The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

PlayStation

Wow, that is the scariest thing I've read in this entire thread.

Agree to disagree I guess.

If Humans stop thinking that we are a part of this world, and the food chain, and nature, that is when the world will truly go to ruins.

Guaranteed if you we're lost in the woods and a hungry bear found you, he wouldn't think twice about us being part of nature or not.

We've evolved to the point where we should remove ourselves from the REST of the animals on the planet.

Also the arguement of 'well everyone here pretty much eats domestic animals which is worse etc...'

Booth is doing both, killing wild animals (screwing up natural balance) AND eats domestic/store bought food.

You would think two evils are worse than one, no?

It's the arrogance of humans setting themselves above nature and losing connection with nature that has led to the massive destruction of habitat that is teh true threat to wildlife on this planet. Not a controlled, scientific culling of certain pecies that are subject to horrible and slow death due to over populating their territory.

The "balance" of nature you refer to has not existed for a very long time. Humans have put things wrong. Even if it did, the law of the strongest survive is not a pretty sight for those who don't make the grade. Nature is harsh. It's not a petting zoo out there.

If you are truly concerned about the destruction of species, focus your energies on fishing techniques that drag the ocean floors for shrimp creating vast underwater deserts: how about the Japanese mass slaughter of dolphins that get caught in their fish nets; The destruction of rain forests to create farmland in South America.

Bears in Canada (BC at least) are in no danger and their population is actually increasing. Same with deer. The only sepcies at risk is teh mountain caribou and there has been no hunting of them for decades. They are becoming extinct because of habitat loss and an inability to deal with teh increase in back country recreation ( snowmobilers, heli skiiers, 4-wheelers). Far more dangerous to the sepcies in BC is the disturbance and destruction of habitat by recreational "riders" than a contolled hunt.

Why would Bieksa care about the "fairness" of a confrontation?? Isn't he the guy who fought little Patty Marleau in the playoffs last year? Not exactly an even matchup there....... In fact I think I saw a thread on here awhile back that said something about Bieksa beating his wife and his dog. True? Wouldn't surprise me.

Why would Bieksa care about the "fairness" of a confrontation?? Isn't he the guy who fought little Patty Marleau in the playoffs last year? Not exactly an even matchup there....... In fact I think I saw a thread on here awhile back that said something about Bieksa beating his wife and his dog. True? Wouldn't surprise me.

Very valid points.

As I've mentioned before, I think a lot of anger and disapproval is wrongly placed on Booth specifically, and should be towards man kind in general, including ourselves (me as well).

I think people went off about the bear being killed because it's right in our faces, and it was done by a well known NHL hockey player who happens to play for the local team.

I agree with all of your points, but is it too late? Have we done so much damage that we cannot restore balance.

And even if we could, would we (as a species) want to?

On one hand each of us has a will to survive, even when we shouldn't due to technology etc, but at the same time it's going to be our downfall.

Kind of a catch 22.

We've evolved to the point where we should remove ourselves from the REST of the animals on the planet.

Also the arguement of 'well everyone here pretty much eats domestic animals which is worse etc...'

Booth is doing both, killing wild animals (screwing up natural balance) AND eats domestic/store bought food.

You would think two evils are worse than one, no?

Very valid points.

As I've mentioned before, I think a lot of anger and disapproval is wrongly placed on Booth specifically, and should be towards man kind in general, including ourselves (me as well).

I think people went off about the bear being killed because it's right in our faces, and it was done by a well known NHL hockey player who happens to play for the local team.

I agree with all of your points, but is it too late? Have we done so much damage that we cannot restore balance.

On one hand each of us has a will to survive, even when we shouldn't due to technology etc, but at the same time it's going to be our downfall.

Kind of a catch 22.

Removing ourselves from nature is impossible.

We ARE nature. Or at least a part of it. You can think we are above it all if you want to, but good luck eating anything, drinking anything, et all.

We have one advantage that will lead us to decimate the planet for our own benefit. Our brains. Our biggest advantage has consequences for the rest of the planet.

Really it comes down to this: What kind of planet do you want to live on? One that is as "natural" as possible (I know, if humans are part of nature, then anything we do is also "natural", but suspend belief for a sec) and as close to "unspoiled" or "normal" as we know it so far. Or do you want a planet akin to what the robots were doing at the end of AI (the Spielberg movie) Where the world is a considered just a resource of energy to be used.

Do you like walking in the park - ever? Or would you prefer - always - to be in front of a computer terminal?

Everything we do effects the common consciousness that determines our future events. throwing one stone doesn't matter, but if 6 billion people throw stones it has effects.

Very valid points.

Kind of a catch 22.

I'm not a hunter, but I repect people who are.

It's a highly regulated business, and people who choose to do so by in large follow the rules, and the few law breakers pay huge penalties if caught.

It's not like Booth and his buddies just wandered out in the wilderness to shoot Bears.

First he had to purchase a lisence, then enter his name in a lottery, which he obviously won, then he had to hire a lisensed outfitter guide team, then fly there, hire transportation, pay for hotel and meals. Then hire a taxidermist, and meat packer. So that Bear he killed probably brought in 10 or 12,000 dollars or more for the local economy.

They are not allowed to shoot mothers or cubs or yearlings, as the mothers stay with the cubs for two years ,and there is only certain areas and certain times in spring and fall when hunting is allowed.

Infact 81 % of BC is protected from bear hunting.

Each year, out of the approx, 125,000 black bears in BC approx 4,000 (mostly adult males) are killed.

The mothers only breed every two years,(avg. 2 cubs per litter) as that is how long they stay with their cubs ( who are born weighing between 8 and 12 ounces, but thanks to the mothers milk being 33% fat, are able to grow more than 1000 times bigger than their birth weight.

The population is well managed and protected. Infact the the population of Black Bears, has increaed from approx 80,000 bears in 1870, to approx. 125,000 today.

I rescued a 10 pound cub my dog discoverd and tracked it and babysat it as it clung to a tree, and searched for bugs in the bark, and as it trusted us, it curled up on 2 crossing skinny branches a foot off the forest floor,and slept beside us for a couple of hours, until Wildlife rescue volunteers showed up, and then I carried it out of the forest in a small dog kennel. It was nourished in Gibsons for a few days and then sent to Bear rescue in Maple Ridge where it spent several months with a new family, before being released into the mountains with its new mother and siblings. This was a bear who's mother had been shot by some moron, not an honest hunter, as true hunters would never do that.

My point is to have faith in the hunters, the wildlife officers and volunteers who manage and protect wildlife in our beautiful country.

Thankyou.

Defenseless? Have you seen the teeth and claws on that beast. the size alone is extrodinary. What if the animal had killed booth? what would people say then. Ill tell ya. Ahh its a monster, it must be put down, its a danger to people all over the world! You want a real shame, when an animal kills a human and then people decide that it must be killed because its a "Danger". That in my view is complete garbage but i dont hear comments from people piping up then having a problem with it.

Yes, because specifically going into the bear's habitat to kill it = being randomly attacked by a bear in your home. Also, an animal really sands a chance against a couple of jerks with big guns. Honestly if Booth had gotten killed by the bear, I would say he got what was coming to him for doing something so stupid anyway.

Killing a magnificent animal like that just for fun is disgusting. Hunting for food is one thing, but hunting for the fun of killing something is another. People who get pleasure out of that are sick in the mind IMO.

I'm not a hunter, but I repect people who are.

It's a highly regulated business, and people who choose to do so by in large follow the rules, and the few law breakers pay huge penalties if caught.

It's not like Booth and his buddies just wandered out in the wilderness to shoot Bears.

First he had to purchase a lisence, then enter his name in a lottery, which he obviously won, then he had to hire a lisensed outfitter guide team, then fly there, hire transportation, pay for hotel and meals. Then hire a taxidermist, and meat packer. So that Bear he killed probably brought in 10 or 12,000 dollars or more for the local economy.

They are not allowed to shoot mothers or cubs or yearlings, as the mothers stay with the cubs for two years ,and there is only certain areas and certain times in spring and fall when hunting is allowed.

Infact 81 % of BC is protected from bear hunting.

Each year, out of the approx, 125,000 black bears in BC approx 4,000 (mostly adult males) are killed.

The mothers only breed every two years,(avg. 2 cubs per litter) as that is how long they stay with their cubs ( who are born weighing between 8 and 12 ounces, but thanks to the mothers milk being 33% fat, are able to grow more than 1000 times bigger than their birth weight.

The population is well managed and protected. Infact the the population of Black Bears, has increaed from approx 80,000 bears in 1870, to approx. 125,000 today.

I rescued a 10 pound cub my dog discoverd and tracked it and babysat it as it clung to a tree, and searched for bugs in the bark, and as it trusted us, it curled up on 2 crossing skinny branches a foot off the forest floor,and slept beside us for a couple of hours, until Wildlife rescue volunteers showed up, and then I carried it out of the forest in a small dog kennel. It was nourished in Gibsons for a few days and then sent to Bear rescue in Maple Ridge where it spent several months with a new family, before being released into the mountains with its new mother and siblings. This was a bear who's mother had been shot by some moron, not an honest hunter, as true hunters would never do that.

My point is to have faith in the hunters, the wildlife officers and volunteers who manage and protect wildlife in our beautiful country.

Thankyou.

I didn't look at the picture (never do with this stuff).

It's strange, I come from a long line of hunters, with my brother still hunting to this day. NEVER for trophies - it's always just been Dad/brother's way to obtain game and fowl for meat as consumption.

I never ever did get used to finding geese and ducks hanging by their necks at the back door, but grew to accept why they did it. I mean, anyone eating a chicken burger is a hypocrite to suggest hunting is cruel - as stated earlier, it's a more "humane" (for lack of a better word) way of killing animals for food than to mass farm them.

But to kill an animal for sport is not something I could ever support. Senseless and doesn't make you anymore of a man...actually, less because you've lost a fragment of empathy and kindness somewhere along the way.

What happened to not discussing players personal lives on this sight? So far I have seen 2 mods post 3 different times and neither one of them has mentioned this rule nor have they locked this thread.

This thread should have been locked long ago, if for anything to respect the personal lives of players.

IMO the mods have failed to adhere to the rules on these boards by not locking this, and have even broken the rules by posting their opinion.

Archived