocre, i'd say, wow, he coached the team well into compensating for the goalies play, but that wasn't the case. AV is a decent coach that lucked into a great situation here, and has been the only coach to have that advantage in Vancouver. He got outwitted by pretty much every coach he went up against when countering one another's strategy was needed. I'll take my chances with a new coach.

Exactly! I believe he ruined Luongo much as a parent does with a spoiled child. By doing that and giving him the C he put too much pressure on the poor guy. Oh, did I say poor. Oops!

#62 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,526 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

It owes the season ticket holders something.

If they want to send me a letter letting me know V is gone and not even bother with a news conference until the new guy is hired I am cool with that.

They owe you nothing more than 41 games of entertainment. Season tickets doesn't make you a decision maker any further than renewing your tickets.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#63 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

So making it to the finals last year means he was out witted by every coach? Let me guess, he won because his team won and not because of him as a coach. I get it, you don't like him. But don't take away what he has done for this franchise. From your point of view when they won, the goalies won it for him when the team played bad. When the goalie played bad the team played good is why he won? So essentially he did nothing but ride on luck and the system he developed did nothing for them? The goalies won on their own and not because he had the defense play a certain system around the goalie? He became the winningest coach in the history of the franchise because he lucked out?

If that's the case, Thomas won the cup last year for Julien and Lundqvist, Elliot/Halak tandem got Torts and Hitchcock nominated this year with their out standing goalie performance. Coaching has nothing to do with it apparently.

It seems like the inmates are running the asylum. :lol:

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#64 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,856 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

I make a wish every night that AV gets sent packing. I want his press conference to be about that.

Good to know I am not the only one, thanks Jester.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#65 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,856 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

If the mourning period is over, I will now throw off the black and take up a fight to ensure we don't suffer playoff debacles again: to whit: AV must go.

AV doesn't like goals, or goal scorers, he publicly stated that any more than the one goal it takes to win a game, the rest are a waste, he is a decent coach who can get the best out of AHL'ers, that is true, but aside from his patented "juggle till the pieces fall together, then claim responsibility for fate" coaching style he is merely riding a team that is bursting with talent due to the owner allowing maximum spending and beyond, and the staff, including the GM stocking the cupboards almost continuously since Y2K. We have a 'winning team' here in Vancouver and have had one for the last dozen years, but we need a championship team, and while I have said it every year of the past five or six, it remains true: AV will never win a Stanley Cup in Vancouver: for as long as he wants star scorers to not do their jobs, and as much as he wants pluggers to do more than they are capable of, and as long as he has no problem fomenting player ire, and tossing them under busses, the players themselves will rebuke him and fail to break through almost on a subliminal basis...the only way to get rid of a bad boss is to undermine him, because if the team succeeds with a bad boss, that bad boss will remain in place. I suspect this has something to do with what happened.

Anyways, its my opinion, I will tell it in AV threads: AV must leave. I have seen instances where he flat out did the opposite of what the GM wanted...and it cost the owner money.

In the end, the coach lost the first round of the playoffs with his star goalie on the bench, no matter what your opinion of Luongo, when the coach loses in the first round with a healthy starter on the bench then he made the wrong choice. Did Philly go with Bobrovsky? No...they are still in the playoffs with their starter in net, despite some shakiness.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#66 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,156 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Wow! That was a ridiculous rant, even for a dyed-in-the-wool AV hater like you, OP.

Doesn't like goals? 5th in goals per game this year. 1st last year.

"Wants star scorers not to do their jobs"... Where do you get that from? Daniel, Kes, Burrows. All got plenty of PP time. Do we have other "star scorers"?

Which "pluggers" are being asked to do "more than they're capable of"? (BTW: You might want to take a peek at what Washington is doing with their "pluggers" right now)

You've stated for 5 or 6 years that the Canucks will never win a Cup with AV? Wow. A one in 30 chance that you'll be wrong. You're really sticking your neck out on that one.

And "losing with your star goalie on the bench"? That's the best example in the whole sorry post of grasping at straws. What an idiot AV was for playing a guy with the best GAA and the best save percentage of all playoff goaltenders...

BTW: Philly tried going with Bob. His numbers were identical to Breezy's during the one blowout loss to the Pens.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#67 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

If the mourning period is over, I will now throw off the black and take up a fight to ensure we don't suffer playoff debacles again: to whit: AV must go.

AV doesn't like goals, or goal scorers, he publicly stated that any more than the one goal it takes to win a game, the rest are a waste, he is a decent coach who can get the best out of AHL'ers, that is true, but aside from his patented "juggle till the pieces fall together, then claim responsibility for fate" coaching style he is merely riding a team that is bursting with talent due to the owner allowing maximum spending and beyond, and the staff, including the GM stocking the cupboards almost continuously since Y2K. We have a 'winning team' here in Vancouver and have had one for the last dozen years, but we need a championship team, and while I have said it every year of the past five or six, it remains true: AV will never win a Stanley Cup in Vancouver: for as long as he wants star scorers to not do their jobs, and as much as he wants pluggers to do more than they are capable of, and as long as he has no problem fomenting player ire, and tossing them under busses, the players themselves will rebuke him and fail to break through almost on a subliminal basis...the only way to get rid of a bad boss is to undermine him, because if the team succeeds with a bad boss, that bad boss will remain in place. I suspect this has something to do with what happened.

Anyways, its my opinion, I will tell it in AV threads: AV must leave. I have seen instances where he flat out did the opposite of what the GM wanted...and it cost the owner money.

In the end, the coach lost the first round of the playoffs with his star goalie on the bench, no matter what your opinion of Luongo, when the coach loses in the first round with a healthy starter on the bench then he made the wrong choice. Did Philly go with Bobrovsky? No...they are still in the playoffs with their starter in net, despite some shakiness.

Well said PO .. I am sure the Aquilini's are of the same mind .. maybe we can trade AV to Montreal for Moen .. or for Cunneyworth as an assistant under our new coach, Brent Sutter .. :towel:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#68 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

I make a wish every night that AV gets sent packing. I want his press conference to be about that.

And that's why you don't have a clue!
Posted Image

#69 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, somethings fishy ?

756ac80c-8542-42cd-b771-2d57edda5a59.jpg

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#70 trapezoid

trapezoid

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Well, there is actually more than one team in the NHL. Some of us are hockey fans while some are only home team fans...
Even though the Canucks are out, these playoffs look like they could still be interesting, to me at least, with a lot of teams that go deep in the playoffs normally being gone. I mean look at the west, Phx, Nash, St.Louis, and LA ? One of those teams is going to the final. Not your typical playoff year.

It's hard to get excited. Unless you are a bandwagoner at heart.

#71 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

And that's why you don't have a clue!

It's like having my own little slow witted stalker on cdc!

From your eloquent post it seems that you feel AV did a great job and that being humiliated by the Kings was good. Was it how awesome he looked chewing gum and staring while his assistants did for him, what every other head coach in the league do for themselves, instructing the team of a specific game plan on a time out, that you thought was great? Or was it his sheer brilliance in using Raymond on the top line, then using Booth who'd barely ever played with Henrik as his winning solution? What part of his coaching ability really stood out?

Try to respond about hockey maybe...

#72 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

It's hard to get excited. Unless you are a bandwagoner at heart.

Not really making sense...

People who are fans of the sport, who love hockey and enjoy watching games that aren't just your local favorite team playing, aren't bandwagoners. Ones who just start getting excited about the team they think is gonna win, well thats different. I am enjoying seeing the way the playoffs are playing out. it would be better if the Canucks were in it, but that doesn't mean there still isn't some great hockey to witness.

#73 ramone1984

ramone1984

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

If they want to send me a letter letting me know V is gone and not even bother with a news conference until the new guy is hired I am cool with that.

No, as a matter of fact, it doesn't owe you squat. Unless I missed the part of the seasons ticket holder contract that gives you some sort of guarantee? If you don't like the product on the ice, give up your tickets...there's a wait list for those you know, and I for one would be happy to take em off your hands.
Thanks for the sig Tv9924!
Posted Image

#74 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Jullian hasn't said anything yet. Maybe Montreal is calling him first.

#75 tan

tan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

In the entire time here, when AV's star goaltenders only played average, we'd start losing and it was the goalies fault, but when they played awesome, AV was a coaching genius? If AV had got the team to win when the goalies were just mediocre, i'd say, wow, he coached the team well into compensating for the goalies play, but that wasn't the case. AV is a decent coach that lucked into a great situation here, and has been the only coach to have that advantage in Vancouver. He got outwitted by pretty much every coach he went up against when countering one another's strategy was needed. I'll take my chances with a new coach.

He got outcoached repeatedly in every year's playoff.... nough said..

tumblr_m0nxk38n5q1qdlh1io1_400.gif

#76 CANUCKLELION

CANUCKLELION

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

I agree ,, AV has a terrific regular season record but the way his teams have come out in playoff games is disturbing.

I'm talking almost blowing the 3 game head start Chicago gave them last spring, to the no show performance of the team in games 6 + 7 of the SCF, to the almost getting swept this year.
I mean where was all that coaching ability when it counted most? If AV played the way he coaches, he'd have been a perimeter player.
I don't think AV could coach a team to the cup any more than I believe Mason Raymond will get 50 goals.

If AV comes back you will see a new coffee coming to Vancouver coffee shops.
It's called Canuck's Coffee, it comes without a cup.
R.I.P, Rick Rypien Posted ImagePosted Image

#77 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,856 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Wow! That was a ridiculous rant, even for a dyed-in-the-wool AV hater like you, OP.

Doesn't like goals? 5th in goals per game this year. 1st last year.

"Wants star scorers not to do their jobs"... Where do you get that from? Daniel, Kes, Burrows. All got plenty of PP time. Do we have other "star scorers"?

Which "pluggers" are being asked to do "more than they're capable of"? (BTW: You might want to take a peek at what Washington is doing with their "pluggers" right now)

You've stated for 5 or 6 years that the Canucks will never win a Cup with AV? Wow. A one in 30 chance that you'll be wrong. You're really sticking your neck out on that one.

And "losing with your star goalie on the bench"? That's the best example in the whole sorry post of grasping at straws. What an idiot AV was for playing a guy with the best GAA and the best save percentage of all playoff goaltenders...

BTW: Philly tried going with Bob. His numbers were identical to Breezy's during the one blowout loss to the Pens.

I plus one'd your post. We remain in disagreement on the value of what Alain Vigneault brings to the team, that is clear. Otherwise though, I really find your posts top notch, even this one. I wouldn't say I am clutching at straws....I just see the situation from a different perspective, in that I am convinced that AV is a net detractor from the teams success, as opposed to a net addition to it.
For instance: I have never heard anyone ever suggest that the team did something and won because of the coach...not since AV got here. I have however heard a lot of things about how the team has lost in critical contests due to the coach. One would think that would be the opposite if AV had any bearing on the Canucks winning ways, and they are a successful team, but have been since 2001, generally.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#78 Duda

Duda

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

I agree ,, AV has a terrific regular season record but the way his teams have come out in playoff games is disturbing.

I'm talking almost blowing the 3 game head start Chicago gave them last spring, to the no show performance of the team in games 6 + 7 of the SCF, to the almost getting swept this year.
I mean where was all that coaching ability when it counted most? If AV played the way he coaches, he'd have been a perimeter player.
I don't think AV could coach a team to the cup any more than I believe Mason Raymond will get 50 goals.

If AV comes back you will see a new coffee coming to Vancouver coffee shops.
It's called Canuck's Coffee, it comes without a cup.

Not to mention that his ability to respond dynamically and adjust during the course of a game is limited to rolling three dice and seeing what his lines should be.

He had to lose first round to Chicago a few years ago, outcoached by Quennville, trapping a 1 goal lead for an entire period, refusing to match lines cause that's not what he does. This happens every year, and his playoff decisions are mind-boggling sometime. Consistently calling out players in the media gets worn out, especially if you've acknowledged you dont try to build relationships with these players in the room cause youre the coach, not their friend.

He's a great regular season coach and could help Canucks win many more div and conf titles based on player personnel alone. But, he's too stubborn and bull-headed to take responsibility for a poor decision and rectify it asap. He's too entrenched in his own style that he can't realize the game is changing with technology and younger players have different attitudes or mannerisms.

Take Hitchcock, he looked at his group of players, discovered through speaking and interaction that he gets a better response if he contacts them by text rather than phone. That's just how kids are now. So he changed, and look at what kind of response he's gotten (LA series notwithstanding)

I'll live with whatever happens, but it seems that the time for change is now. Especially if Luongo doesn't stay.

#79 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

Would AV actually have anything to say to Canuck fans that would satisfy them?

Im proud to be the new head coach of the Montreal Canadiens?

#80 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,537 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

You are a masochist

Coaching change at this point can only make things worst.

Not only are we winning, we are doing it while playing a brand of hockey that is beautiful to watch.

Its especially beautiful to watch when we are unmotivated, we choke and get eliminated isn't it?

I agree with the other guy, a change is needed.

zackass.png

#81 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

They will tell us whether its owed to us or not, just not right at this very moment.

Im hoping very much a change is in the works... I cant imagine how they could keep AV on at this point, he did a very poor job.

Might have been trying to get fired for all I could tell.

#82 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

Av isn't a bad coach, and he isn't a great coach.

He plays an emotionless style of hockey that doesn't suit: Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Hamhuis, Edler, Ballard, Kassian, Hansen, Pahllson, Lapierre, Bitz, And to some extent this last series at last the Sedins.

With Luongo leaving it is time to bring in a new voice behind the bench.

Craig Mactavish has won 3 cups as a player and played in dozens and dozens of playoff games. He is the epitome of the coach a team named the Vancouver Canucks need.

Aqualinini's are telling Gillis if he doesn't take Mactavish he's gone too.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#83 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

Mac T would probably say to you exactly what was reported to have been said by AV when first approached by MG upon his hiring; "I'm not a defensive coach, I coach the parts I am given!" Mac T did not have our offensive talent in Edmonton.

But he did burn a lot of players & leave the team a mess, as much as he crafted winning teams.

If Av doesnt come back get ready for the Mac T science project. This team will be run into the ground with agonizingly terrible offense and the best trap system money can buy. If mac T is coach I will do what I did in the Cloutier years and be much less involved in my beloved Canucks season.

I do believe AV convinced MG to return to his defensive brand of hockey. And he was obviously involved in the Hodgson trade, assuming reports he endorsed the Gragnani (his former junior player) portion are true. The conversation probably went something like "we keep getting hammered on physical match up's we cannot handle." We should have gone with addition by rental, not by subtraction (CoHo etc...).

BEFORE the trade deadline was when we were winning AND played an exciting brand of hockey. AFTER the trade deadline, we were not winning as much, and played a disgustingly boring brand of hockey. MG made up his mind that we should play a trap style of hockey, for which ever reason, and it failed miserably. Our depth and talent was what got us so far last year, and this year, it was all gone: Torres, Ehrhoff, Hodgson. We brought in Pahlsson and Kassian, who were nothing short of useless in the post season. This should be blamed partly on AV too, who didn't even use Pahlsson as a shut down center, which is what he is, and did not give Kassian any valuable ice time. Daniel Sedin was injured too, eating more into our depth. Kesler dissapeared too. Booth was never a game changer either.

That's a silly question; of course AV and all key figures should address the media! Hockey is a sport you are trying to sell to the public & generate support. Its like when MG did not address the media or have a press conference when he traded Hodgson. Then threads like this pop up, speculation goes rampant & voila > you have perception problems!

Would AV actually have anything to say to Canuck fans that would satisfy them? Does this team owe the media anything? does this team owe anybody anything?

One thing AV does not generally do is blame people in his press conferences. He's made a few blunders, Hodgson when he was first injured for example, and has learned not to feed the media much of substance.

As for the players not playing well since January, I see it more as since the trade deadline. I believe they felt let down by what we brought in. It certainly look like we added anything to help us make a run. No Grossman, Gill, Kubina, Gaustad... No big physical bodies to help go to war; sorry, untested rookies don't inspire anyone!

I for one am glad AV is staying silent. Because it would royally piss me off to hear him blame everyone but himself again.

Here's how it would probably go down:

Media would probably ask him about the playoff exit. To which he'd probably say the Canucks played well but the NHL changed the rules. NHL's fault.

They would ask about Daniel's impact. He'd go on to say how we didn't have the top scorer in the line-up .... blah, blah, blah..... Refs fault for not discipling enough.

Then the media would ask him about the goalie situation. To which he'd probably answer - I talked to Lui and he said he wants what's best for the team. Classic deflection.

Then the media would ask him about the Hodgson trade. And i don't even want to image what he'd say in response to that. But it would most likely be along the lines of...... blame Hodgson.

Just once I'd like him to admit that some of the blame falls on him.

Something like:

We sucked since January. And I didn't do squat because I thought the players would work through it. It's the coaches job to figure these things out. I failed. Don't take it out on the players.

But he wouldn't. So I'm glad he's staying silent.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.