The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Realistically Do You Think Canucks Will Sign Weber Etc

Patrick Jane

Yah but getting Chris Pronger was basically like punching your ticket to the SCFs, Weber has never even been close to the big dance. To say Weber and Pronger are virtually the same player is just not true, at least not yet. Though I do think you're right that prying Weber from Nashville will take a trade package of astronomic proportions.

There are 3 questions:

1. Can the Preds resign Weber?

2. How bad does he (or Suter) want to be there.

3. If no, can the Canucks sign him?

Answer to #1 depends, largely, I think, on how the Preds do in the playoffs for 2 reasons. First, Weber needs to feel like they are contenders. Secondly, the team desperately needs this extra revenue with which to have a shot at signing Weber and generally having the cash they need to compete.

I think that is a big part of why the Preds are all about being "all in" this year--because they need success (playoff tickets) to bring in the cash they will need to be a serious team (ie. spending more on salary). I have to admit, hockey is taking off there and if they make the next round, they will may gamble on future success and spend way more than they have before.

As for #2. Who knows besides the players. And, obviously it depends partly on #1.

As for #3. Who knows. Such a long shot. No doubt, we'd have to dump some cap-hogs (who wants Ballard?). But it could happen in theory. I'd take either of those guys in the 7mil range.

Really it is up to Weber.

If he does not agree to sign an extension, then they have to trade him before July 1st. The option of maching a 1yr offer sheet and losing him after one season is not an option they can go with.... especially since refusing to sign a long term contract again, even in the face of Nashville spending more money on their roster would be a pretty huge signal about his intentions.

If that is the scenario (and I am not convinced it is)... then we could easily put together a package that is better than the offer sheet compensation of two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

If Nashville could get a package of Edler; a high 1st round (that we could get in a Luongo trade); the rights to Raymond; and either Hansen or Higgins.... then that would look pretty good to them.

Weber basically has the total say in where he goes in this scenario. He has to agree to sign an offer sheet and will only do it to a place he wants to go to (some people seem to think a team can just tender an offer sheet and the player is forced to accept it... that isn't true).

OR he will have to agree to a sign and trade because there is no way anyone, including us, gives a decent return unless we know we have him locked up long-term.

I suspect that Vancouver or Detroit would look pretty good to Weber if he planned on moving from Nashville... and Nashville would be much more willing to trade with us than Detroit.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Ryan Malone ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.925m)

Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.525m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Shea Weber ($7.500m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Sami Salo ($2.000m)

Shaone Morrisonn ($2.075m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

Curtis Sanford ($0.600m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,950,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,350,000

Really it is up to Weber.

If he does not agree to sign an extension, then they have to trade him. The option of maching a 1yr offer sheet and losing him after one season is not an option they can go with.... especially since refusing to sign a long term contract again, even in the face of Nashville spending more money on their roster would be a pretty huge signal about his intentions.

If that is the scenario (and I am not convinced it is)... then we could easily put together a package that is better than the offer sheet compensation of two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

If Nashville could get a package of Edler; a high 1st round (that we could get in a Luongo trade); the rights to Raymond; and either Hansen or Higgins.... then that would look pretty good to them.

Weber basically has the total say in where he goes in this scenario. He has to agree to sign an offer sheet and will only do it to a place he wants to go to (it isn't teams just tendering offer sheets and him having to accept it).

OR he will have to agree to a sign and trade because there is no way anyone, including us, gives a decent return unless we know we have him locked up long-term.

I suspect that Vancouver or Detroit would look pretty good to Weber if he planned on moving from Nashville... and Nashville would be much more willing to trade with us than Detroit.

that is somewhat true, pronger never was in the scf before he got to edm...but still i know what your saying. weber and pronger are "virtually" the same player i said, pronger is a better puck mover/first pass guy and he is little meaner and mobile but weber is still growing so he might get there in time. dont forget pronger was playing on some pretty good teams when he went to the finals and webers preds have never had playoff dominating team that anyone could take seriously.....if you put weber on this team with the sedins, kesler, hamhuis, burrows, and schneider...i think its a safe bet that you can pencil in the canucks in the scf

Offer sheets are made to the player, not the team. It's actually a good way to go where you want or get the money you want from your team. The only thing is that the player doesn't have control over the team matching or not.

Personally i don't see any of this happening. The only way i see MG doing anything extreme is if Luo waives his NTC and requests a trade, then and only then will some of the above trades or signings occur. This is an awsome team that hit a speed bump, some of the pieces were missing this year, mostly work ethic and desire, hopefully the team gets it all together next year and pulls of what we all know that they can do, and that is bring home the cup!

Personally i don't see any of this happening. The only way i see MG doing anything extreme is if Luo waives his NTC and requests a trade, then and only then will some of the above trades or signings occur. This is an awsome team that hit a speed bump, some of the pieces were missing this year, mostly work ethic and desire, hopefully the team gets it all together next year and pulls of what we all know that they can do, and that is bring home the cup!

I really don't see Weber coming to Vancouver considering he's the captain of Nashville and all.. And what would we give them?? Raymond? Malholtra? Luongo?? There's no way they would take something like Raymond, Malholtra, and a 2nd Round pick or whatever, and there's no way they want Luo considering they already have Pekka Renne (sorry if his name is spelt wrong) behind the pipes

Archived