The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

PlayStation

i'm not a vegetarian. but i think there is a difference between killing a wild bear and a captive cow. I'm not opposed to killing animals, and indeed sometimes it is necessary because of overpopulation.

i've taken care of cows. cows are dumb as a rock. they don't have meaningful relationships. they go around being cows, eating and pooping, until one day someone hits them on the head real good. then we cut all the food off of them.

bears are beautiful. they're smart and depending on the kind of bear they're social, and curious. this may be an artificial or superficial line to make, but it's the same one that makes it easy to squash an ant, and hard to kill a dog.

there's a reason we shy away from killing whales and horses and dogs and dolphins. killing a bear, to me, falls in that category.

either way what really, really, bugs me about this whole thing, isn't even killing the bear. I can imagine good people, with different beliefs than mine, going out and killing a bear. but the way this image was just posted on twitter with the grins and everything, just makes it seem as if they didn't really care about this bear at all.

i've known hunters, and all of them have extreme respect for the animals they kill and extreme humility and thankfulness for nature, and animals in general. killing a bear should not be "oh hey, look what i did today" or "look at me, i'm such a man" or anything even remotely close. maybe it was just a clumsy move, but to me this oozes trophy killing.

what did this bear die for? food? booth ate the bear? or did this help booth's subsistence in any way? did it help anyone else's? or was it just a fun day out, coulda went out bowling but instead i shot a bear, look at me i'm so awesome?

Alot of people in this thread sound like the type of people where if a bear kills a kid or something and the RCMP has to come in and shoot the bear cause of it they would feel sorry for the bear....seriously get a grip

I agree with you about the end. I find it kind of uncomfortable that they're just smiling and having a good time while a dead animal is lying in front of them. Heck, Maybe i just dont have the same mindset as a hunter.

IMO, the only "humane" time to kill an animal is if its for self defence. Or overpopulation i guess. Or if its a threat. Clearly, Booth didnt seem like he was the one being hunted.

I dont hate Booth or hunters by any means, but i just dont understand them.

Though the part i dont agree with you is the Cow and the Bear. Yes, the Cow is dumb and the Bear is smart. But it doesnt mean that the Bear can be treated better than the Cow. And thats what it disgusts me, our society today pratically focus on protecting the "pretty" animals (that you mentioned above) first. Thats like saying "The beautiful people are top priority, son dont care about the ugly ones yet". See something wrong with it?

BTW, I also eat meat. So I'm at fault too. I just dont like the way the animals, that we eat, are being killed and kept captive.

How much useless crap do you have in your home? How many animals died because of it? Air pollution, water pollution, habitat destruction, etc. all kill animals. Do you give 2 craps about the effect buying a new phone every year has on animals?

Moral of this thread - It's okay to kill things as long as you do so indirectly. That way, you can feel morally superior without actually being morally superior.

i love meat and i love animals....but WE DONT NEED TO HUNT BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have other mindless animals to eat at our disposal. we dont need bear meat, no one does so its a waste of a beautiful animal!!!!!!! this is digusting in every meaning of the word, kinda like what trumps little pieces of crap kids did last month.......I WAS FUMING!!!!!!!!

in no way can you justify this, i dont care what you say or how you say it but killing and hunting bears for whatever reason is wrong!!!!!!!!!

people who wear fur for clothing are the biggest $%*^ ive ever seen in my life....YOU DONT NEED TO WEAR REAL FUR!!!!!!!!!!! you just dont, you wont live any longer and look any better....

So, cows are raised for meat, so that makes their inhumane treatment okay?

Crocodiles aren't raised for shoes and purses, and tuna aren't raised for canning, but no one is slamming anyone for that. Step back from the keyboard, before you do something dangerous - like assuming that your team owes you an explanation for anything, or that you pre-approve their off-ice activities.

:picard:

You're making alot assumptions- I have no leather prodcts, I eat mostly organic (local when possible) eat free range meats, bike everywhere and am planning on buying a hybrid type vehichle when I can afford it.

You're making alot assumptions- I have no leather prodcts, I eat mostly organic (local when possible) eat free range meats, bike everywhere and am planning on buying a hybrid type vehichle when I can afford it.

Well said. I am not a fan of hunting but I can acknowledge that habitat destruction is far, far worse than a limited harvest of said animal. Most environmental conservationists will admit that, moving forward, hunting has to be a part of the solution. My main concern is when it involves species at risk, such as grizzly's and wolves, because I think they seriously underestimate the amount of poaching, and the government intentionally inflates their estimates of population sizes because of the perceived economic benefits derived from trophy hunting.

So tired of hearing this. Hunters are not, as a rule, 'respectful of nature and all of gods creatures blah blah blah'. I've met A LOT of hunters in my time and I can honestly say that a large percentage of them are ignorant rednecks who openly admit to poaching and leaving badly wounded animals to die in the woods. iHunters are not, as a rule, 'respectful of nature and all of gods creatures blah blah blah'. I've met A LOT of hunters in my time and I can honestly say that a large percentage of them are ignorant rednecks who openly admit to poaching and leaving badly wounded animals to die in the woods. I'm not saying hunters are inherently bad people, but the ability to legally nherently bad people, but the ability to legallybuy weapons and head off into the bush to kill things isn't solely enjoyed by the pure at heart.

He announced he shot it. So we know it was Booth.

He took a photo with his buddies and they're all proud as little peacocks that their firearms were able to kill such a huge animal.

You tell me - do they look like they're doing this for FUN? Or do they look like they have such respect for the animal and the meat it will provide that they are being humble and respectful to the bear.

Come on... give your head a shake!!

I'm by no means an animal activist but this pic was pretty sad and disturbing

That's a beautiful creature that was killed for no reason at all. It was probably doing more good to the world than bad. Very sad to know that that's what some people do just for a bit of an adrenaline boost.

I actually lol'd. Yup those 'hunters got it tough up in that tree. So much so that i often hear of bears catching hunters and hunters falling out of trees. Another thing i have never seen a hunter go out alone. Its like theyre too scared to face a challenge. Will they have beer with them to celebrate an expectly easy victory over the bear? Are they going to have 'bear burgers and eat it?

So far anyone upporting hasnt made any strong points to me. Heres a senario where im cool with hunting a bear(besides one thats killing ppl). I decide i want to have some good ol fashion bear burgers. But since i dont really need them and its more for 'sport its only fair to challenge nature fairly. I would go out into the wild alone. With maybe some water, small rations and a hunting knife. I then build a shelter and carve out either a spear or a bow with arrows. Then i spend time hunting to the best of my abilities and only using what nature has provided me. If i kill a bear i eat it. Use the bones as a trophy(which would have far more meaning through this type of experience) and as well use the fur in my shelter.

To me that would not only be truely sporting, but as well hunting in the true meaning of the word. If i had happened to catch a small animal during my time in the wilderness, that would be fair use in 'baiting. To me this is the kind of true hunting experience. The rest is just exploiting our technology over nature like humans do.

Anyhow you wouldnt find me doing that because i dont need to. And im not interested in eating bear.

People here need to get off their high horses, this holier than thou attitude is laughable.

What about the corporations you pay for your chicken and eggs? You are directly funding the mistreatment of animals if you don't buy free range.

Archived