Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
768 replies to this topic

#481 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

No, thank YOU!! Finally someone with an informed opinion. It's shocking to read the hypocrisy in this thread from a bunch of city folk who know nothing about nature. Hunters care more about the environment than most of these tree hugging, latte sipping citiots who talk big about nature because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy but will never put any real effort into making a difference. Hunters want to preserve their sport and put a lot of effort into keeping nature the way it is. Hunting is part of Canada's heritage, if you don't like it, feel free to leave.

Also, by law here in bc you have to remove the edible portions of the 4 quarters and loins, so I don't know what everyone is bitching about "wasting" the meat.

Thanks for your opinion. Hunting != Canadian heritage, just a fyi. And hunters drink lattes too. And it is incorrect and bigoted in general to target a group of people for derision. Or should I bite back and say: Funny how people who like hunting fall into that category.... Not very nice is it, and quite incorrect, as a lot of hunters would not fall into that category at all. About being informed - it is not an accident that 80% of BC is off-limits to hunting bears, else the population wouldn't have increased (that doesn't support your argument, just that it is worthwhile to keep restrictions on the hunters). Being well informed is usually a misnomer for having an opinion backed up with some of the facts... Understanding the consequences of those facts is quite another thing. As there are good points on both sides, there is no real winner. Nor any point in arguing really, but that would be nihilism or something like that.

#482 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Little patty marleau? Is that what you would call him in person?

I guess the point had little to do with Marleau's stature and everything to do with the mismatch. Last time Marleau fought was in elementary school, when some sixth grader stole his sisters lunch. Bieksa v Marleau is a worse mismatch than Booth v Bear. IMO.

#483 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

You gonna eat the grizzly Smyl? If so, fair enough. I can respect sustenance hunters.

If you are a trophy hunter, do me a favor. Grow a set of balls.

Nuckanuck,
I am a trophy hunter, however, I also feed my family with the game I bring home. I make no apologies for it.
It's sad how a large portion of our society is completely out of touch on the topic of where our food comes from.

Not sure why you have such a fascination with my genitalia, but trust me, my testicles are a very nice size.

#484 smittythenuckfan

smittythenuckfan

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

Really? hunting is a sport that a ton of people enjoy including myself, if you dont like the idea of hunting heres a tip... are you ready ... if you see a topic or anything that has either of the words hunting or killing DONT CLICK ON THE frackIN THING!

#485 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:03 AM

I find so much more to enjoy in this picture.

Irrespective of whether the photo is "shopped" the magnificence of such a noble creature continuing to breath on this earth cannot be denied. There will always be hunting and hunters. We can only hope that they realise that when they kill the biggest and best of these creatures they are making our environment a lesser place.

Posted Image

Edited by Bodee, 04 May 2012 - 10:04 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#486 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:33 AM

Forget about all the stuff about whether it's wrong to kill animals or if it's actually the environmental thing to do or that it's better than buying a steak. I just don't understand why someone would actually WANT to kill an animal like this. I mean you've got to be a little twisted to go out and look to kill a beautiful animal like this.

Also what an idiotic decision by Booth to put a picture like this on twitter. He knows he's a public figure, and he has to be completely oblivious to not know something like this would cause a crap-storm. He might as well be holding an anti-abortion sign.

Edited by Ashbury17, 04 May 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#487 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

Forget about all the stuff about whether it's wrong to kill animals or if it's actually the environmental thing to do or that it's better than buying a steak. I just don't understand why someone would actually WANT to kill an animal like this. I mean you've got to be a little twisted to go out and look to kill a beautiful animal like this.

Also what an idiotic decision by Booth to put a picture like this on twitter. He knows he's a public figure, and he has to be completely oblivious to not know something like this would cause a crap-storm. He might as well be holding an anti-abortion sign.

I agree, Booth showed terrible judgement in this decision, I don't think he cares who he offends though.

#488 Ryan17Kesler17

Ryan17Kesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

I agree, Booth showed terrible judgement in this decision, I don't think he cares who he offends though.

Probably because everyone he offended were 12 year old girls who understand nothing about the world

#489 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

The real question here should be: How many bears are killed yearly because they wander into big cities after their habitat becomes encroached?

The lower mainland probably has the highest numbers of that in the province. Big city folk only like seeing this kind of creature in real life if it's behind bars serving a life sentence just to show people what it looks like. That's the real cruelty here.

#490 PowerAids

PowerAids

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

There will always be hunting and hunters. We can only hope that realise that when they kill the biggest and best of these creatures they are making our environment a lesser place.

IMO, Life and death are part of the environment. We don't live in a Disney movie or a photo shopped picture.

#491 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Probably because everyone he offended were 12 year old girls who understand nothing about the world

so happy.

#492 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

So much sentimental drivel in this thread.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

View Postbahkwan, on 03 December 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#493 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

IMO, Life and death are part of the environment. We don't live in a Disney movie or a photo shopped picture.

I think you are missing the point. It matters not if it is photoshopped. If it did I would not have posted it.

It is the symbolism that counts. In one photo you have two innocent creatures, in the other you have 5 hunters grinning like ninnies as they pose over a magnificent beast who has lived it's life peacefully in the wild until it encountered a gang of men with bows.

They have demeaned themselves and this handsome animal by their posting of a photograph of their "triumph." I even take exception to their being 5/6 of them. In what way can anyone properly enjoy nature or it's pursuits in "a gang"

I'm sorry but there are too many contradictory aspects to this charade, that leads me to think Booth and his buddies don't really understand the spiritual side of hunting.
Kevin.jpg

#494 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

....there doesn't have to be a spiritual side to hunting buds.... you can't jam that crap down everyones throat...

People can enjoy hunting in groups (or gang if you like)...

i would say humans are pack animals.... just like these wolves taking out this bear and moose...

#495 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Just so you know that says "rule" ... not kill. Got to love how people interpret things however they want.

The argument could be made that Booth's choice was based on Acts 10..

The next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.”

(Acts 10:9-15 ESV)

or, Moses (same authorial credit as the "thou shalt not kill" quote), writes in Deutoronomy,

“However, you may slaughter and eat meat within any of your towns, as much as you desire, according to the blessing of the LORD your God that he has given you. The unclean and the clean may eat of it, as of the gazelle and as of the deer.
(Deuteronomy 12:15 ESV)
(whether "God's" advocating agricultural farming or not, I'll leave to you.)

My "secular" perspective is that the World would eat a whole lot less meat, and have a greater respect for it when we do, if we had to kill/slaughter it ourselves. Instead, we distance ourselves from the process which leads to a 6 or 12 or 20oz steak just being an abstract concept, instead of something extremely wasteful of natural resources.
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#496 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

GUYS. the bear that was seen falling out of a tree the other day is dead.

Posted Image

he was hit by a car. poor little guy. so adventurous.

we should all have a minute of silence.

http://www.barstools...illed-by-a-car/
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#497 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Posted Image

#498 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

THIS ISN'T A SPORT. ITS KILLING OF INNOCENT ANIMALS. F U BOOTH AND YOUR HOMEBOYS KRIS DRAPER AND WHOEVER IS IN THAT PICTURE.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#499 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

....there doesn't have to be a spiritual side to hunting buds.... you can't jam that crap down everyones throat...

People can enjoy hunting in groups (or gang if you like)...

i would say humans are pack animals.... just like these wolves taking out this bear and moose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY7Xmt4HzV0&feature=player_detailpage

Well buds, if there is no spiritual side to it I guess we will agree to differ. I didn't realise I was cramming anything down anyone's throat............if you feel crammed .............don't go into the woods, it might be too dangerous for some one of your delicate sensitivities.

By the way what's the limit on the size of the "gang" 10, 20? More the merrier right? If that's your idea of hunting maybe a shooting range would suit you better.

What is the point of the video? These are animals killing because they are hungry.........there are no wolf supermarkets to my knowledge.

Edited by Bodee, 04 May 2012 - 12:54 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#500 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,011 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

What happened to not discussing players personal lives on this sight? So far I have seen 2 mods post 3 different times and neither one of them has mentioned this rule nor have they locked this thread.

This thread should have been locked long ago, if for anything to respect the personal lives of players.
IMO the mods have failed to adhere to the rules on these boards by not locking this, and have even broken the rules by posting their opinion.

Meh if they go around tweeting about it it's fair game IMO.

When I saw the story in the news I knew it would go over like a lead balloon to the rabid ecozealots of BC.

That said I know few people that would eat bear on purpose and this is the same kind of people that eat bizarre portions of freshly shot deer/moose/elk........

#501 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,011 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Well buds, if there is no spiritual side to it I guess we will agree to differ. I didn't realise I was cramming anything down anyone's throat............if you feel crammed .............don't go into the woods, it might be too dangerous for some one of your delicate sensitivities.

By the way what's the limit on the size of the "gang" 10, 20? More the merrier right? If that's your idea of hunting maybe a shooting range would suit you better.

What is the point of the video? These are animals killing because they are hungry.........there are no wolf supermarkets to my knowledge.

With proper licensing a vast majority of the province is a super market. You just have to do a lot more of the work yourself.

#502 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Only a retard would get some sort of pleasure from going around and shooting animals. Humans dont need to hunt like they did in the olden days for food. it doesnt serve any need and its morally wrong. What gives a person the right to do that, killing an animal just for fun? Animals should have rights to life as well. People should have more respect for nature.

#503 ZackAttack-9

ZackAttack-9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

It's absolutely twisted. We are smarter and more advanced now. Time to be Stewards in every faucet of nature, not takers. There are takers aplenty already. Booth should certainly know better.

#504 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Do you think it is better to buy meat in the supermarket then to hunt it? It keeps YOUR hands clean but that's it. You are a fool.

#505 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Only a retard would get some sort of pleasure from going around and shooting animals. Humans dont need to hunt like they did in the olden days for food. it doesnt serve any need and its morally wrong. What gives a person the right to do that, killing an animal just for fun? Animals should have rights to life as well. People should have more respect for nature.

It's morally wrong to keep animals in feed lots and slaughter them on assembly lines. People should have more respect for nature.

#506 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Do you think it is better to buy meat in the supermarket then to hunt it? It keeps YOUR hands clean but that's it. You are a fool.

What is your question?

Whether it is better to buy beef raised and slaughtered for the purpose of food or go out in a gang and find a big bear that's just living it's life......end it.......photograph the deed, then gloat over it on social network site?

Well if that's your question and you need me to answer it, then you need only look for the nearest mirror to see a real fool.

Edited by Bodee, 04 May 2012 - 02:52 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#507 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

It's morally wrong to keep animals in feed lots and slaughter them on assembly lines. People should have more respect for nature.

What is morally wrong is the amount of waste of everything under the Sun, including food, that goes on in the "civilised world"

Humans are basically greedy wasters, often eating far more than they need and wasting the rest. Animals eat what they need to live............many humans on the other hand live to eat. Take a walk along any street and you will see the consequences.

Booth I'm afraid strikes me as an immature idiot, who most real hunters wouldn't give the time of day to.........no better than colonial inbreds sitting on their elephants taking pot shots at some outnumbered beast that can't reach anywhere near them.
Kevin.jpg

#508 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

I wouldn't want to hunt with too many people, scare away the game!

I am hungry too! So are a lot of families, not everyone can afford to buy take out all the time, let alone feed a family of 4. If you and some buddies are into putting some time and work into hunting, skinning, and butchering your kill then what is the big deal? I certainly can't afford to grow my own garden? But I can freeze meat for months!

I don't believe in religion or spirituality !

I would bet booth didn't just shoot the bear and walk away, they put time into moving it, and if he didn't skin, gut and butcher it, he probably paid somebody to do it for him! Wow, he made another job!

Get off your pedestal.

Edited by Captain Hindsight, 04 May 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#509 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

OK, first of all - I'm not a hunter, but I notice a lot of people don't understand how it works, so, not to sound like a jerk or anything let me explain it to you.

First of all it is extremely regulated, its not just a bunch of people shooting anything that moves. The M and R survays specific zones: A, B, C, etc... They determine zone A can sustain 25 healthy moose, deer, bear, whatever. If zone A has 35 of said animal they issue 10 tags. Hunters purchase these tags, usually as groups and if ONE person in the group kills one that is that. They tag it and are done, the M and R then inspects it. If you are caught killing an in season animal without a tag the reprocussions are severe and you could lose your car, your house, and large fines, also jail time.

Bear is the only animal that can be baited. If you are caught baiting any other animal again you are severely punished.

That is all fine and dandy, but it is still prize hunting I do not care if he did it legally. It shows poor judgement and a lack of respect to post the photos on face book for all to see; is he seriously that dumb that he did not think their would a large group of people disgusted by what he did. I would be trading his ass as soon as possible.

#510 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

It seems Bodee and others are steamed Booth took a picture with the dead bear. I really don't understand the logic behind that as most hunters(Booth included I'm sure) put a lot of effort into their hunts. It's NOT just grab your gun and go as some seem to think. So yes, they will be happy and proud that their efforts paid off and they will have a full freezer for a while. I have seen so many pictures of serious hunters gathered around their kill, just like Booth is. So those of you trying to seperate Booth from "real" hunters need to relax a bit.

Yah maybe he shouldn't have tweeted the pic but it's his freaking twitter and obviously he doesn't care what anyone thinks about it....and I say good on him. He shouldn't care, he did nothing wrong.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.