-2 presidents trophies

-1 SCF appearance

-Has not traded Cory Schneider

-Made Aquilini family a lot of money in 2011

-Signed Hamhuis

The Bad:

-Steve Bernier trade

-Mats Sundin 10 mill offer

-Not resigning Erhoff (lost #1 NHL PP quarterback and puck moving D-man)

-Not resigning Torres (toughness and cheap and perfect 4th line guy)

-addressed our 2011 offseason needs by signing a ton of useless players including Marco Sturm, Bitz, Mancari, Pinizzotto, Owen Nolan, Fedorik, Steve Begin and Duco.

The ugly:

-questioned the sedins character and waited until the last day to sign them.

-Ballard trade (lost pick Emerson Etem who is compared to Crosby and lost grabner). Ballard leads NHL in giveaways per min and has no offensive ability and  is 4.2M.

-hodgson trade ( Gillis didn't apologize for misdiagnoses from his staff for almost ruining his career from a severe back problem, hodgson recovered and played a phenomenal rookie year leading all rookies points per minute, then throwing the young kid under the bus who wanted more ice time and was playing better than Kesler per minute of ice time.

-Gillis changed the team strategy on deadline day from a 3 scoring line team to a marginally tougher team with only 2 scoring lines (makes no sense after letting Torres walk and struggling to score goals all year)

-didn't address defensive and power play problems at the draft

-Unethical-gillis treated Trevor Linden like crap when he was on the brink of retirement (surprised Trevor isn't part of Canuck management?)

-Disturbing- David Frost worked for Mike Gillis (who is banned from every arena in Ontario because of his long list of questionable activities..Sleeping with boys he represents, having sex parties with kids under 16, living with his players in hotel rooms. etc. .)

The Truth:

-Mike gillis should send a thank you letter to Burke and Nonis for acquiring the Canuck core (Sedins, Bieksa, Luongo, Schnieder, Kesler, Hansen and Burrows). 

-Mike gillis should not have thrown hodgson under the bus by saying "he spent more time on Cory then all other players combined over 3 years". Cory almost lost his career because of Gillis's mismanagement of his back problems. Gillis has set a new tone that he won't care about accompanying elite players reasonable needs like health (good luck signing Suter or Parise with that new attitude).

-Mike Gillis seems dishonest about his intentions with Cody. Gillis claims that they were trying to elevate Cody's stats this year with the intent of trading him for someone better. However if this is true then why was Cody only playing 11 minutes a night and never with top-6 players. 

-The Canucks tone is arrogant, whiners and divers.

If you blame AV for the Canucks disappointment this year then you're probably the type of person who also blames your kids' teacher when your kid is misbehaved during school. The teacher can only handle what's given to him and what tone they get from the top at home.

The Canucks need a GM who can keep his ego in check, who stops making risky trades, who doesn't change the team strategy during the season on deadline day, who keeps their drafted players happy, who accepts responsibility for mistakes ( example Ballard) and most importantly bring the Stanley Cup to Vancouver.

Canucks need new management ASAP

:picard:

2 Presidents Trophies, 2 Art Ross winners, and game 7 of the SCF say it all.

Also, the Sundin deal was 8.6 million, we had the cap space, why not use it? Kesler-Sundin-Demitra made Kesler in to the player he is today.

If you watched most of the games this year on sportsnet or listened to the team1040 then you would have noticed that people like Ian Macintire were supporting the Canucks all year round despite the fact that they were not winning games decisively. One of the only members of the media who noticed this was Dan Russell on 980am.

Most of the media are bashing the Canucks now but they were defending them and collecting cheques happily all year from Gillis.

If you think the media SIDES with Vancouver and Mike Gillis, you clearly have blinders on. The media is so anti-Vancouver that it makes Vancouver fans look good.

The Bad:

-Steve Bernier trade

-Mats Sundin 10 mill offer

-Not resigning Erhoff (lost #1 NHL PP quarterback and puck moving D-man)

-Not resigning Torres (toughness and cheap and perfect 4th line guy)

-addressed our 2011 offseason needs by signing a ton of useless players including Marco Sturm, Bitz, Mancari, Pinizzotto, Owen Nolan, Fedorik, Steve Begin and Duco.

If you watched most of the games this year on sportsnet or listened to the team1040 then you would have noticed that people like Ian Macintire were supporting the Canucks all year round despite the fact that they were not winning games decisively. One of the only members of the media who noticed this was Dan Russell on 980am.

Most of the media are bashing the Canucks now but they were defending them and collecting cheques happily all year from Gillis.

You forget who stole Ehrhoff from SJ in the first place, and who drafted CoHO in the first place.

David Frost? wtf who cares?? Dissed Trevor Linden? The guy that MG spared no expense in his retirement ceremony?

Sounds like you are making a rant for publicity like the media would do. Except your not getting paid, so you have no excuse.

OP seems like he's blaming Gillis for getting knocked out first round while blindly realizing the team was playing like garbage since January, and not just since the trade deadline.

Since when is Hodgson an elite Player? Hodgson never got top 6 and was only playing 11minutes 9btw he was playing 14-15 before he was traded) because he was extremely weak on the defensive end of things.

Sundin move was excellent because of the influence he had on other players. Many Canucks have stated Sundin made them much better players.

Grabner was knocked down to the Islander 4th line and is not that good. Remember he was waived once already.

Erhoff wanted way to much money and thought he had a better chance at winning a cup with the Sabres.

He managed to sign the Sedins for a steal by going over to Sweden, not sure when he questioned their character

You're way off on your opinion of Ballard.

I can't bother reading the rest of your drivel.

Steve Bernier trade? Trading an extra 3rd rounder and a 2nd rounder for a guy who just came off 9 point in 17 game finish with the Sabres, was a recent 1st round pick and looked (at the time) to be EVERYTHING the Sedins needed. Unfortunately, two things happened:

yes, a good GM doesn't trade draft picks like hot cakes and develops their own players. If a player, like bernier, has been played on multiple teams before the age of 26 then he is a risky player. Gillis said that he has acquired a top-6 forward when he made that trade. a bold and incorrect statement with the loss of 2 draft picks.

1. The Sedins & Steve didn't really click. (How the f*ck can you blame that on Gillis?) Every scout/analyst was saying the Sedins needed a right-handed big body who would go to the net a la Anson Carter to take their game to an elite level.

2. The Blues countered GMMG's move of offersheeting Backes and ruined the contract negotations.

Mats Sundin? Okay. First off, he never even signed for 10 million. He signed for 8.6 million. The bigger contract offer got Mats' attention, but clearly you or I have no idea how negotiations actually went down. The Sedins & Kesler ALL credit Sundin for helping them raise their game to the next level. Kesler's offensive breakout came when he was part of the RPM line (36 points in 41 games), who knows what would have happened without that mentorship? Nevermind the fact the Canucks had some serious cap space to burn regardless.

The contract offer to sundin should have been conditional based on fitness testing. he wasn't ready to play hockey.

He offered Ehrhoff a contract. Ehrhoff rejected it. Signing Ehrhoff to the stupid contract Buffalo offered him would have definitely sent the wrong message to players like Hamhuis and Bieksa who are much more important to the team.

he offered erhoff the same amount he offered bieksa. it's a $%@%ing insult to assume bieksa = erhoff. offensive defesemen like erhoff don't grow on trees and are a hot commodity in the NHL hence what we don't have right now. Erhoff counteroffered to Gillis but Gillis was so insulted that he told Erhoff to take a hike. Erhoff wanted to stay but he wanted 5.5 to 6M. He deserved that.

Torres went 22 games once without scoring a goal, was the picture of inconsistency and asked for a multi-year contract with almost double the dollar term. F*ck Torres.

torres has playoff experience and is a beast on any 4th line. Gillis is now changing the team strategy from scoring to toughness and size. torres fits that hold so it doesn't make sense he was let go at such a cheap salary hit. where's your head?

He never signed Fedoruk, Nolan or Begin. Fedoruk was mostly offered the tryout because he went through a similar tough time as Rick Rypien. If anything GMMG deserves a LOT of respect for trying to help a guy get back on track. 29 other teams didn't even try.

Pinner was useless because he was injured. Marco Sturm brought in David Booth. Bitz was injured most of the year and was signed as a 13th forward... Mancari was a huge help for the Wolves. Guess what? The AHL exists even if you don't watch it.

i don't give a $%#@ about the AHL, I want a cup

Negotiations didn't take a day for the Sedins. It just so happened that on the last day he had to grasp at the last straw. He got them. Who cares about anything else?

-should have signed them right away. they were just coming into their prime age.are you kidding me?

I don't know how many times the Ballard trade has to be explained. The Canucks had no left-sided defenseman to fill the hole where Hamhuis eventually got signed to play. Bernier was a cap dump. Grabner had no role on the team. If the Canucks hadn't traded for Ballard, Emerson Etem was NOT going to play top-4 defensive minutes. There weren't many good defenseman available. Luckily, GMMG managed to get Hamhuis and all would have been well. Can he tell the future? Probably not.

ballard is not the only left sided d-man in the NHL. But he sure is the most overpaid d-man in the NHL. This was a knee jerk move on draft day just like his knee jerk move on trade deadline day with hodgson this year. too much risk and no reward for gillis.

Hodgson wasn't better than Kesler. He was put in easier situations. His agent went to the coach and asked for more minutes. You don't need that drama in the lockerroom. No player is more important than the team, just ask David Poile who has been a GM for 30 years..

hodgson was outplaying kesler for a period of time in Jan/Feb. if kesler can't swallow his ego and be demoted to get inspired and hopefully play better then kesler isn't the same player he once was. hodgson is only getting better over time.

GMMG didn't treat Linden like crap? Do you not remember retirement night? AV underused Linden, but Linden credits AV as a great coach. So your point is moot. Linden doesn't work in management because he is heavily into real estate.

I am sure GMMG was unaware of Frost's disturbing antics.

i am glad you are sure.

Then Bowman should send one to Tallon & Burke should send one to Coates.

The truth is, neither Nonis nor Burke could get the Canucks past the 2nd round with that core. Heck, Nonis could hardly make the playoffs. GMMG took the extra steps in signing good role players (not Isbisters and Ritchies) and hiring better staff (Dave Gagner) as well as unorthodox things like sleep doctors because of the travel in Vancouver.

I'd add 'poor drafting' to his list of bad. In 4 yrs he's yet to add a single player to this team through the draft - that seems impossible. In the cap era drafting will be everything, I'm certain of it. We've seen the UFA pool weaken every summer since the cap introduction, it's created so much competition for a small pool and the cost for these players is through the roof - it will remain so. You need to have a variety of players in your organization instead of trading your future (draft picks) to make 'risky' trades or signings.

Positives - Off ice endeavors have added value to team (nutritionists, sleep dr.s etc). Although it's not a new idea, but I like that Sedins/Bieksa etc have signed for less under his management - though I'd admit it's 'likely' easier to get guys who've played together forever to sign at discounts (another reason to draft well).

But this teams image has taken a huge hit in the last yr, and other than bad drafting - this is the biggest issue. Who cares what the media thinks, the players have spoken and these are the guys you want to make your team attractive to. Nucks went from a team 'most players want to play on'1 to - not even cracking the top 5 a yr later2. They've become the most 'overrated'3 and produced a 1st round exit (earliest in 4 yrs). Certain players have garnered negative reputations around the league, so much that they turn up in almost every players poll in a negative light4,5. Gillis latest press conference blasting a former employee doesn't help. They need to do damage control, and he isn't the man to lead them IMO.

1http://www.cbc.ca/sp...ike-to-play-on/

2 http://www.playerspo...like-to-play-on

3 http://www.playerspo...am-is-overrated

4 http://sportsillustr.../content.9.html

5 http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1196298/index.htm

Clearly u are 12 years old op.

"i don't give a $%#@ about the AHL, I want a cup"

where do u think, burrows came from, or bieska... where do you think we develop our players. the damn farm, and u need to fill the farm with players so that u can have ur prospects playing on a good team, and be part of a winning atmosphere.

"should have signed them right away. they were just coming into their prime age.are you kidding me?"

he is right u have no idea how contract negotiations work...

"i don't think that boston or chicago put as much effort into sleep doctors when they won their Stanley Cups against the opposing conferences. moot point"

I want you to think very hard about why Gillis would hire sleep doctors for a team playing in VANCOUVER... A team whose closest road game is a 2 hour flight away, and routinely has to switch time zones to play other NHL teams. I wonder why boston, and chicago dont have to really worry about there sleeping situations as much... think carefully about where they are, and what kinda of travel they do.

Golly, what a fair and balanced op. I'm glad there is no bias or agenda in it. The strange reference to David Frost is particularly tactful and pleasant. I hope the maker of this thread has many more unique and original thread ideas to share with us in the very near future. Cheers.

TOML

Archived