The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

PlayStation

Unless you use a knife and get right up near the animal to give a fair fight, all modern day hunting is cowardice. But that is humankind in general for you.

If we didn't start eating meat as soon as we did nearly a million years ago, we would never have evolved. That's what saved us.

Our brains increased in size over millenia due to the protein/mineral/nutrient rich blood and meat we feasted on. Back then though homo homo sapiens were true hunters. Fossils of ancient humans prove that one in every four hunts ended with a fatality for the hunter.

If we had to rely on our natural defenses, there would be no modern society. We would have been extinct about a million years ago.

There is a difference in domesticating animals for mass consumption and intruding on another animals enviroment only to kill it for sport.

In my humble opinion, trophy hunters are the lowest form of human, while sustenance hunters are to be respected. I have never taken an animals life that I didn't utilize afterwards. I think it is only fair that I honor whom I have slain.

Domestication for mass consumption has led to some diseases and a general shift in mankind's reliance on instinct. Besides elk tastes way better than beef, and elk aren't fed other elk.

If Booth is only going to mount the head, he's a &$#*@.

Wow. I'm done.

So what if its relegated, it doesn't stop illegal hunting which is raping the wilderness. 99% of those punishments aren't applicable to the people who commit the crime(s). Bears are extremely valuable on the black market a lot of homeless or degenerates who own absolutely nothing go and kill them to make a quick buck to get their fix. If they get caught they have NOTHING so they lose nothing. The only person who it hurts is you because your tax dollars will go toward feeding those degenerates in jail until they're free and back to hunting illegally.

So...if that bear was hanging around your neighbourhood and you caught it rummaging around on your deck with your kids in the back yard, would you want it disposed of?

Bear populations are "culled" because if they are not, they will run out of food in the habitat remaining to them and search elsewhere. THey are very attracted to people food and get really annoyed when people get in theri way.

Even here in rural BC, we have bears wandering into town in search of nice smelling goodies. Most who are against hunting have only seen bears in movies or zoos and think they're fuzzy and cuddly. Not so cuddly when they're ripping your dog to pieces on your front lawn (ask me how I know).

A lot of the animals killed are donated to the local Fish & Game Clubs for their banquets, or to local food banks, if they accept meat privately. DB may only want the hide, but I doubt the meat will go to waste. I don't see how you can 'lose respect' for someone doing legal activities in their private life. If he doesn't shoot it, someone else will - it's not like that bear will be protected from death.

You want to see something disturbing, watch some of the videos of how your chicken and beef are treated WHILE alive, then how they are killed.

Some people hate the killing of 'cute little bunnies', but those pests ruin an awful lot of stuff. Just ask the people at UVic and other places, who are overrun with them. Then, the do-gooders want the municipal govt to pay them to catch and sterilize them! WTF!! They aren't anything but a nuisance. Besides, they taste good. :)

I'm willing to bet that 99% of people posting in this thread have never left the cushy confines of the City of Vancouver. You people will never undersand hunting. And thats ok, but dont judge people that do hunt because you think its "unethical".

On one of the gulf islands, the deer are overpopulating at an insane rate. Nature doesnt always work itself out. If the deer continue to breed etc, they will eventually starve, or force other species to starve etc etc.

Hunting has been going on sinse the dawn of man, you cant stop it now. But you can regulate it, and it is, harshly.

Get off your soap boxes, and stop acting to self righteous.

So...if that bear was hanging around your neighbourhood and you caught it rummaging around on your deck with your kids in the back yard, would you want it disposed of?

Bear populations are "culled" because if they are not, they will run out of food in the habitat remaining to them and search elsewhere. THey are very attracted to people food and get really annoyed when people get in theri way.

Even here in rural BC, we have bears wandering into town in search of nice smelling goodies. Most who are against hunting have only seen bears in movies or zoos and think they're fuzzy and cuddly. Not so cuddly when they're ripping your dog to pieces on your front lawn (ask me how I know).

Thank you for saying what many of us were thinking, Hockeyville.

Booth should have unleashed the fury in the playoffs, instead of for kicks on a defenseless animal from behind the trigger of a shotgun. Much respect lost for Booth here, especially since it's clear it's a trophy hunt and not hunting for food.

First off..."Baiting" as you describe is illegal in Canada. It is common on the USA and I do not agree with it.

Some do hunt deer from a stand because they follow game trails but being killed from above is not uncommon for deer as that is how COugar hunt them, and a cougar death is much more violent than an arrow.

As for bear...most are "still hunted" which means you are on the ground "stalking" them. To ensure a kill, this usually means getting inside 50 yards to get a clean shot with a bow ehich requires considerable talent. There is significant risk to the hunter and if you have ever tried stalking a wild animal to within 50 yards you will know how much the animal has the advantage with their ears and sense of smell.

Bear kills are regulated for population control. Unfortunately, because of habitat loss due to the encroachment on their territory by humand (non-hunters in most cases), all wild animals are prone to death by starvation if their populations are not "managed. It is a fact of man's population increase and inhabiting of more and more lands.

More damage is done to wildlife through habitat encroachment, polllution and road kills than by all hunting of all species combined.

You don'ty have to agree with what Booth is doing but at least understand the facts before trashing it. I (who have hunted with a bow and rifle) do not agree with trophy hunting and hope that's not what he is doing.

If you eat meat of any kind, you are simpy paying someone else to kill your food for you. What domestic animals go through at a slaughter house is far worse than a wild animal being killed in its natural surroundings. It's called the food chain.

As for the Vegans out there, all that beautiful farm land that grows your veggies used to be bottom land that was the main habitat for all the species you so love. More animals have been wiped out by that habitat loss than by hunting.

Sorry to rant but it gets tiring hearing the same old BS.

I'm willing to bet that 99% of people posting in this thread have never left the cushy confines of the City of Vancouver. You people will never undersand hunting. And thats ok, but dont judge people that do hunt because you think its "unethical".

On one of the gulf islands, the deer are overpopulating at an insane rate. Nature doesnt always work itself out. If the deer continue to breed etc, they will eventually starve, or force other species to starve etc etc.

Hunting has been going on sinse the dawn of man, you cant stop it now. But you can regulate it, and it is, harshly.

Get off your soap boxes, and stop acting to self righteous.

Its his decision to hunt, I don't agree with it but I'm also not saying its terrible. What is sad however is to take a picture with a big smile like you accomplished something great by shooting an animal when it cannot defend itself. You have nothing to be proud of Booth you used human technology to kill a defenceless animal, congrats big man.

Well said. I am not a fan of hunting but I can acknowledge that habitat destruction is far, far worse than a limited harvest of said animal. Most environmental conservationists will admit that, moving forward, hunting has to be a part of the solution. My main concern is when it involves species at risk, such as grizzly's and wolves, because I think they seriously underestimate the amount of poaching, and the government intentionally inflates their estimates of population sizes because of the perceived economic benefits derived from trophy hunting.

So tired of hearing this. Hunters are not, as a rule, 'respectful of nature and all of gods creatures blah blah blah'. I've met A LOT of hunters in my time and I can honestly say that a large percentage of them are ignorant rednecks who openly admit to poaching and leaving badly wounded animals to die in the woods. I'm not saying hunters are inherently bad people, but the ability to legally buy weapons and head off into the bush to kill things isn't solely enjoyed by the pure at heart.

Archived