Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
768 replies to this topic

#751 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

Meh. Never really cared about this situation as it's technically legal and therefore his choice (though, personally I don't like hunting). But once all the hooplah took over, media started chastising the Canucks org for Booth actions - I took notice.

So it's been like 1-2 weeks since he was told to take down the video. Canucks message: Take down the video down, think about it next time as it also affects us, and let this blow over. What does this guy do since then? Take a look at his twitter account. This guy just won't let it go. He's as bright as a burnt out light bulb. He's antagonistic, and frankly it's pathetic cause it reflects poorly on Canucks org. Clearly he didn't get the message, or he couldn't understand it - one or the other. I'm not a fan of this guy anymore. His season to forget, invisible performance in the playoffs followed up by comments essentially telling fans to take a hike, and now dragging out this nonsense?! I've seen enough of this guy in Vancouver.

#752 Ryan17Kesler17

Ryan17Kesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

Meh. Never really cared about this situation as it's technically legal and therefore his choice (though, personally I don't like hunting). But once all the hooplah took over, media started chastising the Canucks org for Booth actions - I took notice.

So it's been like 1-2 weeks since he was told to take down the video. Canucks message: Take down the video down, think about it next time as it also affects us, and let this blow over. What does this guy do since then? Take a look at his twitter account. This guy just won't let it go. He's as bright as a burnt out light bulb. He's antagonistic, and frankly it's pathetic cause it reflects poorly on Canucks org. Clearly he didn't get the message, or he couldn't understand it - one or the other. I'm not a fan of this guy anymore. His season to forget, invisible performance in the playoffs followed up by comments essentially telling fans to take a hike, and now dragging out this nonsense?! I've seen enough of this guy in Vancouver.

Really? This thread was as good as dead and you come here and post this? Sigh just let it die.

#753 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

I don't go on twitter, you post it...please?
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#754 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

between the accusations of the team diving, getting screwed over by refs' non-calls and invisible calls, and having to deal with media games, Booth's videos and tweets are probably the least of the franchise's worries.

#755 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

between the accusations of the team diving, getting screwed over by refs' non-calls and invisible calls, and having to deal with media games, Booth's videos and tweets are probably the least of the franchise's worries.

I disagree. I think his inability to let this go just further hurts the team. Some media writers (in other cities) are just looking for negative stories to write about Canucks. While that particular issue is not Booths fault, he just adds another 'to do' on Gillis's list. The last thing Gillis wants to deal with is some twitter issue that he 'thought' he dealt with already. He's trying to re-sign players, just signed the coach, looking towards the draft, dealing with goalie situation etc etc. I can't imagine he wants to deal with this Booth thing... again. Imagine if this was in the reg season, it'd be a huge distraction (a la Thomas) that he just won't let go. Just my take.

#756 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

Really? This thread was as good as dead and you come here and post this? Sigh just let it die.

This is the thread for this issue right? Meaning we are allowed to post things related to this issue? Just checking.

#757 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,164 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

#758 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

I hope he posts more hunting videos, just to piss all the tree huggin', peta kissin' hypocrite heroes off.

#759 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

what's the big deal

it's a legal activity. he is not hunting an endangered species. hunting is what humans do everyday. when u go eat a burger, u just let someone else do it for you.

at least bear meat is "organic". prob taste bad anyway.

but why do fans even care? it's not related to hockey.

Edited by Jaimito, 23 May 2012 - 07:29 PM.

Posted Image

#760 Ryan17Kesler17

Ryan17Kesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

This is the thread for this issue right? Meaning we are allowed to post things related to this issue? Just checking.

Or you could go back and see the 50 other posts that are similar to yours. It's easy to see that a consensus will not be reached so why reiterate the same points again?

#761 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Antagonistic? He's just randomly posting on twitter. You'd be a great media analyst with the way you blow what he does so far out of proportion. :lol:

#762 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

Booth is the guy who wont let the issue die apparently.

If he wants to bait and kill bears, he is free to, but he needs to be smart enough to shut up about it. Regardless of who is on his side or not, making that stuff public is only going to piss people off.

Nothing good will come from it. Nothing.

Has the guy never heard of tact?

Edited by hockeyville88, 24 May 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#763 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,313 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

what's the big deal

it's a legal activity. he is not hunting an endangered species. hunting is what humans do everyday. when u go eat a burger, u just let someone else do it for you.

at least bear meat is "organic". prob taste bad anyway.

but why do fans even care? it's not related to hockey.

Because it's BC and we're all hippies. Of course they'll get angry, and maybe Booth should have seen it coming. I didn't think it'd be this bad, though.

But it's also his fault for trying to fight back against the fans. First, he thought it was gonna work. Second, you're pissing off a fanbase who's already upset with you.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#764 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

Booth is the guy who wont let the issue die apparently.

If he wants to bait and kill bears, he is free to, but he needs to be smart enough to shut up about it. Regardless of who is on his side or not, making that stuff public is only going to piss people off.

Nothing good will come from it. Nothing.

Has the guy never heard of tact?

Uh no, he should not shut up about it.

If by tact you mean living your life according to people who think you should shut up about doing something legal that offends a small (but noticeably vocal/militant) population, I guess any person who likes what they do given these implications would naturally have no "tact". What he's doing isn't heinous, it's just killing a friggen bear. Some people don't like to see it, that's okay. They don't have to like it, but telling him to shut up about it is stupid and ridiculous. It's not like all he's doing is going around tweeting about the same bear -- he's not at all. If people don't like what he tweets they have the right not to f'ing look at his twitter page. It's not David Booth that needs to cater his rights to others, others need to respect his, back the hell off, and leave a non-issue alone.

Edited by hockeyville88, 24 May 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#765 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,897 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

This is probably a dead horse as well as a dead bear now, but to address the last comment: It's more than a small population that this legal activity offends....so much so that it's illegal in many (most?) places.

So it's not like it's something openly accepted and a matter of a mere few making a stir. Controversial for sure, so this is the outcome - people will talk.

Personally, over this long ago because it is his personal choice, legal, etc. But I understand that people are riled up about it and that's to be expected. And it can be described as heinous...it's basically the equivalent of walking into a petting zoo and taking aim. The baiting with garbage while perched in a tree is the part that makes it so.

Posted Image

#766 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

As far as I know, bear baiting is only illegal in BC and has something to do with the high grizzly concentration within our province, not because it's a hienous act.....at least that's what I've been told.
I've always been lead to believe that baiting is the more humane way to kill a bear as you can get a real close up look at the bear your going to kill.....make SURE there are no cubs, and it's a full grown adult male.

This is definitely getting into dead horse territory. I wish people would just leave him alone. If Booth was poaching, I could absolutely understand an outcry like this but he wasn't. He's just a young guy enjoying his time off doing what he was raised to do. If him being excited about it and tweeting about it pisses you off, please unfollow him on twitter and just move on. There is more than enough controversy surrounding this team and were just over a month into the offseason.
Posted Image

#767 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

This is stupid. You're allowed to post whatever you want on Twitter. I've seen people post death threats to others. If Marchand or Lucic posted a video of harpooning an Orca or whatever the media would be praising them for such an accomplishment or whatever BS

Honestly, no team next season is gonna be sitting in their locker room next season and thinking "#7 on their team legally hunted and killed a bear in the off season last year, let's go out and beat them!"

28mmdg5.jpg

Thanks to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome signature

#768 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

Uh no, he should not shut up about it.

If by tact you mean living your life according to people who think you should shut up about doing something legal that offends a small (but noticeably vocal/militant) population, I guess any person who likes what they do given these implications would naturally have no "tact". What he's doing isn't heinous, it's just killing a friggen bear. Some people don't like to see it, that's okay. They don't have to like it, but telling him to shut up about it is stupid and ridiculous. It's not like all he's doing is going around tweeting about the same bear -- he's not at all. If people don't like what he tweets they have the right not to f'ing look at his twitter page. It's not David Booth that needs to cater his rights to others, others need to respect his, back the hell off, and leave a non-issue alone.

Im not saying he isnt allowed to kill bears and post videos about it.

Im just saying that it was a dumb thing to do, and he would have to be pretty stupid to try it again. I dont think thats even up for debate, is it?

The public outcry would likely be far worse next time. He would be creating huge problems for him and his teammates for no good reason save his personal beliefs. He really does need to shut up before he drags the rest of the team into this.

And since bear baiting is illegal in half of the states, one of the countries where hunting is deeply ingrained as tradition, imagine how unpopular it is in other countries. Im pretty sure a majority of people around here do not think highly of what Booth did.

#769 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:43 AM

Probably has been said but this is exactly like Kony in the sense that everyone is losing their cool but in two weeks time nobody will even care anymore. Notice how that whole Kony 2012 fad died almost as soon as it started? The fact of the matter is what Booth did was not illegal. It's not wrong. I, for the record, think it's pretty pointless, but whatever, he's allowed to do it. If people have a problem with it, they need to get off their lethargic ass and actually do something about bear baiting. Protest? Start a petition. Don't just sit and whine on the internet. There's far too many crybabies on Facebook and in life in general. But people wont do anything of the such because, again, they really just don't care that much.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.