The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could The Whole Luongo Trade-List-Media-Explosion Be A Brilliant Ploy By Gillis?

Joejoeyjoel

Now, if this is a ploy, I hope I'm not blowing the lid off of a brilliant plan, but, just think about it:

Gillis knows he's probably going to have to lose one of his great goalies. Let's just say all parties (Luongo, Schneider, Canucks) are open minded to the fact that they can't all stay together, but, respect one another enough to get the most for each of them individually, if they can all act out a brilliant plot.

Gillis and Vigneault knew the possibility of them being knocked out was quite high, being down 3-0 in the series with L.A. and they chose to go with Schneider until they were quite inevitably eliminated from the playoffs.. With a great knowledge of how media and fans react, they knew everyone would believe that their decision was to go with Schneider for the future and would be trading Luongo in the offseason.

Somehow, after the Canucks were knocked out of the playoffs, there was a "leak" and another media explosion took place about Luongo giving a trade list of teams he'd play for. Meanwhile, Schneider is sitting in the shadows with his value rising through the roof with the news that he'd be the number one goalie for a fairly unchanged team about to get a lot more cap space.

Just by making a goalie choice after the Canucks were all but eliminated and news being "leaked" about Luongo's trade list, the Canucks have given themselves so many options, Luongo a possible chance to go back close to home while increasing the possibility of a huge overpayment for Schneider or an offer sheet that would give us some amazing draft picks.

They're either brilliant, or I'm just way too bored.

Now, if this is a ploy, I hope I'm not blowing the lid off of a brilliant plan, but, just think about it:

Gillis knows he's probably going to have to lose one of his great goalies. Let's just say all parties (Luongo, Schneider, Canucks) are open minded to the fact that they can't all stay together, but, respect one another enough to get the most for each of them individually, if they can all act out a brilliant plot.

Gillis and Vigneault knew the possibility of them being knocked out was quite high, being down 3-0 in the series with L.A. and they chose to go with Schneider until they were quite inevitably eliminated from the playoffs.. With a great knowledge of how media and fans react, they knew everyone would believe that their decision was to go with Schneider for the future and would be trading Luongo in the offseason.

Somehow, after the Canucks were knocked out of the playoffs, there was a "leak" and another media explosion took place about Luongo giving a trade list of teams he'd play for. Meanwhile, Schneider is sitting in the shadows with his value rising through the roof with the news that he'd be the number one goalie for a fairly unchanged team about to get a lot more cap space.

Just by making a goalie choice after the Canucks were all but eliminated and news being "leaked" about Luongo's trade list, the Canucks have given themselves so many options, Luongo a possible chance to go back close to home while increasing the possibility of a huge overpayment for Schneider or an offer sheet that would give us some amazing draft picks.

The 'leaked list' was merely an invention of a bored hockey reporter.

We all know there is no list. But we want to speculate on every potential trade under the sun. Because we're stupid, stupid Canadian hockey fans. Cheers.

TOML

Archived