The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

PlayStation

15 pages for this....Wow.

Do you people realize millions of people go hunting? Why is Booth being singled out?

You may not agree with it, but it happens, a lot. So anyone losing sleep over this is a numb nut. And for the record i don't agree with it, but if anyone else wants to do it they can go ahead. I surely won't base my opinion of someones character over something like this.

The same argument can go on for decades, and no one is going to change anyones mind. Someone lock this thread.

I am a vegan, but I do acknowledge that sometimes killing animals is necessary. Managing wild life numbers might be such a case. I do know hardcore activists who argue that only non-lethal solutions should be used. While this does have merit, in the long run it might not be practical. But then again, it is worth asking what animals morally deserve apart from what is most practical for us.

As for Booth, not something I'd do but I won't necessarily condemn it either. What people might be missing is that if the bear population has to be managed, it doesn't really make a difference, ethically speaking whether the bear was killed for a trophy. We might condemn the attitudes of these types of hunters, but the act itself still has the same effects.

Either way, I'm glad people are recognizing the interests of animals such as bears. Now only if people would think twice at the super market...

I don't hunt, never have hunted, but I don't see anything wrong with Booth hunting. Like many people have pointed out, humans hunting animals has been around forever. And he's doing it legally - and as for the people saying it's just a "trophy", you don't know that. You don't know anything about his or the other hunters' personal lives. And he is allowed to tweet a pic if he wants - just like the people on here that are claiming they have a right to their opinion because of free speech - he has the right to post/say whatever he wants. And besides, there are SO many pictures and even videos on youtube of people hunting...

As for the people campaigning to have him traded because he hunts - well I guess this is what happens with an early exit and they have nothing better to do. His religion also has nothing to do with this. And for those of you hating on him because you think he's extremely religious - I don't see that. Extremely religious people are those who shove their religious beliefs down your throats every chance they get, or go door to door asking you to join them - I've had this happen to me too many times and I hate that. Booth's religious beliefs do not bother me because he's not on twitter going "hey guys, convert to christianity, do it now!"

I'm sure if Booth performs well next season this will all be forgotten.

My last word on this War and Peace thread.

I find Booth to be an interesting chap for a number of reasons.

He seems to crave publicity, whether it be for killing a bear or quoting other people's words to justify his life experience. I think in a way he also craves popularity, ironically most sportsmen achieve that in their field. However it strikes me that popularity in hockey is not quite enough for him.

All of this is done imo in a naive way, not calculated or by design but almost as a simple appeal to be liked.

He probably even finds his religion as another road to friendship, as is his hunting. I now think he published the photo because he thought it would cause admiration and he didn't stop to see the other side.

I could be way off base here but I think we should cut the guy some slack, he seems slightly immature and still finding out that not everyone is going to like him, some will be jealous of his lifestyle, some will take exception to his wearing his religion on his sleeve and some may think he is not the right player for Vancouver Canucks.

I for one hope we all give him a fair chance next season and put this amazing storm in a teacup to one side. It's going to be a long close season and I am just glad there is the European Championships and the Olympic Games round the corner. :)

I wonder where MG's philosophy of "bringing good character guys into the locker room" stands with this Booth trade. He got rid of Samuelsson, a beloved nice-guy in the locker room, for this young, religious American who kills innocent animals for fun. Now I know a person's beliefs are nothing to judge a person by, but surely the act of hunting defenseless animals reveals something of their personality.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable or trusting of having players on my team who would kill a peaceful animal for fun. You don't hear about guys like the Sedins, Malhotra or Hamhuis doing anything remotely close to this, but I suppose hunting is a non-issue for MG and ownership.

Its uneccesary therefore cruel. Would you like to be stalked and shot? Neither did that bear, plenty of poor animals already in the store for meat, and black bears have been poached for gall bladders in BC, why add to their plight?

r

I don't get how its cruel or unethical, they don't torture the animal. One shot kill is what the goal is.

No less ethical than buying chicken, pork or beef from a store. Peaople need to get off their high horse. Unless they are vegan, then you have an argument based on your views.

Disagreement does not equal believing oneself to better than another.

No, only when you make statements as if they were facts, not opinions.

And some people like to put down other people for their beliefs and act as if they are better than others from behind a computer screen....

To each their own!

God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

That's what Booth's religion says about that... on the first page.... so... not relevant...

I didn't look at the picture (never do with this stuff).

It's strange, I come from a long line of hunters, with my brother still hunting to this day. NEVER for trophies - it's always just been Dad/brother's way to obtain game and fowl for meat as consumption.

I never ever did get used to finding geese and ducks hanging by their necks at the back door, but grew to accept why they did it. I mean, anyone eating a chicken burger is a hypocrite to suggest hunting is cruel - as stated earlier, it's a more "humane" (for lack of a better word) way of killing animals for food than to mass farm them.

But to kill an animal for sport is not something I could ever support. Senseless and doesn't make you anymore of a man...actually, less because you've lost a fragment of empathy and kindness somewhere along the way.

The bow hunting videos i have seen are equally pathetic. The 'hunter' hides up in a tree on a protected platform. Then plants garbage on the ground beneath him. Lets be honest - most hunters leave barely any risk to themselves so its not even a sport. Unless the hunter actually needs meat, fur, bone its not really hunting in my books. The only way i could be happy about this, is if they bbq the meat up. And use the fur at least - although they probably dont need those things anyhow. Modern day hunting is a joke.

the only good that came out of this tweet was bieksas seemingly smartass reply asking if the bear had a crossbow too. hunting for sport makes no sense to me and i think less of anyone who does it. but i wouldnt expect anything more of a bible thumping yank like booth. clearly he doesnt love all of gods creatures! thou shalt not kill, buddy!

No doubt a city slicker hypocrite who has no idea where his steaks and Nikes come from. Special (Olympic) Ed is entitled his opinion, even when it is weak and wrong.

Good for Booth!! Nice black bear.

I'm going grizzly hunting this weekend - if I get one, I' call him Ed.

We've evolved to the point where we should remove ourselves from the REST of the animals on the planet.

Also the arguement of 'well everyone here pretty much eats domestic animals which is worse etc...'

Booth is doing both, killing wild animals (screwing up natural balance) AND eats domestic/store bought food.

You would think two evils are worse than one, no?

Archived