The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Realistically Do You Think Canucks Will Sign Weber Etc

Patrick Jane

I think realistically they have to decide on both or neither. If Suter doesn't re-sign then Weber won't want to stay... vice versa as well. would Suter sign a long term deal knowing Weber is leaving?

If they aren't both kept, it is not a remote scenario where we see Suter signing in Detroit as a UFA and Weber being traded here.

ive said it before and ill say it again...we have just as good of chance of being webers new team as anyone does

- i dont think suter or weber have had any intention on re-signing in nashville, no matter how well they do this season. they can see the same thing we can, that isnt a sturdy market for hockey so the owner will want to cut back on spending money on quality players...when a player is an rfa or ufa and they only sign a 1 year extension, its never a good sign...

- weber will be wanting big money and he has good reason to, he his in most peoples eyes the best defenseman in the NHL. 7.5m is a reasonable number for weber and for the team signing him to an extension.

- obviously the only way he gets out of nashville this summer is through trade and that the way i expect it to go down. if suter walks, then why would nsh keep weber when they know he isnt re-signing an extension. his value will be the highest between july 1st and the beginning of sep because he is RFA, teams will be getting desperate, teams will have more pieces to move then any point of the season and nsh should want him out so that they can move on with life without suter and weber anchoring the franchise.

- now his trade value is gonna be through the roof, im not being sarcastic its gonna be something we have never seen before...heres the package pronger got...twice

Edmonton Oilers traded Chris Pronger to the Anaheim Ducks for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, a 1st round selection in 2007, a conditional 1st round selection and a 2nd round selection in 2008.

Anaheim Ducks traded Chris Pronger and Ryan Dingle to the Philadelphia Flyers for Joffrey Lupul, Luca Sbisa, a 1st round selection in 2009, a 1st round selection in 2010 and a conditional round selection in 2010 or 2011.

dont forget that was for pronger when he was 31 and 34...can you imagine the package it would take to get weber when he is 26 and they are virtually the same player

it would take 3-4 roster players, 1-2 high prospects, and 1st pick or two.....obviously give or take depending on the exact package

I really don't see Weber coming to Vancouver considering he's the captain of Nashville and all.. And what would we give them?? Raymond? Malholtra? Luongo?? There's no way they would take something like Raymond, Malholtra, and a 2nd Round pick or whatever, and there's no way they want Luo considering they already have Pekka Renne (sorry if his name is spelt wrong) behind the pipes

Weber's made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to stay in Nashville... don't you remember last years arbitration fiasco etc.?

when Weber's a UFA there's not a doubt in my mind he won't be wearing piss yellow anymore... He probably won't be wearing blue & green either... but i wouldn't rule it out, remember, he's a BC boy and grew up as a canucks fan. He'll want to come here, the only question is if management can get it done.

Yes but its not very realistic to acquire both, they'll both be wanting in excess of 7 million, weber might even be wanting 8 mil!

they'd both have to take amounts massively under market value to even hope to play together...

not many teams can afford to pay 15,000,000 for one defensive pairing... I think they realize that it's gonna be impossible for them to play with each other in 2 years time, unless they're willing to sign 5 million dollar contracts, instead of what they're actually worth.

I don't think it'd be quite that high a number of roster players. Remember Nashville has their own internal cap restrictions. I'd say 1-2 solid roster players that can contribute now, 1-2 blue chip prospects, and a 1st and 2nd round draft pick. In this case, Nashville will concerned more about quality than quantity in the return for Weber should they decide to trade him.

I agree that it is not likely that Nashville holds onto them both... what I am saying is that I don't think that they get to choose one or the other.

I don't see either wanting to sign long-term in Nashville separately. Suter will get a much better offer and from a contending team in the summer (Detroit would be an idea fit and they have a ton of cap space).

Weber will not want to sign longterm on a team that is not likely going anywhere by losing their good players to free agency.... so he will leave when he can.

Nashville isn't a team that can attract free agents without overpaying... so they either have to try to keep both and build around it, it go into constant rebuilding mode and accept they are a small payroll team.

At least that is my take on things.

I hope MG can get Suter more then Weber. Weber is the franchise and it seems He/Rinne are the core of that club. They won't be given up on as they are striving to improve.

Canucks would have to get rid of contracts of the likes of either Manny, Raymond, Ballard to make this move.

I am sorry, board rules indicate that the only time you are permitted to add entirely unrelated posts to threads is if they are on one of these pre-approved topics:

- How we shouldn't have traded Hodgson

- Acquiring Weber

- How we shouldn't have traded Grabner

- Acquiring Parise

- Eklund Sucks

- How you are a better fan than everyone else

- firing AV and/or MG

It is not out of range to think that Weber would sign here. However Vancouver would have to give back plenty to get him.

The way I see it:

Edler, Booth, Raymond for Weber.

Edler is a couple of years away from even being considered for a Norris. His spotty, undisciplined play in the playoffs is proof of this.

Booth is a great top 6 forward that never clicked in Vancouver, but could in Nashville

Raymond needs new digs.

Switching out Edler for Weber is a clear upgrade and can be done. Vancouver is a destination in the NHL, and will be for the forseeable future. Although someone within the organization should address the fans and ask that they retire the bandwagon.

Yes Gillis said a lot of things in his press conference, but there is also no guarantee that he will be here come October either.

The Canucks had a lacklustre year considering the roster they sport, and the Aquilini family was not pleased with the first round exit, and all the lost revenue.

Honestly, Gillis will be expected to make some sizable changes. This team didn't get it done, and all of Gillis' excuses don't hide the fact that the defense is sub par and the forwards lacking size and muscle. If the Canucks come back with the essentially the same roster, we will have essentially the same year.

depends how the playoffs go for preds. if they lose in 5 or 6 gms again in 2nd rd, maybe weber or suter had enough.

then nux need to move many pieces to free up enough cap space. ballard seems the most logical, 4+ million and not performing up to par.

Archived