The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

PlayStation

Truth is we can all do whatever the heck we want but we have established general rules to live by. We as a a people have realized that we have to mass produce food to survive, and we facilitate that by killing them in the fashion we do in order to survive. We have also determined that war is necessary in some areas where a lot of people die. Does that make it all alright for you to go kill someone because you don't like them oro want to propser from them? No, probably not. Do people get killed unfairly, yes, but it is that general assumption that you are not allowed to kill your fellow man and it is that general assumption upon which we base our lives.

The difference between them is one is done for survival and the other almost always with an added element of entertainment. If I were an animal in the wild I would feel for those in a slaughter house (if I knew what was goin on) waiting to die but I would value my freedom to pursue life as it is even though others weren't as unfortunate, simlar to the sympathy I feel for all those caught in worn torn countries today. Life sucks that way but it's reality. Sometimes though through all the suckage is the purpose of the those making the decisions that count.

Bottom line is hunting isn't going to feed the population, it's a recreational sport for most. Especially for a guy like Booth that makes millions and goes hunting twice a year.

Your argument has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand, even though you and your high horse would claim otherwise. Whether or not human-kind has over-populated the world and mismanaged it's resources has nothing to do with the ethical issue of hunting and killing another animal.

So you're posting on a message board because he loaded his picture up on twitter? So he can gloat about his kill on a social networking site and its wrong, but you can come on a public message board and disagree? What's next, will you complain to all of us about your sister having an abortion and how much you hate it? Grow up.

Truth is we can all do whatever the heck we want but we have established general rules to live by. We as a a people have realized that we have to mass produce food to survive, and we facilitate that by killing them in the fashion we do in order to survive. We have also determined that war is necessary in some areas where a lot of people die. Does that make it all alright for you to go kill someone because you don't like them oro want to propser from them? No, probably not. Do people get killed unfairly, yes, but it is that general assumption that you are not allowed to kill your fellow man and it is that general assumption upon which we base our lives.

The difference between them is one is done for survival and the other almost always with an added element of entertainment. If I were an animal in the wild I would feel for those in a slaughter house (if I knew what was goin on) waiting to die but I would value my freedom to pursue life as it is even though others weren't as unfortunate, simlar to the sympathy I feel for all those caught in worn torn countries today. Life sucks that way but it's reality. Sometimes though through all the suckage is the purpose of the those making the decisions that count.

Bottom line is hunting isn't going to feed the population, it's a recreational sport for most. Especially for a guy like Booth that makes millions and goes hunting twice a year.

I find a conflict with being out in the wild, being one with nature, enjoying the camaraderie and emulating a lost era ............and running back to civilisation and posting photos of it on a social website............it smacks of "fraud" and "attention seeker" to me.

I would like to think I would have more respect for such a noble beast.

You're correct that hunting won't feed the world but you have passed over the threads concerning populatio of the animalx being controlled. THe animals don't take the pill so as to not over populate their territory. WIth most species, this leads to overpopulation and starvation, death to a competing animal or moving into populated areas in search of food. WHen bears move into populated areas, it doesn't usually go well for the people or th bears. Hunting is the most humane way of controlling the population of wildlife.

The fact that the hunters make use of the meat and other parts means the animal did not go to waste. You make it sound like these animals would live forever if man didn't hunt them. LIfe expectancy in the wild for these animals is usually quite short due to many factors beyond just man.

Loss of habitat and increased access to the back country by ski doos and four wheelers is more of a threat and leads to more "Stress" deaths than hunting ever will.

Agreed.

The prairies ( breadbasket of Canada) used to have Grizzlies, tens of thousands of Bison etc...mankind got rid of them to grow grain and beef.

Honestly, so many posters here seem to be unable to connect animals and their demise with what they buy in aisle 5 of the supermarket.

Animals die for to feed humans  whether it's meat or grains.  You don't want to hunt but are willing to pay someone else to do your killing for you, fine.  Arent yo lucky you live in a society that has that option. Just dont' be righteous about your "choice" not to hunt.  IF you couldn't buy your food in a supermarket, you'd take up arms in a damn hurry to feed your family.

Issue with Booth is that he is a high profile athlete (well at least in Vancouver) who sets an example to young kids.

I'm sure most people wouldn't want their kids to emulate that kind of behaviour.

Problem is that bear populations world-wide are undergoing immense pressures, and if we keep hunting them, or advertise hunting (like Booth did), we will kill them all off.

Hunting (and recreational fishing for that matter) is a wonderful and fun thing to do - but not on wild species that could become extinct. Or do you think that bears are on the other side of the Nirvana equation (it's ok to eat fish, cause they don't have any feelings)?

I haven't glazed over those posts concerning population control and other such aspects. In fact I found them quite informational and have allowed my personal biased beliefs to updated. Thank you. It may not seem like it but I do enjoy becoming a more rounded person.

I of course can't prove this but I just feel that most of hunting pushes towards the negative aspects being discussed here. My main points were that maybe hunting and such is just as humane, or probably moreso than the slaughter house but perhaps it is a human injustice to the animals that will die in the natural habitat (and some will no matter) to stand and gloat over top of their dead bodies and take pictures of them and celebrate their death. It's the thought process in the human mind here that I take issue with.

I'm thinking the debate over the ethics of sport hunting is secondary. And this thread has been jacked by "experts" on both sides. It's not being discussed here to decide on behalf of humanity if hunting is good or bad. We're only discussing it here because David Booth plays for the Vancouver Canucks.

To me it boils down to - he can do whatever he wants on his own time. He can justify it however way he wants to. But he should have enough common sense to know his actions may offend some people.

Dude needs to get off twitter for his own good.

Bear hunting was big way back in the middle ages eh?

Well that just completely blows my statement, that people dont usually hunt bears for meat these days. Right out of the water now doesnt it? How about some examples of recent hunting bears for food. Thanks.

Why? How is hunting bear any different than deer, moose, rabbit, etc. They are all mammals, all regarded as having social tendencies, and all "intelligent" (I use quotes because I do understand that they have varying levels of intelligence but I don't want this to go back to the previous argument of dumb cows vs smart bears that happened earlier in this topic).

Hey that's cool. But you have to admit it wasn't hard for them to kill the animal. There's very little difficulty and it isn't much to brag about. Go out with a group of guys, with guns against one single animal - who doesn't know any better. that's all I'm saying. At least when you eat the kill there's some honor. But many don't and I don't feel booth is eating that bear meat.

Takes a lot of skill involved I mean from that last picture - a couple chubby casual 'jean and t-shirt guys, can walk out and accomplish it. Congratulations on that amazing victory over the bear. I mean it must have been a battle of the ages. Something you can pass on from generation to generation.

Archived