The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis-The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Vancouvercup416

4 of those 5 teams at least have the 'opportunity' to win the Cup this year - something Canucks can not say. And more so, those 4 teams have made a number of significant additions to their team (over last yr) cause they didn't win the Cup. Their GMw realized last yrs team didn't get the job done, so they brought in some new faces who play larger roles. Resultantly, they've all either beat last years cup winner, or beat the teams most people believed would win the Cup this yr.

So does that mean Philly gm sucks,no cup

Capitals gm sucks,no cup

Preds gm sucks,no cup

Rangers gm sucks,no cup.

Leafs gm sucks,well ya they just suck.

So any gm that hasn't won a cup sucks?

Steve Bernier trade? Trading an extra 3rd rounder and a 2nd rounder for a guy who just came off 9 point in 17 game finish with the Sabres, was a recent 1st round pick and looked (at the time) to be EVERYTHING the Sedins needed. Unfortunately, two things happened:

1. The Sedins & Steve didn't really click. (How the f*ck can you blame that on Gillis?) Every scout/analyst was saying the Sedins needed a right-handed big body who would go to the net a la Anson Carter to take their game to an elite level.

2. The Blues countered GMMG's move of offersheeting Backes and ruined the contract negotations.

Mats Sundin? Okay. First off, he never even signed for 10 million. He signed for 8.6 million. The bigger contract offer got Mats' attention, but clearly you or I have no idea how negotiations actually went down. The Sedins & Kesler ALL credit Sundin for helping them raise their game to the next level. Kesler's offensive breakout came when he was part of the RPM line (36 points in 41 games), who knows what would have happened without that mentorship? Nevermind the fact the Canucks had some serious cap space to burn regardless.

He offered Ehrhoff a contract. Ehrhoff rejected it. Signing Ehrhoff to the stupid contract Buffalo offered him would have definitely sent the wrong message to players like Hamhuis and Bieksa who are much more important to the team.

Torres went 22 games once without scoring a goal, was the picture of inconsistency and asked for a multi-year contract with almost double the dollar term. F*ck Torres.

He never signed Fedoruk, Nolan or Begin. Fedoruk was mostly offered the tryout because he went through a similar tough time as Rick Rypien. If anything GMMG deserves a LOT of respect for trying to help a guy get back on track. 29 other teams didn't even try.

Pinner was useless because he was injured. Marco Sturm brought in David Booth. Bitz was injured most of the year and was signed as a 13th forward... Mancari was a huge help for the Wolves. Guess what? The AHL exists even if you don't watch it.

Negotiations didn't take a day for the Sedins. It just so happened that on the last day he had to grasp at the last straw. He got them. Who cares about anything else?

I don't know how many times the Ballard trade has to be explained. The Canucks had no left-sided defenseman to fill the hole where Hamhuis eventually got signed to play. Bernier was a cap dump. Grabner had no role on the team. If the Canucks hadn't traded for Ballard, Emerson Etem was NOT going to play top-4 defensive minutes. There weren't many good defenseman available. Luckily, GMMG managed to get Hamhuis and all would have been well. Can he tell the future? Probably not.

Hodgson wasn't better than Kesler. He was put in easier situations. His agent went to the coach and asked for more minutes. You don't need that drama in the lockerroom. No player is more important than the team, just ask David Poile who has been a GM for 30 years..

GMMG didn't treat Linden like crap? Do you not remember retirement night? AV underused Linden, but Linden credits AV as a great coach. So your point is moot. Linden doesn't work in management because he is heavily into real estate.

I am sure GMMG was unaware of Frost's disturbing antics.

Then Bowman should send one to Tallon & Burke should send one to Coates.

The truth is, neither Nonis nor Burke could get the Canucks past the 2nd round with that core. Heck, Nonis could hardly make the playoffs. GMMG took the extra steps in signing good role players (not Isbisters and Ritchies) and hiring better staff (Dave Gagner) as well as unorthodox things like sleep doctors because of the travel in Vancouver.

so, I gather you don't like Gillis. Just who would you have in his place? You sound like a disgruntled, retired unionized school teacher who only knows how to critic people but who has no better solution to offer up. Anyone can complain.

Since Gilis, the Canucks have reached a standard they never had in their history. They have two Presidents Trophies and a 7th SCF game. True, they do not have a Stanley cup under Gillis and neither do 24 other teams. I take it only perfect will work for you?

Typical bandwagon fan. You jump on when the teams is playing well and you want to blow the whole thing up when they hit a road block. Instead of being such a negative OP, perhaps you could share your obvious wisdom with CDC and tell us who will lead the team to the promised land if not Gillis. Please do not offer up Nonis or Burke. Been there, done that. LOL.

yes, a good GM doesn't trade draft picks like hot cakes and develops their own players. If a player, like bernier, has been played on multiple teams before the age of 26 then he is a risky player. Gillis said that he has acquired a top-6 forward when he made that trade. a bold and incorrect statement with the loss of 2 draft picks

If we signed ehrhoff then we have bieksa,ehrhoff,hamhuis Ballard locked up long term at 4+ million. Edler a FA next year.

So I don't mind letting hoff go.

The Ballard trade wasn't the best.

Kassian trade still don't know who won,so far buffalo has won

The only really bad thing in my opinion was letting Willie Mitchell go. But again we don't know the circumstances.

I have always said the CDC over-rates Gillis. I don't know why everyone here is so far up Gillis' ass. Everytime I said something negative about him, people would be all over me. The guy is so arrogant and is full of himself. I've always said that we're a good team because of the core that was put in by the previous regime. (you can look it up in my history if you got time)

In 4 years here, he only has Hamhuis to call his own. (his only addition that is of any significance). None of his draft pics have made it onto the big club and he traded away the one guy who did make it. There are alot of people around the league who don't like doing business with this guy (ie Kevin Lowe)

I have always said the CDC over-rates Gillis. I don't know why everyone here is so far up Gillis' ass. Everytime I said something negative about him, people would be all over me. The guy is so arrogant and is full of himself. I've always said that we're a good team because of the core that was put in by the previous regime. (you can look it up in my history if you got time)

In 4 years here, he only has Hamhuis to call his own. (his only addition that is of any significance). None of his draft pics have made it onto the big club and he traded away the one guy who did make it. There are alot of people around the league who don't like doing business with this guy (ie Kevin Lowe)

Gillis is ridiculously overrated,

Burke/DN guys

Sedin Sedin Burrows

......... Kesler .............

Raymond ......... Hansen

........ ......... .............

Edler Salo

....... Bieksa

....... ...........

Luongo

Schneider

AV

Gillis's guys

........ ......... ........

Booth ........ Higgins

......... Pahlsson .......

Malhotra Lappy Kassian

.............. ...........

Hamhuis ...........

Ballard Tanev

Lack

Browness

Brown

So all of our star/impact players are non Gillis guys and the top 4 is made up of 3 of Burke/DN guys and 1 Gillis guy. Gillis also let Mitchell go for Ballard, traded Hodgson for a bigger risk but has potential. I think Gillis could be a good or great GM but he has yet made his stamp on this team. I hated how he let Torres go for a risk in Sturm, this team is in win now re-sign Torres over Sturm as Torres fits with the team had chemistry and proven playoff guy. Gillis contract that he gave Luongo is ridiculous, I can forgive him on not finding an Ehrhoff replacement as that's not an easy task to do but I'd think having Hodgson as a chip would land that much needed puck moving D man. The bad contracts on the team are from Gillis Ballard and Booth were contracts Gillis traded for, gave Luongo the bad contract.

I like Gillis future plan to getting young, bigger and grittier but we'll see how well he execute it. He talks about being able to make big bold moves but keeps the core and doesn't cut AV loose, he's a great coach but they all have an expire dates and AVs has been up for awhile now.

There are so many dumb Canucks fans here, its unbelievable.

MIke Gillis is probably the best gm we ever had, and what he does is still not good enough. Bunch of dumb Canucks fans. You think being a gm is easy? I like to see if any of you idiots who gave the op a plus do a better job. He's in the business, of trying to win the stanley cup, and the result of the team, has shown, that Mike Gillis has progressively improved the team.

LIke I said being a gm, is not easy. Sometimes things work out, and sometimes, they don't but if you look at our record the 4 seasons he's been here, I will literally give him a Grade of an A, because, in the 4 years he's been here, no gm has won more regular season games, then he did. Of course we are short a STanley cup, but he's on working on that.

A lot of you canucks are just dumb as hell, to think Gillis is not a good gm. LIke what more do you want? Ok we didn't get past the 1 round. So I assume 8 other gms are going to lose their jobs? how bout the other 14 loser gms that couldn't even get into the playoffs? They lose their jobs?

There are so many dumb Canucks fans here, its unbelievable.

MIke Gillis is probably the best gm we ever had, and what he does is still not good enough. Bunch of dumb Canucks fans. You think being a gm is easy? I like to see if any of you idiots who gave the op a plus do a better job. He's in the business, of trying to win the stanley cup, and the result of the team, has shown, that Mike Gillis has progressively improved the team.

LIke I said being a gm, is not easy. Sometimes things work out, and sometimes, they don't but if you look at our record the 4 seasons he's been here, I will literally give him a Grade of an A, because, in the 4 years he's been here, no gm has won more regular season games, then he did. Of course we are short a STanley cup, but he's on working on that.

A lot of you canucks are just dumb as hell, to think Gillis is not a good gm. LIke what more do you want? Ok we didn't get past the 1 round. So I assume 8 other gms are going to lose their jobs? how bout the other 14 loser gms that couldn't even get into the playoffs? They lose their jobs?

So I assume you think any other gm that took over Nonis's job would have accomplished as much as he did? Dang I don't what the frack your problem is, just by reading your post, your someone that gets jealous rather easily. Mike Gillis has been nothing humble, and professional with the media, and everyone else unlike Brian Burke. He did something no other Canuck gm in NHL history has done.

You said, the core players were acquired by members of the old Regime. Thats true, but I'm going to give Mike Gillis credit for how the Sedins turned out to be. He had to convince a v to play an offensive game, and not only that, he brought Mats sundin, who literally turned the careers around for Sedins and Kesler.

But really guys, your all dumbasses, for not appreciating the job Gillis has done. I might call it a fluke, if we just won a division title instead of Presidents trophy, but cmon, back to back presidents trophy, that's no fluke, no matter how you spin it. Also the team he took over missed the playoffs, so he kinda had to start from scratch. Nuff said. Those who don't appreciate what Gillis is done. You can only judge a gm by the teams overall record of the duration while the gm was in charge, and I am pleased with what Gillis has done. Look at the record. It speaks for itself. Every year. Brian Burke, was rated as the "best trading" gm in the leauge, ok. Look at the result. Terrible. Good trades, but his team is still garbage.

MIke Gillis all the way, and i'm sorry to say, if you don't like Mike Gillis, too bad. He's going to be here for a long time.

Archived