The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

PlayStation

Guest gumballthechewy

Your opinion is yours to have.

I eat grocery store meat too, so I am not one to chastise.

My post was more a response to the admittedly hypocritical double standard that hockeyville88, and many others (although not as admittedly) have for their meat source.

I don't think the vegetarians and vegans (I don't remember seeing anyone claim to be so... regardless) are the issue in this thread. At least they have a leg to stand on; a stance, if you will. Non-vegetarians who oppose hunting are flip-floppers. I can at least agree to disagree with a vegetarian, but meat eating hunting haters can't agree with themselves, so how could I agree with them?

To be honest, from what I've seen, the vast majority of people that take issue with the picture and video are assuming that #7 didn't eat the meat/should have afforded to eat tortured grocery store meat/should have used a rifle because it is quicker/should have used a knife cause it's more fair... so on and so on. We all know where assuming gets us... It makes asses out of the both of us.

I think there's at least a good chance he ate the meat. He may not have... I don't know. But, to me is the best argument is whether or not he ate it.

BTW, hockeyville88, this isn't an attack on you. You at least seem to recognize that your stance is conflicting.

I can, and will, continue to eat delicious, delicious meat and no 90lb vegan is going to stop me.

I am a human, humans eat meat, animals are meat, I eat animals.

I don't really care if the animals I eat are tortured in a factory, that's how it is and it 'ain't changing anytime soon. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I don't know why people are getting so worked up over Booth shooting a bear anyway for whatever reason...just because he's a hockey player (especially for Vancouver) everybody has to crucify him.

Actually, those stating an opinion may be doing so based on the way this was done more than anything. Sure, it's legal in Alberta but the posing of a picture with a large dead animal like it's some sort of great feat with the reality being that it was a fish in a barrel scenario gives way for criticism. I could probably go to the zoo and pop off a few tigers but that doesn't make me brave or heroic and the pictures (and tweets) of me sitting beside them like I fought them off valiantly wouldn't tell the whole story.

If you enjoy this type of thing, fine, but if you brag about it and post pictures like you've done something magnificent then that may be challenged. Which is the case here. DB is in the spotlight so, of course, anything he publishes will be circulated and, further to that, talked about.

"Just killed a 7 ft bruin" should have been followed by "while I was safely perched on a platform high in the air, luring the unsuspecting creature with garbage". Anything less leaves some wondering "why?". I guess it's the "I'm a manly man" portrayal that arrives from these pictures/tweets that gets under my skin. Sure, go quietly about your business if this is your kind of thing, but we don't have to like it. And, in doing so (posting pics, tweets) you're opening yourself up for the comments that go with it.

Again - trying to see both sides, as my family are hunters. But trophy hunting that's performed under these circumstances? - makes you more cowardly than manly.

I don't get how its cruel or unethical, they don't torture the animal. One shot kill is what the goal is.

No less ethical than buying chicken, pork or beef from a store. Peaople need to get off their high horse. Unless they are vegan, then you have an argument based on your views.

Guest gumballthechewy

Actually, those stating an opinion may be doing so based on the way this was done more than anything. Sure, it's legal in Alberta but the posing of a picture with a large dead animal like it's some sort of great feat with the reality being that it was a fish in a barrel scenario gives way for criticism. I could probably go to the zoo and pop off a few tigers but that doesn't make me brave or heroic and the pictures (and tweets) of me sitting beside them like I fought them off valiantly wouldn't tell the whole story.

If you enjoy this type of thing, fine, but if you brag about it and post pictures like you've done something magnificent then that may be challenged. Which is the case here. DB is in the spotlight so, of course, anything he publishes will be circulated and, further to that, talked about.

"Just killed a 7 ft bruin" should have been followed by "while I was safely perched on a platform high in the air, luring the unsuspecting creature with garbage". Anything less leaves some wondering "why?". I guess it's the "I'm a manly man" portrayal that arrives from these pictures/tweets that gets under my skin. Sure, go quietly about your business if this is your kind of thing, but we don't have to like it. And, in doing so (posting pics, tweets) you're opening yourself up for the comments that go with it.

Again - trying to see both sides, as my family are hunters. But trophy hunting that's performed under these circumstances? - makes you more cowardly than manly.

A bear shot thru the heart or lungs will die in 15-20 seconds. I arrowed one just the other day, it will make a nice rug.

Hunting over bait is the one sure way not to shoot a sow with young cubs. You should bait bears, I bet you would be a master baiter.

As for the twisted religious reference, the bible also says ...

Genesis 27:3

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

You hypocrites can hide in the city, experiencing your concrete environment and cellophane wrapped, mass produced meats ... Ill be in the bush, filling my role as predator, bow in hand, killing sometimes for meat, and other times for the trophy. No apologies.

It's not torture eh?

You see him put a hunting tip through that bear from a long way out. What does the bear do?

IT RUNS AWAY.

WITH AN ARROW STUCK IN IT.

Then the video is edited for time as Booth goes looking for it. How much time has passed? An hour? two??

The fact that he baited the bear and then did this is the DEFINITION of torture, genius.

Despite all the millions of hunters in the United States, bear baiting is illegal in nearly HALF of that country. What does that tell you?

It tells you that even in the most staunch, gun toting, rights-wielding, pro-"hunting" environment, bear baiting is seen as unethical by nearly 50% of the population.

It is illegal in BC to do this but legal in Alberta (big surprise - not)

You know where else it's still perfectly legal?

MICHIGAN. Booth's state of birth.

He could have stayed home and done this and avoided the inevitable backlash. Too late.

Hunting for "fun" should not be legal anywhere on this planet IMO. Booth hasn't said anything about doing this for the meat so we can all assume he is simply participating in a blood sport - which is pretty pathetic.

This guy is supposed to be a hardcore Christian?

Hey David, turn your book to Proverbs 12:27

“The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious."

Congratulations. It's not a sin, but God just called you out as a lazy, wasteful prick.

Archived