The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

PlayStation

That's a pretty off -colour comment! I'd be willing to bet that Booth knows more about nature and has more respect for it than you.

Most of the funds and volunteers for animal conservation work come from the hunting communities. HOw much do you contribute?

Unless you use a knife and get right up near the animal to give a fair fight, all modern day hunting is cowardice. But that is humankind in general for you.

If we didn't start eating meat as soon as we did nearly a million years ago, we would never have evolved. That's what saved us.

Our brains increased in size over millenia due to the protein/mineral/nutrient rich blood and meat we feasted on. Back then though homo homo sapiens were true hunters. Fossils of ancient humans prove that one in every four hunts ended with a fatality for the hunter.

If we had to rely on our natural defenses, there would be no modern society. We would have been extinct about a million years ago.

There is a difference in domesticating animals for mass consumption and intruding on another animals enviroment only to kill it for sport.

In my humble opinion, trophy hunters are the lowest form of human, while sustenance hunters are to be respected. I have never taken an animals life that I didn't utilize afterwards. I think it is only fair that I honor whom I have slain.

Domestication for mass consumption has led to some diseases and a general shift in mankind's reliance on instinct. Besides elk tastes way better than beef, and elk aren't fed other elk.

If Booth is only going to mount the head, he's a &$#*@.

Wow. I'm done.

Well said. I am not a fan of hunting but I can acknowledge that habitat destruction is far, far worse than a limited harvest of said animal. Most environmental conservationists will admit that, moving forward, hunting has to be a part of the solution. My main concern is when it involves species at risk, such as grizzly's and wolves, because I think they seriously underestimate the amount of poaching, and the government intentionally inflates their estimates of population sizes because of the perceived economic benefits derived from trophy hunting.

yeah but cougars are animals and we are not. we possess emotions like empathy. cougars don't hunt for fun. they eat their victims and they don't pose for stupid pictures with the carcass of their kill.

I came across a bear in Squamish a few years back and I've never moved so quickly in my life. Thankfully I was downwind and it didn't see me. Yes, they have dangerous assets.

If "hunters" are using shotguns, then give the bear a shotgun and I'll stop calling it defenseless.

yeah but cougars are animals and we are not. we possess emotions like empathy. cougars don't hunt for fun. they eat their victims and they don't pose for stupid pictures with the carcass of their kill.

i'm going to have to disagree. there is no considerable risk to the hunter. how many animals are killed? how many hunters are killed? the animals have no idea that they're about to get something shot at them and cannot plan for that eventuality. it's not a fair fight in any way.

pointing out other ways in which humans are horrible doesn't really help here. if it's wrong, it's wrong, and it shouldn't happen.

look i hear what you're saying about animal control, but honestly there's got to be a better way. if anything, i'd be happier controlling their reproductive system then abruptly ending a life. i just don't like the way it's made into entertainment for people. slaughterhouses are terrible and should be way more humane, but no one enjoys killing the animals. they're killed and then every possible piece of them is used.

i just find it pathetic for people to pose with a large dead bear and think that makes them virile. any 12 year old can aim and shoot with training.

even assuming hunting has to be done, and that it's a tradition that should continue, posting an all-smiles picture like that on twitter is beyond bad taste. killing that amazing animal was nothing more than an opportunity for entertainment and bragging rights. where's the humility at having ended a life of such a magnificent animal?

I just want to vent regarding the hypocrisy of some of these posters... they know nothing of it yet judge them based mostly on ignorance.

1. I agree habitat loss is the single most destructive force mankind has unleashed on wildlife.

2. Hunting for population control is at least attempting to make the best of a horrid situation left behind by primarily habitat loss. It is not ethical on the point that it is wholly a good thing, but since we (people) deem ourselves to be more important than wildlife, we, based on our needs, give them a little bit of "help". (Does this remind anybody of the treatment of aboriginals in reserves?)

3. Man is an animal, and whether you like it or not we abide by the rules of nature as do anything else. We may WANT to think we are above natural law, but even that thought is a part of nature - higher thinking does not grant you exemption from nature.

4. How is hunting with a knife any fairer than hunting with a bow or rifle? If you demand fair, shouldn't man hunt naked? But again, you're discounting our advantage which is our immense neural capacities, which have over time helped us develop tools to help us survive. We are no longer strictly selected based on survivability on a physical level. Hunting with a GUN is as "fair" as a tiger hunting with sharp claws and teeth.

5. Hunting has nothing to do with Christianity... eating pork however... oh yeah but let's not read that part - it's from a different time, right? Plus, your god seems to have no problems hunting man with balls of fire and floods, just ask the poor souls suffering for eternity in burning pits of hell for what your god deemed to be sinful, which by definition is "Not according to god's will".

LOL. If Booth turns that bear into food, all you animal activists should take a hike. Go fight your battles against Monsanto or someone who is actually harming the animals in stead of a quick, circle-of-life death.

If it's a trophy, and the meat is not going to use, flame the living heck out of him.

I just want to vent regarding the hypocrisy of some of these posters... they know nothing of it yet judge them based mostly on ignorance.

1. I agree habitat loss is the single most destructive force mankind has unleashed on wildlife.

2. Hunting for population control is at least attempting to make the best of a horrid situation left behind by primarily habitat loss. It is not ethical on the point that it is wholly a good thing, but since we (people) deem ourselves to be more important than wildlife, we, based on our needs, give them a little bit of "help". (Does this remind anybody of the treatment of aboriginals in reserves?)

3. Man is an animal, and whether you like it or not we abide by the rules of nature as do anything else. We may WANT to think we are above natural law, but even that thought is a part of nature - higher thinking does not grant you exemption from nature.

4. How is hunting with a knife any fairer than hunting with a bow or rifle? If you demand fair, shouldn't man hunt naked? But again, you're discounting our advantage which is our immense neural capacities, which have over time helped us develop tools to help us survive. We are no longer strictly selected based on survivability on a physical level. Hunting with a GUN is as "fair" as a tiger hunting with sharp claws and teeth.

5. Hunting has nothing to do with Christianity... eating pork however... oh yeah but let's not read that part - it's from a different time, right? Plus, your god seems to have no problems hunting man with balls of fire and floods, just ask the poor souls suffering for eternity in burning pits of hell for what your god deemed to be sinful, which by definition is "Not according to god's will".

Archived