The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis-The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Vancouvercup416

hey Baggins,

remember a few months ago we were having the conversation about how we treat our prospects/rookies? You said it was isolated to being Grabner/Shirokov's fault and I said if we don't treat them better we will continue to lose them. Remember that? Probably not.

All Coho, right? You are very entertaining. Don't ever give an inch, atta boy.

Here is the scoop on the media...this can be applied to any team in the NHL...

Ok just so you all know after 30 years working in the news business here are some facts... staff reporters for local papers and TV stations do not get payed by Gill's or the Canucks or the NHL.

However, reporters have been given the cold shoulder by players and management, also have not been allowed to travel with the team due to articles they have written.

The biggest problem that has most dismayed is how can the reporter write and say what they do, after watching the same game you did, and come up with the slant of the story.

RULE: 1 and 2 of sport reporting..

1. Sport reporters are not to be homers... Rule 2 Sport reporters are not to be homers... ok you get the message.

Problem is when it come to talking or reporting about the game... bad refs...bad calls...all the underlying dirt they never write about.

This is similar to the problems the NHL coaches have and upper management have to deal with it is called "FINES" for speaking out.

So why do reporters stay mum over the truth or turn a blind eye... it called knowing your roll.

Much like fines to the coaches and upper management reporters know one dirty little secret...

Ad's will be pulled if you continue to write about that subject... I've seen it...I've lived it...and I know it...

News Papers and TV news may give you a story, but is it the truth...somewhat...

As George Orwell said...

Early in life I had noticed that no event is ever correctly reported in a newspaper.

/user/42213-hamhuis-beard/">Hamhuis' Beard...

Sorry I forgot..here it is...."BALLS"

Here is the scoop on the media...this can be applied to any team in the NHL...

Ok just so you all know after 30 years working in the news business here are some facts... staff reporters for local papers and TV stations do not get payed by Gill's or the Canucks or the NHL.

However, reporters have been given the cold shoulder by players and management, also have not been allowed to travel with the team due to articles they have written.

The biggest problem that has most dismayed is how can the reporter write and say what they do, after watching the same game you did, and come up with the slant of the story.

RULE: 1 and 2 of sport reporting..

1. Sport reporters are not to be homers... Rule 2 Sport reporters are not to be homers... ok you get the message.

Problem is when it come to talking or reporting about the game... bad refs...bad calls...all the underlying dirt they never write about.

This is similar to the problems the NHL coaches have and upper management have to deal with it is called "FINES" for speaking out.

So why do reporters stay mum over the truth or turn a blind eye... it called knowing your roll.

Much like fines to the coaches and upper management reporters know one dirty little secret...

Ad's will be pulled if you continue to write about that subject... I've seen it...I've lived it...and I know it...

News Papers and TV news may give you a story, but is it the truth...somewhat...

As George Orwell said...

Early in life I had noticed that no event is ever correctly reported in a newspaper.

I'll start by saying I have had Center Ice for the last 5 years and have watched every Canucks game including playoffs.

This year if I watch Gillis spend another summer signing half arsed 3rd and 4th liners and doing nothing to address the small little soft forward issue including the 3rd line then I will be saving 240 bucks this year.The same type of lineup next year with the same gum chewing,I'll just submit a lineup card on gameday and do nothing that looks like coaching will guarantee it.

When all is said and done, I truly believe that Gillis has no balls when it comes to having to overpay to get skilled size on this team.David Booth,what a joke.The guy has never seen a playoff game and Gillis trades for him when the Canucks are in the throws of an ever closing window to win it all.Seriously Mike couldn't have looked around the entire league and found ,oh I don't know,a Jeff Carter. Now that Gillis knows what he has in Booth the guy should absolutely be trade bait this summer.Kesler seems to have no use for him so there isn't any place else to put Booth in this lineup.Package the dude with Ballard and try and get interest for a big winger for the twins. LA managed to get Carter and Richards wwithin a year,maybe Mikey boy should talk to an obviously skilled GM about how that works.If your argument is cap space,look what Gillis has spent said cap on and tell yourself if he got get bang for the buck,especially after everyone is so pleased that he got the core to sign for less.Let's not get started on Ballard and Booth or Raymond.

I am truly concerned that Gillis will trade Schneider this year knowing full well that Lu is the one who should move.I think he is going to float both names before July 1st and see which will fetch him the best deal.Money says Schneider.The problem is,he'll probably get some speedy little guys that will get pounded around like so many others on this team come the playoffs.

Gillis' personel movement since taking over has been spotty, at best. The deals to get Ehrhoff, Higgins and Lapierre were good. Pretty much every other move has blown chunks.

I'm not even a big fan of the Hamhuis signing, given that he has been put in the position of being our number one defenseman, a spot he is clearly not suited for.

One issue that wasn't adressed by the OP is all the talent that has walked away from this club with no compensation under Gillis' watch.

Naslund, Morrison, Ohlund, Mitchell, Ehrhoff, Torres...and I'm sure I've missed one or two players.

All I can say that, if I'd been running the team, it would look a lot different today based on whether I agreed or disagreed with the moves Gillis made at the times that he made them...

- I would have resigned Mitchell to a short term deal to see how he recovered from the concussion.

- I would never have made the Grabner deal.

- I wouldn't have had the cap space to sign Hamhuis.

- I would have resigned Ehrhoff.

- I wouldn't have made the Hodgson for Kassian deal. Instead, I likely would have gambled this season and offered Hodgson, Schneider, Raymond and my first pick for Nash and Sanford.

That would have left the lineup looking something like this...

Daniel / Henrik / Burrows

Nash / Kesler / Grabner

Higgins / Lapierre / Samuelsson

Hansen / Malhotra / Bernier

Ehrhoff / Edler

Bieksa / Mitchell

Salo / Rome

Luongo

Sanford

With a cap hit of 62.975 million, there would be some tough decisions to make this summer, but I'm pretty confident that that team would still be playing, as long Luongo stayed healthy.

Does anyone have a link to (or the ability to make) a list of all Gillis transactions? It would be interesting to look at all the things he's done in order to evaluate things in black and white rather than fuzzy recollection.

I'll start by saying I have had Center Ice for the last 5 years and have watched every Canucks game including playoffs.

This year if I watch Gillis spend another summer signing half arsed 3rd and 4th liners and doing nothing to address the small little soft forward issue including the 3rd line then I will be saving 240 bucks this year.The same type of lineup next year with the same gum chewing,I'll just submit a lineup card on gameday and do nothing that looks like coaching will guarantee it.

When all is said and done, I truly believe that Gillis has no balls when it comes to having to overpay to get skilled size on this team.David Booth,what a joke.The guy has never seen a playoff game and Gillis trades for him when the Canucks are in the throws of an ever closing window to win it all.Seriously Mike couldn't have looked around the entire league and found ,oh I don't know,a Jeff Carter. Now that Gillis knows what he has in Booth the guy should absolutely be trade bait this summer.Kesler seems to have no use for him so there isn't any place else to put Booth in this lineup.Package the dude with Ballard and try and get interest for a big winger for the twins. LA managed to get Carter and Richards wwithin a year,maybe Mikey boy should talk to an obviously skilled GM about how that works.If your argument is cap space,look what Gillis has spent said cap on and tell yourself if he got get bang for the buck,especially after everyone is so pleased that he got the core to sign for less.Let's not get started on Ballard and Booth or Raymond.

I am truly concerned that Gillis will trade Schneider this year knowing full well that Lu is the one who should move.I think he is going to float both names before July 1st and see which will fetch him the best deal.Money says Schneider.The problem is,he'll probably get some speedy little guys that will get pounded around like so many others on this team come the playoffs.

So, I guess your saying that Boston, Detroit, and Pittsburgh all need to fire their GM's too because they lost in the first round too. After watching the first round end, I have accepted its just a crazy year for cinderella teams.

The boys needed the rest, theyve played a lot of hockey in the last few years...and it will refresh them and get them extra motivated for next year. I dont think there is anything wrong with this team. It needs to be tweaked, but not dismantled. Gillis has built us the best team that we have ever had...by adding and subtracting key guys.

BTW I am GLAD Torres was gone, what good is playoff experience when your suspended for 25 games anyways? He made the exact same hit last year on Seabrook when he played for the Canucks, actually Seabrooks hit was 10 times worse.

I have always said the Canucks will win in it in 2013......

Why mess up a good thing. LA just has the right tools at the right time, like we did last year...unfortuantly by the time we got to the finals last year, most of our main guys were injured, and couldnt compete against the healthy/ dirty Boston Bruins...

Meh, its spring time now, I am actually enjoying the weather rather than sitting on here and trying to get Gillis fired on the CDC website hahaha...

Gillis will be back next year. AV...I wouldnt be surprised if hes gone, but I would like him to stay too. I like AV. I think the team does too.....Who is better than AV anyways?? Please dont say whinny Mctavish !! What did he do with the Oilers?? Nothing!

Gillis' personel movement since taking over has been spotty, at best. The deals to get Ehrhoff, Higgins and Lapierre were good. Pretty much every other move has blown chunks.

I'm not even a big fan of the Hamhuis signing, given that he has been put in the position of being our number one defenseman, a spot he is clearly not suited for.

One issue that wasn't adressed by the OP is all the talent that has walked away from this club with no compensation under Gillis' watch.

Naslund, Morrison, Ohlund, Mitchell, Ehrhoff, Torres...and I'm sure I've missed one or two players.

All I can say that, if I'd been running the team, it would look a lot different today based on whether I agreed or disagreed with the moves Gillis made at the times that he made them...

- I would have resigned Mitchell to a short term deal to see how he recovered from the concussion.

- I wouldn't have made the Hodgson for Kassian deal. Instead, I likely would have gambled this season and offered Hodgson, Schneider, Raymond and my first pick for Nash and Sanford.

Nash / Kesler / Grabner

Ehrhoff / Edler

Bieksa / Mitchell

Salo / Rome

Luongo

Sanford

With a cap hit of 62.975 million, there would be some tough decisions to make this summer, but I'm pretty confident that that team would still be playing, as long Luongo stayed healthy.

Nash / Kesler / Grabner

Ehrhoff / Edler

Bieksa / Mitchell

Salo / Rome

Luongo

Sanford

Gillis is ridiculously overrated,

Burke/DN guys

Sedin Sedin Burrows

......... Kesler .............

Raymond ......... Hansen

........ ......... .............

Edler Salo

....... Bieksa

....... ...........

Luongo

Schneider

AV

Gillis's guys

........ ......... ........

Booth ........ Higgins

......... Pahlsson .......

Malhotra Lappy Kassian

.............. ...........

Hamhuis ...........

Ballard Tanev

Lack

Browness

Brown

So all of our star/impact players are non Gillis guys and the top 4 is made up of 3 of Burke/DN guys and 1 Gillis guy. Gillis also let Mitchell go for Ballard, traded Hodgson for a bigger risk but has potential. I think Gillis could be a good or great GM but he has yet made his stamp on this team. I hated how he let Torres go for a risk in Sturm, this team is in win now re-sign Torres over Sturm as Torres fits with the team had chemistry and proven playoff guy. Gillis contract that he gave Luongo is ridiculous, I can forgive him on not finding an Ehrhoff replacement as that's not an easy task to do but I'd think having Hodgson as a chip would land that much needed puck moving D man. The bad contracts on the team are from Gillis Ballard and Booth were contracts Gillis traded for, gave Luongo the bad contract.

I like Gillis future plan to getting young, bigger and grittier but we'll see how well he execute it. He talks about being able to make big bold moves but keeps the core and doesn't cut AV loose, he's a great coach but they all have an expire dates and AVs has been up for awhile now.

Archived