Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
768 replies to this topic

#631 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

I'm no hippy or anything but I really didn't like this video...poor little bear...minding its own business :(
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#632 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

I can absolutely understand and, to be honest, I'm not even sure how to defend that.

The truth is that yes, I do eat foods that required an animal to be killed in order for me to eat it and no, I don't feel bad when I'm eating beef or chicken or whatever else. But there's something very real about seeing David Booth shoot and kill an animal that is perhaps lacking when I'm eating a burger because I didn't actually see the animal get killed.

Maybe the best way to defend my view would be to say that what Booth is doing is not for the purpose of nourishing himself. It's purely for entertainment. There are less destructive and harmful things that he could do if he was looking for an adrenaline rush. Bungee jumping, hiking, boating?? I don't know but I don't agree with killing animals for fun.

It's not a strong argument but I still can't help but judge him for being okay with doing that.

You basically eat animals for fun. There's so many other things you can eat. To say you will never respect David Booth is quite a stretch.
Posted Image

#633 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

I am likely desensitized to hunting, because I grew up with it, so I have no problem with him hunting.

But, could it be that those who haven't become accustomed to hunting are hyper-sensitized?

The only part I don't like is the garbage baiting. That's like taking advantage of a drunk chick.

Try harder, don't cheat.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#634 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

I can absolutely understand and, to be honest, I'm not even sure how to defend that.

The truth is that yes, I do eat foods that required an animal to be killed in order for me to eat it and no, I don't feel bad when I'm eating beef or chicken or whatever else. But there's something very real about seeing David Booth shoot and kill an animal that is perhaps lacking when I'm eating a burger because I didn't actually see the animal get killed.

Maybe the best way to defend my view would be to say that what Booth is doing is not for the purpose of nourishing himself. It's purely for entertainment. There are less destructive and harmful things that he could do if he was looking for an adrenaline rush. Bungee jumping, hiking, boating?? I don't know but I don't agree with killing animals for fun.

It's not a strong argument but I still can't help but judge him for being okay with doing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_vqIGTKuQE&feature=related
http://youtu.be/9vgluEazxqw

I think that if you have enough reserve about Booth's bear hunt, then you should look at the reality of mainstream meat.
Would you rather be a wild bear that met an end, or a pig in a gestation cage?
If Booth's kill was murder, than the grocery stores are selling genocide.

Edited by WiDeN, 14 May 2012 - 08:31 AM.

Posted Image

#635 Ryan17Kesler17

Ryan17Kesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_vqIGTKuQE&feature=related
http://youtu.be/9vgluEazxqw

I think that if you have enough reserve about Booth's bear hunt, then you should look at the reality of mainstream meat.
Would you rather be a wild bear that met an end, or a pig in a gestation cage?
If Booth's kill was murder, than the grocery stores are selling genocide.

Exactly. Some or these tree hugger vegetarians on here are so uninformed and ignorant.

#636 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

Exactly. Some or these tree hugger vegetarians on here are so uninformed and ignorant.

.. and annoying.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#637 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

The only type of hunting I disaprove of is hunting for sport, there's absolutly no need for that. Hunting for survival, like for food and hide ect, and also hunting for pest/population control is perfectly fine and acceptable.

And for people bitching about people whining about this while they eat hamburgers and whatnot, animlas like domestic cows and chickens serve no real purpose other than to feed people. They are there solely to be killed to feed humans. As a matter of fact, being a human (as in: being both omnivores and at the top of the food chain) all animals are for eating, plane and simple.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#638 DoItForRaymond

DoItForRaymond

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

I gave him a +1 just for your response.

Cool story troll. Now try being a trol in person. See where it gets you

#639 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Cool story troll. Now try being a trol in person. See where it gets you

My pixels could smash you to pieces.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#640 DoItForRaymond

DoItForRaymond

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

My pixels could smash you to pieces.

LMAO go play your MW3

#641 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

What the hell? The mod is not a vegetarian, which is why some of us are having issue with her posts.

Why are you suddenly mentioning vegetarians and then calling them uninformed and ignorant? Did I miss something here, or did a CDCer vegetarian say something stupid? Show me the quote and save yourself.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#642 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

LMAO go play your MW3

.. whatever that is.

What the hell? The mod is not a vegetarian, which is why some of us are having issue with her posts.

Why are you suddenly mentioning vegetarians and then calling them uninformed and ignorant? Did I miss something here, or did a CDCer vegetarian say something stupid? Show me the quote and save yourself.

Likely the same mentality, except hypocrisy in this case.

-- Jeff Ross

#643 sleepy_nite

sleepy_nite

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Can anyone on here prove that he was just trophy hunting?? Did anyone ask what he did with the meat etc??? From the posts I read it seems everyone is judging without all the facts. If I missed a post that showed this, then I apologize but people should not make assumptions.

#644 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Can anyone on here prove that he was just trophy hunting?? Did anyone ask what he did with the meat etc??? From the posts I read it seems everyone is judging without all the facts. If I missed a post that showed this, then I apologize but people should not make assumptions.

I asked him myself, he said he blew the carcass up with dynamite in the most loving and cuddly fashion to adhere to PETA standards.

Edited by zaibatsu, 14 May 2012 - 07:42 PM.

-- Jeff Ross

#645 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

I agree. I haven't yet seen anything that would suggest they just left the bear in the woods to rot(minus the head). And until then, I certainly won't jump to conclusions or verbally berate him.

Edited by pimpcurtly, 14 May 2012 - 07:52 PM.

Posted Image

#646 MikeGillis58

MikeGillis58

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

Atta boy, David Booth! Good job!!!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#647 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

.. whatever that is.

Likely the same mentality, except hypocrisy in this case.

I thought vegetarians and vegans were the only ones who could advocate for animal rights and be justified by their actions.
Posted Image

#648 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,209 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

Atta boy, David Booth! Good job!!!

If only it was a level playing field and the bears would hunt people for sport the same way. Oh how people would change their tune then.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 15 May 2012 - 01:05 AM.

wmmkuv.jpg

#649 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:40 AM

And for people bitching about people whining about this while they eat hamburgers and whatnot, animlas like domestic cows and chickens serve no real purpose other than to feed people. They are there solely to be killed to feed humans. As a matter of fact, being a human (as in: being both omnivores and at the top of the food chain) all animals are for eating, plane and simple.

And who determined this purpose? You? Those in the animal agriculture business? God? This purpose you speak of only begs the question.

You sound like certain individuals who on the basis of arbitrary characteristics, marginalized groups of people to mere property status. These peoples purpose, as slaves, was to do whatever their masters said so. But this purpose isn't morally justified.

Being at the top of the food chain means nothing. The law of the jungle is not a moral code. As rational beings, we do what we have the most reason to do. Understanding that animals are beings that can agonize and suffer, as well as experience great joy and pleasure just like you or I, is reason enough to take them into moral consideration.

How we cruelly raise, treat, and slaughter billions of animals in factory farms every year is morally condemnable

There is no sufficient reason to argue otherwise.

Try me.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE, 15 May 2012 - 03:42 AM.

lZqI3g.gif

#650 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,669 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hey guys...we're all bloggers now

http://vansunsportsb...rce=twitterfeed

#651 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hey guys...we're all bloggers now

http://vansunsportsb...rce=twitterfeed

I knew those comments were familiar when I heard them on the news (having read them here) and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't just attribute them to where they came from. Then I remembered this is CTV and it wouldn't have helped CTV with any credibility in this story. The entire piece pissed me off royally, especially with the lead-in story (which was no accident and was done purely to inflame watchers) of the sows being shot in the Smithers and Hixon area (the latter being not far up the highway from me) leaving cubs to fend for themselves. It was pure inflammatory 'journalism' specifically presented in a certain way in order to inflame people who haven't got a clue about hunting or bears or live in areas where their only interaction with a bear is what they see on CTV 'news' or the television.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 15 May 2012 - 09:58 AM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#652 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Many bear end up dead in North Van , Coqutlam etc , because people leave their garbage out at the wrong time or leave it unsecured.
They are directly responsible for the death of those bear.
Just because you don't like hunting that means nobody should do it ?
What an arrogant piece of sh#$.
I'm offended by religious messages , which I think is nothing but lies , but I would never try to stop or persuade anyone from practicing their religion.

#653 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Many bear end up dead in North Van , Coqutlam etc , because people leave their garbage out at the wrong time or leave it unsecured.
I'm offended by religious messages , which I think is nothing but lies , but I would never try to stop or persuade anyone from practicing their religion.

You change topic faster than Eminem. Try rhyming while you do that. You might have a platinum album on your hands.

Posted Image

#654 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

And who determined this purpose? You? Those in the animal agriculture business? God? This purpose you speak of only begs the question.

You sound like certain individuals who on the basis of arbitrary characteristics, marginalized groups of people to mere property status. These peoples purpose, as slaves, was to do whatever their masters said so. But this purpose isn't morally justified.

Being at the top of the food chain means nothing. The law of the jungle is not a moral code. As rational beings, we do what we have the most reason to do. Understanding that animals are beings that can agonize and suffer, as well as experience great joy and pleasure just like you or I, is reason enough to take them into moral consideration.

How we cruelly raise, treat, and slaughter billions of animals in factory farms every year is morally condemnable

There is no sufficient reason to argue otherwise.

Try me.

I can, and will, continue to eat delicious, delicious meat and no 90lb vegan is going to stop me.

I am a human, humans eat meat, animals are meat, I eat animals.

I don't really care if the animals I eat are tortured in a factory, that's how it is and it 'ain't changing anytime soon. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

#655 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

I can, and will, continue to eat delicious, delicious meat and no 90lb vegan is going to stop me.

I don't really care if the animals I eat are tortured in a factory, that's how it is and it 'ain't changing anytime soon. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Your opinion is yours to have.

I eat grocery store meat too, so I am not one to chastise.

My post was more a response to the admittedly hypocritical double standard that hockeyville88, and many others (although not as admittedly) have for their meat source.

I don't think the vegetarians and vegans (I don't remember seeing anyone claim to be so... regardless) are the issue in this thread. At least they have a leg to stand on; a stance, if you will. Non-vegetarians who oppose hunting are flip-floppers. I can at least agree to disagree with a vegetarian, but meat eating hunting haters can't agree with themselves, so how could I agree with them?

To be honest, from what I've seen, the vast majority of people that take issue with the picture and video are assuming that #7 didn't eat the meat/should have afforded to eat tortured grocery store meat/should have used a rifle because it is quicker/should have used a knife cause it's more fair... so on and so on. We all know where assuming gets us... It makes asses out of the both of us.

I think there's at least a good chance he ate the meat. He may not have... I don't know. But, to me is the best argument is whether or not he ate it.

BTW, hockeyville88, this isn't an attack on you. You at least seem to recognize that your stance is conflicting.

Posted Image

#656 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

Pretty funny how defensive hunters are.

It's kind of pointless to argue with people who defend their own actions by pointing out flaws in greater society while they separate themselves from society.

i.e.

non-hunter - "I think hunting is wrong."
hunter - "you eat meat? you're wrong too.... so I am right."

Reminds me of SUV drivers who like to brag about their rides knowing full well someone is going to say something about fuel consumption. Most of them just like arguing and talking down to people.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#657 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

ACTUALLY I live in West Vancouver and from my understanding the bears that make it down the mountains get tranquilized and re-released at the top of the mountain, unless there is some sort of emergency inwhich they will be killed to prevent danger to people, (even then they will tranquilize if possible). They do not necessarly die. Furthermore, those bears are direct threats to human life (especially kids) so it is somewhat justified. This bear was trapped and then brutally hunted for sport (got shot and was probably suffering for sometime before it actually died), not survival. Just my 2 cents, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :)

Someone introduce Booth to video games...that way he can shoot as many things as he likes.

bah I can't help but feel so bad for the poor bear! The bear wasn't even a threat to his life...

Edited by NikiShiz, 15 May 2012 - 08:45 PM.

Posted Image
NikiShiz

#658 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

Pretty funny how defensive hunters are.

It's kind of pointless to argue with people who defend their own actions by pointing out flaws in greater society while they separate themselves from society.

i.e.

non-hunter - "I think hunting is wrong."
hunter - "you eat meat? you're wrong too.... so I am right."

Reminds me of SUV drivers who like to brag about their rides knowing full well someone is going to say something about fuel consumption. Most of them just like arguing and talking down to people.

A big pet peeve of mine is when there are those who truly believe that there are certain animals you can eat and then there are some that you cannot. The exception would be those who follow religious laws.
Posted Image

#659 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Your opinion is yours to have.

I eat grocery store meat too, so I am not one to chastise.

My post was more a response to the admittedly hypocritical double standard that hockeyville88, and many others (although not as admittedly) have for their meat source.

I don't think the vegetarians and vegans (I don't remember seeing anyone claim to be so... regardless) are the issue in this thread. At least they have a leg to stand on; a stance, if you will. Non-vegetarians who oppose hunting are flip-floppers. I can at least agree to disagree with a vegetarian, but meat eating hunting haters can't agree with themselves, so how could I agree with them?

To be honest, from what I've seen, the vast majority of people that take issue with the picture and video are assuming that #7 didn't eat the meat/should have afforded to eat tortured grocery store meat/should have used a rifle because it is quicker/should have used a knife cause it's more fair... so on and so on. We all know where assuming gets us... It makes asses out of the both of us.

I think there's at least a good chance he ate the meat. He may not have... I don't know. But, to me is the best argument is whether or not he ate it.

BTW, hockeyville88, this isn't an attack on you. You at least seem to recognize that your stance is conflicting.

I don't know why people are getting so worked up over Booth shooting a bear anyway for whatever reason. If I went out and shot a bear just for the hell of it and posted on myface I doubt anybody would care. But just because he's a hockey player (especially for Vancouver) everybody has to crucify him.

#660 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

I don't know why people are getting so worked up over Booth shooting a bear anyway for whatever reason. If I went out and shot a bear just for the hell of it and posted on myface I doubt anybody would care. But just because he's a hockey player (especially for Vancouver) everybody has to crucify him.

I'm not condemning Booth, if hunting is necessary to keep populations under control.

You on the other hand, are an irrational chump.
lZqI3g.gif

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.