The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis-The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Vancouvercup416

1. I doubt Gillis waited until the last day before free agency to trade the Sedins. Signing them has got to be on the good list, especially since he even went to Sweden for a more personal touch/signing for them.

2. Most of his moves are in hindsight now. I mean Ballard. When we got him everyone loved it, but now as he has underperformed (also hasn't been used as he should most nights) the acquistion of him isnt that great.

3. Sundin signing was a good one. Helped develop Kesler into the offensive player he is now. Money was a bit much, but at the end of the day that 8.6M we paid him for has turned into a bargain for how well Kesler has done now.

4. And finally, he has made this team a contender. A SCF appearance, 2 Presidents Trophy, A Selke Trophy, 2 Art Ross Trophy, and more. Yes, you can say these are down to the players but the management are the ones that get the players, keep them and develop them so they can perform like this.

The good:

-2 presidents trophies

-1 SCF appearance

-Has not traded Cory Schneider

-Made Aquilini family a lot of money in 2011

-Signed Hamhuis

The Bad:

-Steve Bernier trade

-Mats Sundin 10 mill offer

-Not resigning Erhoff (lost #1 NHL PP quarterback and puck moving D-man)

-Not resigning Torres (toughness and cheap and perfect 4th line guy)

-addressed our 2011 offseason needs by signing a ton of useless players including Marco Sturm, Bitz, Mancari, Pinizzotto, Owen Nolan, Fedorik, Steve Begin and Duco.

The ugly:

-questioned the sedins character and waited until the last day to sign them.

-Ballard trade (lost pick Emerson Etem who is compared to Crosby and lost grabner). Ballard leads NHL in giveaways per min and has no offensive ability and is 4.2M.

-hodgson trade ( Gillis didn't apologize for misdiagnoses from his staff for almost ruining his career from a severe back problem, hodgson recovered and played a phenomenal rookie year leading all rookies points per minute, then throwing the young kid under the bus who wanted more ice time and was playing better than Kesler per minute of ice time.

-Gillis changed the team strategy on deadline day from a 3 scoring line team to a marginally tougher team with only 2 scoring lines (makes no sense after letting Torres walk and struggling to score goals all year)

-didn't address defensive and power play problems at the draft

-Unethical-gillis treated Trevor Linden like crap when he was on the brink of retirement (surprised Trevor isn't part of Canuck management?)

-Disturbing- David Frost worked for Mike Gillis (who is banned from every arena in Ontario because of his long list of questionable activities..Sleeping with boys he represents, having sex parties with kids under 16, living with his players in hotel rooms. etc. .)

The Truth:

-Mike gillis should send a thank you letter to Burke and Nonis for acquiring the Canuck core (Sedins, Bieksa, Luongo, Schnieder, Kesler, Hansen and Burrows).

-Mike gillis should not have thrown hodgson under the bus by saying "he spent more time on Cory then all other players combined over 3 years". Cory almost lost his career because of Gillis's mismanagement of his back problems. Gillis has set a new tone that he won't care about accompanying elite players reasonable needs like health (good luck signing Suter or Parise with that new attitude).

-Mike Gillis seems dishonest about his intentions with Cody. Gillis claims that they were trying to elevate Cody's stats this year with the intent of trading him for someone better. However if this is true then why was Cody only playing 11 minutes a night and never with top-6 players.

-The Canucks tone is arrogant, whiners and divers.

If you blame AV for the Canucks disappointment this year then you're probably the type of person who also blames your kids' teacher when your kid is misbehaved during school. The teacher can only handle what's given to him and what tone they get from the top at home.

The Canucks need a GM who can keep his ego in check, who stops making risky trades, who doesn't change the team strategy during the season on deadline day, who keeps their drafted players happy, who accepts responsibility for mistakes ( example Ballard) and most importantly bring the Stanley Cup to Vancouver.

Canucks need new management ASAP

I agree with some of your points. I still blame AV for ignoring rookies and the terrible line management throughout the season. I would rather see a rookie get his chances and struggle from time to time than watcha burnt out veteran suck meaningful minutes.

OP seems like he's blaming Gillis for getting knocked out first round while blindly realizing the team was playing like garbage since January, and not just since the trade deadline.

Since when is Hodgson an elite Player? Hodgson never got top 6 and was only playing 11minutes 9btw he was playing 14-15 before he was traded) because he was extremely weak on the defensive end of things.

Sundin move was excellent because of the influence he had on other players. Many Canucks have stated Sundin made them much better players.

Grabner was knocked down to the Islander 4th line and is not that good. Remember he was waived once already.

Erhoff wanted way to much money and thought he had a better chance at winning a cup with the Sabres.

He managed to sign the Sedins for a steal by going over to Sweden, not sure when he questioned their character

You're way off on your opinion of Ballard.

I can't bother reading the rest of your drivel.

I'd add 'poor drafting' to his list of bad. In 4 yrs he's yet to add a single player to this team through the draft - that seems impossible. In the cap era drafting will be everything, I'm certain of it. We've seen the UFA pool weaken every summer since the cap introduction, it's created so much competition for a small pool and the cost for these players is through the roof - it will remain so. You need to have a variety of players in your organization instead of trading your future (draft picks) to make 'risky' trades or signings.

Positives - Off ice endeavors have added value to team (nutritionists, sleep dr.s etc). Although it's not a new idea, but I like that Sedins/Bieksa etc have signed for less under his management - though I'd admit it's 'likely' easier to get guys who've played together forever to sign at discounts (another reason to draft well).

But this teams image has taken a huge hit in the last yr, and other than bad drafting - this is the biggest issue. Who cares what the media thinks, the players have spoken and these are the guys you want to make your team attractive to. Nucks went from a team 'most players want to play on'1 to - not even cracking the top 5 a yr later2. They've become the most 'overrated'3 and produced a 1st round exit (earliest in 4 yrs). Certain players have garnered negative reputations around the league, so much that they turn up in almost every players poll in a negative light4,5. Gillis latest press conference blasting a former employee doesn't help. They need to do damage control, and he isn't the man to lead them IMO.

1http://www.cbc.ca/sp...ike-to-play-on/

2 http://www.playerspo...like-to-play-on

3 http://www.playerspo...am-is-overrated

4 http://sportsillustr.../content.9.html

5 http://sportsillustr...96298/index.htm

hey Baggins,

remember a few months ago we were having the conversation about how we treat our prospects/rookies? You said it was isolated to being Grabner/Shirokov's fault and I said if we don't treat them better we will continue to lose them. Remember that? Probably not.

All Coho, right? You are very entertaining. Don't ever give an inch, atta boy.

Too bad for the Canucks and their fans.

The franchise chose to play Kesler,coming off hip surgery and nursing a shoulder in need of an operation, over a rookie that could have used playing time and was fourth on team scoring.

Posted Yesterday, 05:56 AM

View Post Baggins, on 02 May 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

I don't recall him(Gillis) questioning the Sedins character at all.

***********************************************************************************

Two months ago, at his first press conference in charge of the Canucks, Gillis offered only a tepid endorsement of Daniel and Henrik and said:

"I don't think the group of forwards right now are ready to compete. I don't know if they [the Sedins] are players the team will be built around moving forward."

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=39651

Posted Yesterday, 05:56 AM

View Post Baggins, on 02 May 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

I don't recall him(Gillis) questioning the Sedins character at all.

***********************************************************************************

Two months ago, at his first press conference in charge of the Canucks, Gillis offered only a tepid endorsement of Daniel and Henrik and said:

"I don't think the group of forwards right now are ready to compete. I don't know if they [the Sedins] are players the team will be built around moving forward."

http://canucks.nhl.c...ge.htm?id=39651

I think you're bang on with your team and that would have been the SC favourite for sure. Though I will of course point out that hindsight is 20/20 and sometimes a GM must react to individual circumstances, like the opportunity to get a player like Ballard at the time was something that would garner quite a bit of consideration for any GM. In hindsight Gillis gave up way to much, but realistically at the time Ballard was worth it, and may still pan out to be worth it if AV can start utilizing his skillset properly. Of course a player like Ballard would probably succeed much more in the Eastern Conference, where the games are much wider open.

As for the Grabner deal...

Say all you want about Grabner and Bernier, this was a terrible deal. Gillis took one of his top prospects that can score 30 to 40 goals in the NHL, a big, strong forward that was giving them the same production that Hansen is now on the third line and his first round pick and traded them for an undersized defenseman who may be a 2nd pairing guy at the best of times and a fourth line scrub that looks like he'll spend most of the rest of his career in the AHL.

He should have gotten A LOT more in return in that deal. It was a bad deal, regardless of what you may think about Grabner and Bernier.

Is it all the success that Gillis, the Canucks and the fans have enjoyed over the last three seasons that makes us panic when there is a slight blip in the radar?

As a long time fan of this team I've seen incompetent GMs, coaches, and players come and go; seasons where the only fun was watching Messier spring Bure on a breakaway shorthanded; seasons where we were so bad you could walk down to the lower bowl and take any seat you wanted after the first period...empty building, baby. Peter Zezel, Joey Kocur, and Denis Pedersen say "Hi". Watching Mike Keenan systematically dismantle the team. Baaaaaddddd daaaayysss!

There is no reason to panic and take this recent success for granted. Is this the right GM to get us over the top? We've never been closer to an answer. He's brought so much to the table. He's attempted to improve the club in every way. Gillis is bright and confident. Is he always right? No, but no one is in this unpredictable NHL landscape. I'm of the opinion he has made more good moves than bad. It has never been better to be a Canuck fan.

Two years ago everything turned to gold, this year we had a ton of adversity, next year...yeah I know "next year"...is a new season and hope springs eternal.

You go Gillis!

Archived