The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could The Whole Luongo Trade-List-Media-Explosion Be A Brilliant Ploy By Gillis?

Joejoeyjoel

Now, if this is a ploy, I hope I'm not blowing the lid off of a brilliant plan, but, just think about it:

Gillis knows he's probably going to have to lose one of his great goalies. Let's just say all parties (Luongo, Schneider, Canucks) are open minded to the fact that they can't all stay together, but, respect one another enough to get the most for each of them individually, if they can all act out a brilliant plot.

Gillis and Vigneault knew the possibility of them being knocked out was quite high, being down 3-0 in the series with L.A. and they chose to go with Schneider until they were quite inevitably eliminated from the playoffs.. With a great knowledge of how media and fans react, they knew everyone would believe that their decision was to go with Schneider for the future and would be trading Luongo in the offseason.

Somehow, after the Canucks were knocked out of the playoffs, there was a "leak" and another media explosion took place about Luongo giving a trade list of teams he'd play for. Meanwhile, Schneider is sitting in the shadows with his value rising through the roof with the news that he'd be the number one goalie for a fairly unchanged team about to get a lot more cap space.

Just by making a goalie choice after the Canucks were all but eliminated and news being "leaked" about Luongo's trade list, the Canucks have given themselves so many options, Luongo a possible chance to go back close to home while increasing the possibility of a huge overpayment for Schneider or an offer sheet that would give us some amazing draft picks.

They're either brilliant, or I'm just way too bored.

When you truly think about it I wouldn't be surprised. This organization is very tight lipped on trades or proposals for trades, booth trade hodgson trade pahlsson higgy lappy etc.... all of these were broken when they actually went thru, so we know that the organization has no one leaking information/rumours to the press. If you think about it from that perspective, why was it leaked to the media about the list, what advantage would that give gillis. well Gillis doesn't ask players to waive NTC so that could be one, another create a bidding war but it could also backfire and lower trade value of luongo. another possibility which is much more plausible, is that Luongo's camp leaked the information. At the end of the day we can speculate, but only "they" know the truth and we aint finding out anytime soon.

“I spent more time on Cody's issues than every other player combined on our team in the last three years,” said Gillis. “We made a determination that he didn't want to be here. We built him into something we could move.”

GM could do the same thing to cory too, thats why they chose to go with Schneider when being down 3-0

we will see Schneider got trade this summer

Luongo is not coming back to Vancouver...no matter what....

After 2 years of all the fanbase wanting him out of Vancouver..plus all the media, all the criticism all over..I can honestly say Vancouver fans have no idea who this man is.

He is a proud individual...and he will not put up with this another year..he wants out of Vancouver..no matter what....he wont put his wife and children thru this another year.

HIs condo was put for sale and he has packed his bags permanently.

So start thinking about signing Schneider long term...cause otherwise you will end up with no goalies.

After 2 years of all the fanbase wanting him out of Vancouver..plus all the media, all the criticism all over..I can honestly say Vancouver fans have no idea who this man is.

He is a proud individual...and he will not put up with this another year..he wants out of Vancouver..no matter what....he wont put his wife and children thru this another year.

So start thinking about signing Schneider long term...cause otherwise you will end up with no goalies.

Archived