The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

PlayStation

I didn't see this posted. Here's an old Booth interview - http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Daddy-chats-with-Florida-s-David-Booth-abou?urn=nhl,126805&cp=3

PD: So what do you do to pass the time between games or practices?

BOOTH: It's hard down in Florida, because I'm a really big hunter. I've hunted pretty much everything. I went on a bear hunt in the spring. Antelope hunt in August. Elk hunt in late August.

What do you use to hunt?

I use a bow. Just got a

Mathews bow coming in the mail for Christmas, so I'm pretty excited about that.

It's a lot harder. I've shot some big deer and I couldn't find them, because you've gotta be within 40 yards of the deer, when with a gun you can be 240.

Have you ever shot a bear with a bow and arrow?

It was my first time bear hunting this summer and I didn't even see one, so I was pretty upset. I think I'm going to go on a grizzly hunt with my bow next August.

[

Boston Bruins goalie] Tim Thomas is a grizzly hunter too, right?

Yeah, we played together in the world championships and I definitely picked his brain.

He has killed a bear.

What do you eat?

I try to eat organic, actually. Our trainer has helped me out a lot with my nutrition and dieting.

Everyone to their own.

However what I am not comfortable with is broadcasting the death of a beautiful wild beast, with a picture on a social website. Is that really in line with his religion? I think it cheapens the whole act.

The native american indians honoured their prey before using it to provide food, clothing and other utensils. They were not Christians.

since when did the cycle of life involve guns?

nature?......maybe - if Booth wrestled the bear and beat it with a sharp stick, and carried it back to his cave.

instead he shot it, took a family portrait around it, and plopped it on his quad back to the mansion.

real natural like......

hunting for food great. trophy hunting weak.

Hey man, that's great. Stoked to hear your uncle hunts for meat and has respect for the outdoors.

BTW, did he happen to celebrate the Moose kill by putting photos of it, with a smiling him and his pals, up on Twitter? Ah, didn't think so. Apparently that's the difference between Booth and your uncle.

Dude stanleycanucks... You need to chill. No one here said hunting for trophy is awesome. Everyone has been mainly been talking about hunting for food. You've been just lashing out on people based on your own speculations. Even if you disagree with someone doesn't mean you need to post 12 times within 10 mins because youre not gonna change someone's mind on the Internet. So just leave it be and move on

Dude stanleycanucks... You need to chill. No one here said hunting for trophy is awesome. Everyone has been mainly been talking about hunting for food. You've been just lashing out on people based on your own speculations. Even if you disagree with someone doesn't mean you need to post 12 times within 10 mins because youre not gonna change someone's mind on the Internet. So just leave it be and move on

First off..."Baiting" as you describe is illegal in Canada. It is common on the USA and I do not agree with it.

Some do hunt deer from a stand because they follow game trails but being killed from above is not uncommon for deer as that is how COugar hunt them, and a cougar death is much more violent than an arrow.

As for bear...most are "still hunted" which means you are on the ground "stalking" them. To ensure a kill, this usually means getting inside 50 yards to get a clean shot with a bow ehich requires considerable talent. There is significant risk to the hunter and if you have ever tried stalking a wild animal to within 50 yards you will know how much the animal has the advantage with their ears and sense of smell.

Bear kills are regulated for population control. Unfortunately, because of habitat loss due to the encroachment on their territory by humand (non-hunters in most cases), all wild animals are prone to death by starvation if their populations are not "managed. It is a fact of man's population increase and inhabiting of more and more lands.

More damage is done to wildlife through habitat encroachment, polllution and road kills than by all hunting of all species combined.

You don'ty have to agree with what Booth is doing but at least understand the facts before trashing it. I (who have hunted with a bow and rifle) do not agree with trophy hunting and hope that's not what he is doing.

If you eat meat of any kind, you are simpy paying someone else to kill your food for you. What domestic animals go through at a slaughter house is far worse than a wild animal being killed in its natural surroundings. It's called the food chain.

As for the Vegans out there, all that beautiful farm land that grows your veggies used to be bottom land that was the main habitat for all the species you so love. More animals have been wiped out by that habitat loss than by hunting.

Sorry to rant but it gets tiring hearing the same old BS.

Everyone to their own.

However what I am not comfortable with is broadcasting the death of a beautiful wild beast, with a picture on a social website. Is that really in line with his religion? I think it cheapens the whole act.

The native american indians honoured their prey before using it to provide food, clothing and other utensils. They were not Christians.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I couldn't care less about wild animals. They're here to provide food for us humans, the more superior species. Why rage so much about a bear dying? There's plenty more out there to attack your little kids.

The bow hunting videos i have seen are equally pathetic. The 'hunter' hides up in a tree on a protected platform. Then plants garbage on the ground beneath him. Lets be honest - most hunters leave barely any risk to themselves so its not even a sport. Unless the hunter actually needs meat, fur, bone its not really hunting in my books. The only way i could be happy about this, is if they bbq the meat up. And use the fur at least - although they probably dont need those things anyhow. Modern day hunting is a joke.

If he doesn't have to do time in the box for it,.....................................it's not a penalty.

Is Shorty going to do a play by play of it or not ??

Moose taste good, deer are a little gamey and bear tend to be greasy, but grouse cooked with onions, salt, pepper and butter, double wrapped in tin foil fresh out of the campfire is delish.

Everyone to their own.

Archived